Looking For Grow Room Advice Starting From Scratch - Have Some Ideas

kristas08

Hello 420 friends! I'm new here and looking for some help and understanding. I've read a bunch of posts and been doing research for a week or so now without purchasing anything. I would love if you guys could look over what I have so far and make some suggestions. I'm totally open to constructive criticism and any ideas that would be of assistance.

I grew up helping my uncle with his yearly outdoor grows and have seen many indoor setups but I have to admit I am not experienced in this area of expertise. I have an extra room I finally want to put to good use and I'm ready to start with a soil grow from seeds. The room has plenty of space for an 8x8 but due to costs i'm looking at something more like a 5x5 to start. I'm looking at the Gorilla tents and was wondering if you guys really recommend them vs. old fashioned mylar. If it is worth the price to you guys I will definitely invest in one for myself. I was thinking of running with a 1000w HID but I've also seen good yields with something like 4 400w Mars II's. That is my first real dilemma - which one is better for 3-4 Indica strain plants? I'm taking into account power usage, cost, heat, etc. I was looking at a 5x16 Phresh Carbon Filter @ 400 CFM. Then maybe a 6' fan?

My mother-in-law is quite the gardener(not of medicine, mostly foods/herbs) and has agreed to assist me as far as soil/nutrients/watering goes. I mostly need to configure the lighting/ventilation system to optimize the space i'm using. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

nothing wrong with mylar mate:) i prefer HID lighting over LED,not bagging LED's but they still have a long way to go "veg too long"

Sweet. Thanks for the reply. I'm glad I got someone to confirm that for me...I was thinkin man I could easily grab a roll and tape off the section without spending nearly as much. I've never seen someone using LED's but they seem to be growing in popularity. I think I will stick with HID's and maybe after a recoup some $$ I can think about investing in some high-tech-cool-color-veg-too-long LED's :high-five:

I see a lot of people getting the Apollo tents from Amazon and being happy. The Gorilla is 3 or 4 times the price if I am not mistaken. If you are starting small perhaps go with a 4x4 tent. In the future you could use it for vegging if you decide to add another tent for bloom, perhaps a 4x8. In the 4x4 a 1000 watt HID would be plenty! I would actually suggest a dimmable HID light if you go that route. Just know that with HID you will have some serious heat to deal with. If I were to go LED I would personally look at building my own CREE light setup. For around $500 it seems you can build a damn nice light if you are electrically inclined. Beyond that LED, in my very humble opinion, is a little more than I want to pay to get a good quality light. Moving on to the Phresh filters I would get a 6" of at least 400 CFM. I prefer to have too much capacity versus not enough. The Phresh filters seem to have good reviews among the community. Definitely go with at least a 6" fan for a 4x4 or 5x5 tent. There are tons of fans out there, you will notice a few brands that come up over and over with great reviews. My advice is to buy your light last. You never know what changes may happen in technology/price/etc. Plus you can research around here and see what kind of results people are getting from different lights. I bought everything at once and tend to wonder if I had to do it over again would I have gone with a different light.

Since you are starting out you may want to do a little research into Doc Bud's High Brix. Might make the growing pains a little bit easier.

I see a lot of people getting the Apollo tents from Amazon and being happy. The Gorilla is 3 or 4 times the price if I am not mistaken.

Juan, most of the cheap tents from Amazon are made in china, like most of the LED's. Don't trust the LED's and the tents are very cheaply made and will tear easily, bad zippers or velcro, and they leak air and light. They are just, IMHO, not worth the monies you will spend, buy USA made, maybe pay a bit more but the quality is worth it.

GR

Back
Top Bottom