Looking For Imput on A Good PH Checker

crypiter

Right now I have "The Checker" PH meter made by Hannah but I think the thing is a piece of crap. You have to calibrate it within 5 minutes of the last calibration. Sometimes even right after calibrating the thing is all over the place.So Im looking to get a new PH checker. Something that is reliable and requires less frequent calibration. Ideally Id like to pay in the range of $50-$100 but if it was really worth it I would go up to $120. I hope some of you will take some time and help out a fellow member. I would appreciate it greatly. Plus reps to anyone with solid input. Thanks in advance.
:rollit:

Milwaukee pH600 - Dirt-cheap ($25), resolution .1 pH, accuracy +/- .1 pH, manual 1-point (7.0) calibration, NON-replaceable electrode, no ATC (automatic temperature compensation).

Milwaukee pH51 - Cheap ($44-50), resolution .1 pH, accuracy +/- .1 pH, manual 2-point calibration, replaceable electrode, no ATC.

Milwaukee pH55 - Cheap ($50), resolution .1 pH, accuracy +/- .1 pH, automatic 2-point calibration, replaceable electrode, ATC with temperature display.

Milwaukee pH56 - Inexpensive ($65), resolution .01 pH, accuracy +/-.05 pH, automatic 2-point calibration, replaceable electrode, ATC with temperature display.

The last two will display from -2.00 to 16.00 which is a wider range than you're likely to ever need unless you're quite the mad scientist, lol. All except for the economy-rated pH600 are waterproof. I have used the pH600, the pH51, and the previous (different model #, discontinued) version of the pH56. As far as I've been able to learn, the pH56 seems to be at least as decent as the model it replaced. Most people that I've talked to either had no problems or (like any mass-produced electronic device, there are occasional factory-mistakes) had excellent warranty service.

I like hand-held meters as opposed to portables and bench meters because I can use them one-handed and I can easily test anything I want to even if it's in a remote location. I've had the best luck with Milwaukee brand and the local wastewater treatment plant has a couple for backup - and their main bench meters cost $$$$ so I'm guessing that they didn't pick the Milwaukees because they were cheap, lol.

Considering your budget and the fact that you've used a hand-held, I'd go with the '56. It's leaps and bounds over your Checker (been there, done that, calibration hassles and then it didn't like me using it to test the pH of anti-freeze lmfao).

I am the owner of a Hydroponic Store and after 25 years of experience and having every ph tester at my disposal, I personally prefere the simple ph drops it uses a chemical reaction. No calibration is required and readings are consistant. not to mention the cost.

This is over the top of the OPs request, it's also an indoor "Hydroponics Type" meter but, I just picked up the "Bluelab Combo Meter". It does EC/PPM/TDS, PH and also Temp. I got the portable because I have multiple reservoirs to keep on top of.
I just started using it this week but, so far this thing is so easy to use and fantastic in its function.
The price is gonna turn some peeps off, I got mine on eBay (I love eBay) for $200 usd, that's like $100 or more less than most other places I saw it for sale!

I don't mind paying top dollar for my electronics, you get what you pay for (kind of) LOL

sounds like the Checker tester needs a new probe. mine lasted a year and it did that which the senser probe wears out and will need replacement. the Checker part costs $20 on e-bay. other brand meters, especially the combo ones will still need a replacement part that costa a lot more. for instance, i wonder how much the Bluelab part would cost?

I know this is an old thread but extend probe life on your meters you should always rinse them after use with distilled water and keep the probe in an "electrode storage solution". This will also cutdown on the amount of times the probe will need to be replaced.

I know this is an old thread but extend probe life on your meters you should always rinse them after use with distilled water and keep the probe in an "electrode storage solution". This will also cutdown on the amount of times the probe will need to be replaced.

You probably know this already, but for those who do not, it's ok to rinse your probe in distilled water - but do not soak/store the probe in it.

You probably know this already, but for those who do not, it's ok to rinse your probe in distilled water - but do not soak/store the probe in it.

Good point TS I forgot about that o and in my last post at the end I meant it would need to be calibrated less often. Peace for now

Out of all the PH meters that we sell in our store the milwaukee PH 600 is our best seller price wise and dependability. I recently have brought in DO meters that display temp and DO (disolved oxygen) levels in your resovoir. When res temp is above 70 deg.your disolved oxygen level goes to shit no matter how many air stones your running. For info i use a large igloo boat cooler and it keeps water nice and cold especially if you drop in a liter or two of frozen water, will last a couple of days and keep the res around 65 degrees or cooler

Back
Top Bottom