Looking to set up efficient grow system

tonetone

Hey I am a new MM patient and Im looking to begin growing marijuana for my medicinal use. My grow system would be in the basement of my home, which is fairly large. The basement is unfinished with stone walls and dirts floors. There is only one door to get upstairs and two small windows.

I am new to marijuana or any type of plant growth. I've only slightly begun to understand the concept of organic vs hydroponic marijuana growth.

With all of this in mind and understanding that I am ready to invest a large amount to build a quality grow system, does anybody have an opinion as to what kind of grow system would be best for me? My top priority is that the bud come out as quality as possible. Be as specific and informative as possible, as I am really looking to master this craft to be able to have medicine of the highest quality.

Well how big do you want to get?I grow for me and my wife (MM patients), and right now I'm using a 1000w light in a closet.I'm also on a budget, so I have to keep cost down for now.

So tell us what you been thinking about doing, lights, plants, from there we can help you work something out,

Also what should I start with, clones or seeds?
seeds are always best, because you can get pest or diseases form clones, and being a noob and not knowing what to look for can cost you at the end

Other then that, clones are fine to have, just watch out for mites!!!

I think starting out with a Hempy bucket would be best. There are lots of growers on this site using hempy and you can find many detailed hempy journals. It is essentially any size bucket (I've seen many hempy buckets ranging from trash bins, 5 gallon buckets, and the popular 2Liter hempy) with 1 to 2 holes drilled 1"-2" (depends on container) from the bottom of the bucket. The reason for these holes is when you water, the excess water will drain out the holes leaving a 1-2" reservoir of water at the bottom. The medium wicks up the water to feed the plant, some refer to it as the ghetto mans hydro. You can find lots of great information by searching hempy bucket on google.

Two great mediums for Hempy's are 75% perlite/ 25% vermiculite

Or coco coir which can be used alone or cut with 25-50% perlite

One thing you definitely don't want to skimp on is lights and nutrients. If you get at least a 600watt, light intensity/penetration is one less thing to worry about. The bigger the better!

Hydro nutrients or as I like to refer to them as synthetics are much easier and forgiving for a beginner. They are much easier to burn your plants so be careful and make sure you ph your water to the proper level or certain nutrients will be locked out creating deficiencies.

Organics take more money to get started and require more care and attention but your awarded a few things, such as not worrying about your waters ph, and healthier tastier buds. Some report a slight loss of yield but personally I prefer quality vs. quantity. Organics rely on a healthy living soil in which you feed the microbes in the soil, not the plant. In return these microbes feed your plant, like a symbiotic relationship.

Blue Planet Nutrients is a sponsor on this site and has awesome nutrients at an affordable price. Not to mention Corey formulates them specifically for cannabis :thumb:

Seeds are the way to go because of things like 209 Cali mentioned. If you order seeds from a seedbank like attitude or sammies you can choose strains that appeal to you. Breeders also list the genetic lineage on the seedbanks and give you an estimate of how long the flowering time is. For instance my LA con finishes in 45-56 days whereas some sativas take 10-12 or even up to 14 weeks, thats a huge difference.

Welcome to 420, you came to the right place.
:welcome:

I may suggest you keep it as simple as possible for your first time. Get to know the plant and its life cycle of growth. After you get a couple of grows under your belt you can venture into more complicated grow methods. An extremely simple system is using a controlled release fertilizer such as "Osmocote Plus". There are other options as well, but I will keep it relevant and simple to what I believe you are wanting to accomplish. OC+ as we call it is as simple as, apply when planting then you water and forget about it. No mixing, no worry about grow or bloom nutrients. Just add OC+ and water, then watch it grow.
:morenutes:

There are a few growers here such as myself using it. I am running trials as I type, in my grow room. Visit my journal (link in my sig) and feel free to ask any questions you may have. My journal takes a grow from seed to perpetual cloning. All on OC+. I do tweak a bit and add a few small items along the way but they will do fine on just OC+. You can choose to run a hempy or soil grow with it to suit yourself. Hempy is a good choice for a first time. I would suggest a perlite hempy perhaps with some vermiculite added to it but not necessary. You would basicaly sprinkle the OC+ and then water the darn thing every few days once it matures a bit. You can start out in a hempy cup made from your average 20oz. drink cup. End up in any container of 2l or larger depending on your space. We have a movement here on 420 of growers transitioning to 2 liter soda bottles for production value. So the sky is the limit and it's all about your needs, your desire to grow, and the care you wish to give it.

Good Luck in your desire to grow, and hit me up anytime if I can be of assistance.
:peace:

Thank you all for the help Ill be reading your guy's journal to se what I can learn from them!!

In terms of how big I want to go, I believe the max in Michigan is 12 so if it wouldnt be too overwhelming for a noob, I'd like to start right out with the maximum allotted number of plants

Its all your choice, read as many journals as you can. Pick one that suits you and stick with it for a while. Ask questions and see if you understand and can gather all that is needed. My best advice no matter how you choose to grow is get everything in place before starting.

Back
Top Bottom