To scrog or not to scrog?

jcshap

I plan to grow in my basement, where the ceilings are 12 feet. I will cover the room in mylar. I am limited by law to 12 plants so I want to maximize yield (who doesnt). I am trying to figure out if I should just let the girls grow as big as they want or should I scrog? I will be growing in current culture under current system. Havent decided what to do with the lights yet, but I am open and willing to use whatever is most efficient.

All suggestions welcome

It's been my observation that generally a 10ft plant will produce more than a 5ft plant under the same conditions.

Well wont that depend on how much it buds underneath? The real question is will a 10 ft plant left to grow alone produce more than a 5 foot plant under scrog method?

I wouldn't grow big plants indoors unless you have extra lighting.

Nothing beats the sun, or penetrates like it. So indoor large plants tend to have wasteful buds on the button, unless one using sufficient side lighting/supplementally lighting.

OK well I can put lighting in the side if that is the best idea for yield. Bascially I have the space and I can get whatever equiptment I need. Just hoping to find the best alternative so I can plan it properly. Are you saying big plants with lights on the side will do better than scrog?

Thanks

"Well wont that depend on how much it buds underneath? The real question is will a 10 ft plant left to grow alone produce more than a 5 foot plant under scrog method?"

I would think a ten foot plant scrogged would produce more than the same plant at five foot.
Keep in mind I did say under the same conditions. He isn't going to be able to go that high.
He could do the 12 plants knee, waist or head high. Wouldn't you be able to have a wider canopy with the taller plants?
The light footprint will really determine how high he can go in that space.

OK before we get lost....I have 12 foot ceilings, so can go pretty much as high as I want. I have alot of space, so can fill it with lights, including on the side if needed. I have a limit of 12 plants under the law. So, ideas for what to do for best yield? I have about a month to plan this correctly and buy the necessary equipment.

Thanks again

I would go with 12 large plants with an rwdc system. Let them go from seed to end of veg for about 3.5 months then start to flower. If you grow the right strain you'll get monster plants. During veg you could also train them to improve yield. Look into lst. A rdwc system will allow you to grow big plants and if you build it right its easy to maintain. Lots of room for root growth in a 5 gallon bucket. To do a 12 bucket rdwc system right will cost you a few bucks to setup but the end result is worth it.

Good luck

I grew a scrog with my last grow (check out my 1st grow journal). It worked really well. When growing indoors, I think that Scrog works really well because it keeps the canopy at an even level and makes each plants and each cola get the same amount of light. When you let them grow out naturally, you end up with areas on the sides of the plant that just doesn't get as much light. I am on my second grow. And, this time I am letting them grow up naturally. But, I am growing in an enclosed box and I am limited on space. If you have all the space in the world .... try growing them out. See if you like it. Then, on your next one, try scrogging them. Then decide what you like the best. There are some things to keep in mind when using a SCROG.

1. Plant placement. Once they grow into the screen, you can't move them. Make sure you have them where you want them.

2. Space to work around the plant. If you scrog and your plants are 3 deep and 3 wide. Then you simply won't be able to get into the middle of the plants to work on the center plant. Make sure you leave enough space to get to the plants you need to get too.

3. Keep in mind. If you have a drastic problem, you are forced to deal with it as is. You can't pull out all your plants to deal with the issue since they are all intertwined in the screen. You'll be forced to work around the screen.

4. I would use multiple screens with only a couple of plants per screen. That way, you can move them around a little.

I'll think of more eventually, but that's all I got for now.

Great info, thanks. Im thinking along the same lines, although I think im going scrog first and grow tall on my next. Think im going to set up a 12 plant system as 6 deep and 2 wide, so I can get to both sides (thanks for that). If I do it that way then I think 1 screen could be good, although maybe Ill do 2 just for more ease.

I grew a scrog with my last grow (check out my 1st grow journal). It worked really well. When growing indoors, I think that Scrog works really well because it keeps the canopy at an even level and makes each plants and each cola get the same amount of light. When you let them grow out naturally, you end up with areas on the sides of the plant that just doesn't get as much light. I am on my second grow. And, this time I am letting them grow up naturally. But, I am growing in an enclosed box and I am limited on space. If you have all the space in the world .... try growing them out. See if you like it. Then, on your next one, try scrogging them. Then decide what you like the best. There are some things to keep in mind when using a SCROG.

1. Plant placement. Once they grow into the screen, you can't move them. Make sure you have them where you want them.

2. Space to work around the plant. If you scrog and your plants are 3 deep and 3 wide. Then you simply won't be able to get into the middle of the plants to work on the center plant. Make sure you leave enough space to get to the plants you need to get too.

3. Keep in mind. If you have a drastic problem, you are forced to deal with it as is. You can't pull out all your plants to deal with the issue since they are all intertwined in the screen. You'll be forced to work around the screen.

4. I would use multiple screens with only a couple of plants per screen. That way, you can move them around a little.

I'll think of more eventually, but that's all I got for now.

What Mutt said.

Other thing to bear in mind is a scrog will significantly increase your veg time. If you do a perpetual grow with an individual porta-scrog type system (see Vick's journal here) you could get the timing set up and pull a shit load on a regular basis, but the first grow will take you a couple of months to get the screens filled before flipping 12/12.

I thought scrog would be a shorter veg time? Just veg for a month or so into the screen etc. Of course the first grow would take time, but from there it is quicker than growing plants straight up, no?

As it hits the screen ideally you want to bend and train it back under until you've filled the screen about 60-80% (depending on strain and how much stretch you might get following change to 12/12) and this can take some time.

It will depend on the size of your screen of course, but in my opinion if you scrog it properly you'll add to veg time quite a bit - just letting it hit the screen and then flipping to 12/12 isn't really a scrog, you might as well just let it grow straight up and then flip. My current grow was over 2 months in veg to fill the screen (40x60cm) to a sufficient point to flip the lights. You're basically growing a larger plant but using the screen to keep the growth horizontal and at at an even height, maximising the horizontal space you have, so that when you flower you have a large number of tops growing in an even canopy and getting equal light distribution. You also want to remove the growth under the screen once flowering so if you don't make the most of the screen then you'll not get the maximum yield possible. Check out my current grow (I'm now a couple of weeks in flower) and also Jon's - his is a fantastic example of scrog. Essentially you're growing larger plants and keeping them low, but larger plants need longer veg time

Back
Top Bottom