Looking to try my first grow

bigdog1002

I would like some suggestions on a set-up.. I've read through a lot of forums, but there's so much conflicting info that I'm about at information overload now. My available space is about 2' X 2.5' X 5 ft high. I'm looking to maximize my yield in the space available (duh.. lol).

1) Should I try to grow a few plants to about 3-4 ft? I've heard that ScrOG is a good idea in limited space but I don't really have a room for a mother plant to take clones off of. I will be growing from feminized seed btw.
2) Soil? I was going to go with Fox Farms bc I've read good things but then I read that it's too acidic and hurts the plants.
3) Lighting? I wanna keep my energy costs down but I also want nice buds. Methods of air circulation and odor control?
4) Nutrients? I was leaning toward the Fox Farms 3 pack. Some people say use them at 1/4 strength. Other people say follow the .pdf on their website exactly (not the instructions on the bottle).

Thanks for all your help.

hi BigDog :welcome:

I started in a closet about 2 x 2 x 5, and used a 150 w hps light. I am in week 7 of flower on my first plant, and have already gotten bit by the bug, and have started building a new room.. :)

so, just look out, cause it is way addicting,, (growing that is,, not smoking,, )

I would like some suggestions on a set-up.. I've read through a lot of forums, but there's so much conflicting info that I'm about at information overload now
I hear ya,, there is so much info, it does tend to get the eyes crossed.. but there are tons of people here, that are knowledgeable and helpful...

1) Should I try to grow a few plants to about 3-4 ft? I've heard that ScrOG is a good idea in limited space but I don't really have a room for a mother plant to take clones off of. I will be growing from feminized seed btw
never done scrog or sog, but have read about very impressive results... with only the one space though, I think it would be hard,, you may want to just grow 1 or 2 out, and then start over with new girls? there are tons of people doing scrog on here, so I am sure some will chime in..

2) Soil? I was going to go with Fox Farms bc I've read good things but then I read that it's too acidic and hurts the plants.
I see alot of people using the Fox Farm Ocean Forest (FFOF), and most have very good things to say about it (although I think most also mix in some perlite for drainage), I am using the biocanna line myself, and it has been great (but with only one girl growing,, I really do not have the experience to differentiate)

3) Lighting? I wanna keep my energy costs down but I also want nice buds. Methods of air circulation and odor control?
most people on here say rule of thumb is 50 watts per sq ft.. so a 250w should be good for you? for ventilation, I think 1 air change a minute is recceomended,, (more for cooling effects?)

4) Nutrients? I was leaning toward the Fox Farms 3 pack. Some people say use them at 1/4 strength. Other people say follow the .pdf on their website exactly (not the instructions on the bottle).
I use the canna line,, there is a good thread about the different nutes A Poll To See What Kind Of Nutes Are Preferred

anyways, I think I may have given you more questions than answers,, but I hope I helped a little? also Roseman has a great thread on odor control,, DIY Odor Control Bucket

:bong:

I was actually thinking of going with 400W HPS.. since I have about 5 sq ft, I was thinking of just growing 4 plants and see how it goes. Do you think 400W is too much?

certainly not...

400w is not too much light. As long as you stay on top of temperature your in for a great grow.

EDIT: have you looked into LED's by any chance?

advantages....lower electric bill, less heat.

disadvantage...newer technology...still pricey. ppl get nice thick buds from them tho

I just ordered the Osram Plantastar 400W.. gonna try that for my first time and see how it goes.. since I'm in a closet (it's a sliding door.. may have to keep it closed), what kind of circulation/exhaust system is recommended? I've looked at some reflectors with vent fittings, though I'm not sure how that whole setup works

4" tubing. exhaust in and out. 4" inline fan. look at other people's grows to get a good idea

in my litle closet now, I got 2 small fans, you know the ones everyone uses in the corp cube farms.. one has a spring clip on it, (like to clip to the edge of a desk) and the other is a small unit twith its own base. I got panda film on my closet door, but... I was stoned when I put it in and ended up putting the zipper on upside down,,lol

but it worked out,, I open the top and leave it open a bit, and have the clip on fan pointed at the opening.. the other on I have on the floor and I lifted up the bottom of the panda film a bit, so the bottom sucks air in and the top one blows out,, was cheap (I had the fans).... only time door is completely closed and panda film tapes up is when lights are off,,,

diesel... great link,

Back
Top Bottom