trying to learn to sog

dirrin

so i want to try a sog grow i have a 1000w hps and a 4'x4' area to fill for flower. being I've never done a sog grow i have many questions. i'm wondering how many girls i can put in that space an what size pots to use? what are the pros and cons of doing sog vs just 4, 4-5 ft plants? i have a few strains that i can use what ones do you think would be best for this style?

Strains i have

barneys-farm-pineapple-chunk
dutch-passion-blueberry
barneys-farm-critical-kush
paradise-seeds-belladonnal
caramelicious

Hi Dirrin,

The 1000 watter will be more than enough for a SOG grow. Are you just going with HPS or are you going to veg with MH? I would research your strains first before deciding though. Some strains like to grow nice and tall and don't like to be manipulated with Topping & LST techniques to keep them low & bushy. You would easily be able to at least grow 6 plants in 3 gallon pots, maybe more depending how tight you can get them together. It's harder to work on the plants when they are real close together and they will need more ventilation.

Hi Dirrin,

The 1000 watter will be more than enough for a SOG grow. Are you just going with HPS or are you going to veg with MH? I would research your strains first before deciding though. Some strains like to grow nice and tall and don't like to be manipulated with Topping & LST techniques to keep them low & bushy. You would easily be able to at least grow 6 plants in 3 gallon pots, maybe more depending how tight you can get them together. It's harder to work on the plants when they are real close together and they will need more ventilation.

If I'm not wrong the point of sog is to have 1 main cola an no Bush an I have both mh an hps so that would depend on the size of clones but ideally it would be no veg and perpetual if that's possible with the space stated

language is important. terminology is important.

you can try to convince me your Toyota is a Ferrari, but I'm not easily fooled.

SOG is a specific style of growing, mostly using clones.

here's a link to a very helpful site:

How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

so you think i have not read those yet? Maybe some the new people are right you guys have gone down hill or only like 5 people on this site are actually helpful. hosebomber being the biggest helper here.

Dirrin, hello and :welcome: !!!

I myself do sog grown in a 4x4 footprint, if you use 2liter pop bottles(hempy)you can fit 162 2liters in that 4x4 footprint. Your 1000watt hps will do more than enough to fully cover AND penetrate your canopy,given you find the "sweet spot" for your canopy height to light distance.

To answer your second question, pros to sog IMO< if you have your cloning down'(2weeks fully rooted with roots long enough to reach the bottom of your res and ready to transplant) you can have a perpetual cycle and strain dependent ie, fast finisher,easy cloning, and get a harvest in once a month or once every two weeks depending on how you time it. So if you have all of your variables down, speed is a great pro. Cons, watering, with that many plants, if you don't mind hand watering ,which i love, you'll have to rig some type of watering system as the clones will drink the res dry quickly again, depending on the strain, grower, environment et find water that many plants by hand tedious.

The 4-5 plant option, ive also grown "trees". IMO< if you have a nice system down,scrog,lolipopping,lst, supercropping,monstercropping etc. will give you great yields and less plants to water so watering time is cut down exponentially. Remember, with bigger plants comes a longer veg time.so, if you are vegging for two months, then flowering for two months, thats a four month turnaround per harvest,which is 3 harvests per year. If you have a healthy mother plant established, and are getting healthy and ready to transplant clones in two weeks that are ready flip to flower,you are increasing your harvests by at 3 least. Note* it does take at least a month to two to get your mother/s established to start producing enough viable clones to make your runs.

I don't have any experience with any of the strains you have, but, i he run as much as 7 different strains at the same time all sog. Just to learn the strains and their growth characteristics, nute requirements,etc. it was hell but a task i thoroughly enjoyed.
All said, whether you choose sog or growing out a few plants at a time, make sure you at least take clones so you'll have an jump start on your next choice if you do decide to go a different route. Hope this helps!

Stay Frosty,
CaneyeBus
h

so you think i have not read those yet? Maybe some the new people are right you guys have gone down hill or only like 5 people on this site are actually helpful. hosebomber being the biggest helper here.

so you read up on everything, but still don't know how to do it, and now you're putting attitude on those who are trying to assist you, because they haven't read your mind to get the full story?

enjoy your stay :Namaste:

Dirrin, hello and :welcome: !!!

I myself do sog grown in a 4x4 footprint, if you use 2liter pop bottles(hempy)you can fit 162 2liters in that 4x4 footprint. Your 1000watt hps will do more than enough to fully cover AND penetrate your canopy,given you find the "sweet spot" for your canopy height to light distance.

To answer your second question, pros to sog IMO< if you have your cloning down'(2weeks fully rooted with roots long enough to reach the bottom of your res and ready to transplant) you can have a perpetual cycle and strain dependent ie, fast finisher,easy cloning, and get a harvest in once a month or once every two weeks depending on how you time it. So if you have all of your variables down, speed is a great pro. Cons, watering, with that many plants, if you don't mind hand watering ,which i love, you'll have to rig some type of watering system as the clones will drink the res dry quickly again, depending on the strain, grower, environment et find water that many plants by hand tedious.

The 4-5 plant option, ive also grown "trees". IMO< if you have a nice system down,scrog,lolipopping,lst, supercropping,monstercropping etc. will give you great yields and less plants to water so watering time is cut down exponentially. Remember, with bigger plants comes a longer veg time.so, if you are vegging for two months, then flowering for two months, thats a four month turnaround per harvest,which is 3 harvests per year. If you have a healthy mother plant established, and are getting healthy and ready to transplant clones in two weeks that are ready flip to flower,you are increasing your harvests by at 3 least. Note* it does take at least a month to two to get your mother/s established to start producing enough viable clones to make your runs.

I don't have any experience with any of the strains you have, but, i he run as much as 7 different strains at the same time all sog. Just to learn the strains and their growth characteristics, nute requirements,etc. it was hell but a task i thoroughly enjoyed.
All said, whether you choose sog or growing out a few plants at a time, make sure you at least take clones so you'll have an jump start on your next choice if you do decide to go a different route. Hope this helps!

Stay Frosty,
CaneyeBus
h

Thank you very much that was a great help and I'm thinking of going with 1 gallon grow bags a lil bigger then 2 litres but easy to get. I have np getting the clones I plan to find how many I can fit total of the 1 gallon bags in my space and splitting them into 4 groups to try and get a harvest every 2 weeks or so.

Back
Top Bottom