HEEEELP - SOGing in Soil

TnarapsnarT

I have been researching for over a month about growing and have learned quite a bit. I would like to do an indoor SOG in soil with an approx 4'X6' grow area but all the info I have read on SOGing is for hydro. If I can SOG in soil, what size pots? Is all SOG info the same for soil as hydro? Has anyone done SOG in soil and how did it work out and how is yield in soil vs. hydro. I have just started my first ever seeds (12 of the little buggers - White Widow, Aussie Blue and ?'s) and will also be receiving 2 clones shortly. I am a sponge. Fill me up so I can produce quality and quantity! Many thanks to those who take the time and energy to respond.

sogs can be done in soil. I'd go with 1 gal pots max. The way you train the plant is the same for soil or hydro. You want to end up with bean pole colas. I've done sog in both soil and hydro. Both yielded okay. I mean we are talking about SOG here. Without a ton of plants the yield will suck no matter what. Big plants are where the big yields are. Sogs are more work per plant with less yield per plant. When I do the math it doesn't add up. But I do recognize that some are height restricted and like SOGs.

Well, I guess part of my problem is I'm not sure what to do. I thought I would SCRoG but for a first timer, I think it is a lot of work. I was going to use my spare bathroom but it is a common bathroom and if I ever have company then it would be a problem. I live in the country on five acres but it is mostly forested with little light and I do have neighbors on one side fairly close. I have a chicken coop about 60 feet from my house but our area is really cold most of the time and summer temps rarely go past 75. So that isn't really an option electricity wise. I was going to have family move in but I think they might not so now I can use my spare bedroom. It's 11x14 approx. with windows on two exterior walls. Space isn't a problem but money is. My little seeds have sprouted 5 seedlings and I guess I better decide quick. I think the biggest issue I have is lighting. It is also the most expensive issue in growing I have decided. If I grow in 5 gal buckets how can I get light cheaply to all the plants. Or is cheap out of the question. Living in the country I have a lot of "junk" to utilize. I am a true pack rat but I don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face and make tons more work out of a simple project. I don't have heat issues because my house stays 40-55 degrees Farenheit most of the year. We open the doors in the spring and summer to get heat in as the summer temp never goes above about 68 inside.

FatJoe - SWIM originally was going to scrog because thought there would be a space issue. Planted 12 seeds and now 11 of them have become seedlings. There should be a grow log on them because of course, they are the most beautiful little seedlings in the world ;). Swim's sister would be proud. Now inspired to re-plant tomato seeds in the exact same manner! Anyway, so new to this and don't want to get bogged down in details and miss this whole growing experience. Seeds are 6 White widow, 4 Blue Aussie and 2 mystery seeds. One mystery still in hiding as hasn't shown it's head yet. Guess will grow the plants in a low manner and figure out the lighting. Just a little overwhelmed.

40 watt per bulb 4 foot dual bulb shop florescent light fixtures. They run $10.00 to $15.00 per fixture. Bulbs are about $3.00 to $5.00 each. usually in the $3.00 range though. So for about 20 bucks you can have 80 watts of light. 2 of those will let you veg what you have right now for a month or so. Another option are these CFL's from lights of america. model 9265 and 9266 both are the same light. One is white and one is brown. I've been using these floros for veg and clones for 5 years now. 1 per square foot works excellent and gives one extremely tight internodes. You could probably get by at 1.5 sf per light and be alright. Or you could do what boss has done and pile on the smaller cfl's you can get at walmart and use 2 into one splitters galore.lol None are really cheap. 12 plants is a lot for any grow and IMO the best way for you in the long run is a 400 or 600 or even a 1000 watt HPS. I mean if your going to do this and spend money you might as well buy the correct and best right away. Otherwise you end up collecting a ton of equipment and spending twice as much as you really ever needed to.

Back
Top Bottom