Lower fan leaves turning yellow and dying?

In all my time I've grown...A LOT, of varieties..... Last 10 years. I grow Sour Diesel ONLY because of very good consistency.. this year they topped out at about 15 Feet. stalk resembles the Large end of a Baseball Bat. 30 Gallon Pots, Fox Farm soil,PH 6.1. I feed magnesium like you put in a bathtub for sore Muscles and General Hydro "Grow" then General Hydro "Bloom".
Nothing else. I flush for 2 weeks 3X a week with clean PH water.
Thats it. I grow 6 Plants Only ..
Old musician Friends. LOL It's called WEED for a reason. LOL And what I do with all the shake and stuff is make Hash Pucks on a screen about the size of a thick Nickel. Takes maybe 3 Minutes each with a Press and a hair Dryer.Turns into Powder when weed is very dry and screen is very fine...

NEW MASONS JAR.jpg

CAT 11737 A MARIJUANA DRYING SCREEN.jpg

I’m not sure I got the seed from smoked weed. But I think its God bud. It’s outdoor and has been out there since a seedling which I germinated at the beginning of July. It’s a photo period plant and I haven’t checked the trichomes with a scope. Would a magnifying glass work? I thought you harvest when the pistils have turned red or orange looking. I use to water everyday but the weather has been pretty cool out here the last 2 weeks and it has taken a week for the soil to dry out enough to water again. And if I pull the yellow leaves off more turn yellow faster so I leave them on so the plant can suck everything from that leaf before it moves on to the next ones. Ahhhh I just love it when it’s all green and gorgeous looking. Lo

So if it is God Bud, according to Leafly it should be ready for harvest outdoor in mid to late Oct. which means you might have 2 to 4 weeks left. It also says that it is a heavy feeder which could account for the yellow leaves you are seeing from possible nitrogen deficiency. I would keep feeding with the Miracle Grow Bloom you were using. That has plenty of nitrogen and plenty of P and K for bloom. As much as you my love to see your plant all green, it's normal for it to start yellowing and dropping leaves as you get close to harvest

From what I've read, you can go by the pistils but it isn't as accurate as actually looking at the trichomes in the bud. If you don't have a hand held microscope or a jeweler's loop, you could use the camera on your phone. There are free magnifying apps you can download or just use your phone's zoom lens and a magnifying glass put up to the phone camera lens to get in close enough to see the trichomes and see if they are clear, cloudy or turning amber. It's all personal preference but a good general guideline is to harvest when most are cloudy with a few (10% to 20%) amber. Also focus on the trichomes in the buds because the trichomes on the sugar leaves (leaves around the bud) will mature a lot sooner and they can be all amber while the bud still has a couple weeks to go. You can search this forum or look up youtube videos for ways to view trichomes up close with your phone. They also sell some pretty cheap handheld microscopes and usb microscopes for your phone or laptop like Xploview.

Are you able to move your plant indoors or in a shelter if you get bad weather or frost?

So if it is God Bud, according to Leafly it should be ready for harvest outdoor in mid to late Oct. which means you might have 2 to 4 weeks left. It also says that it is a heavy feeder which could account for the yellow leaves you are seeing from possible nitrogen deficiency. I would keep feeding with the Miracle Grow Bloom you were using. That has plenty of nitrogen and plenty of P and K for bloom. As much as you my love to see your plant all green, it's normal for it to start yellowing and dropping leaves as you get close to harvest

From what I've read, you can go by the pistils but it isn't as accurate as actually looking at the trichomes in the bud. If you don't have a hand held microscope or a jeweler's loop, you could use the camera on your phone. There are free magnifying apps you can download or just use your phone's zoom lens and a magnifying glass put up to the phone camera lens to get in close enough to see the trichomes and see if they are clear, cloudy or turning amber. It's all personal preference but a good general guideline is to harvest when most are cloudy with a few (10% to 20%) amber. Also focus on the trichomes in the buds because the trichomes on the sugar leaves (leaves around the bud) will mature a lot sooner and they can be all amber while the bud still has a couple weeks to go. You can search this forum or look up youtube videos for ways to view trichomes up close with your phone. They also sell some pretty cheap handheld microscopes and usb microscopes for your phone or laptop like Xploview.

Are you able to move your plant indoors or in a shelter if you get bad weather or frost?
When I get bad weather I move her closer to my house and cover and shield her with a huge patio umbrella. She’s way too big to even get in a doorway. I’d say she’s about 9-10 feet tall and about 6-7 feet wide. So you think I should give her a full dose of 15-30-15?

How often are you watering now? If you are watering 2 times a week I would give her a half dose with each watering. If you are watering 3 times a week I would give her 1/3rd and so on. If you are watering only once a week I guess you could give her the full dose but with her size, I doubt you are watering only once a week. I would always water to run off (at least 10%) to prevent salt buildup. When it looks like she is just about ready by the trichomes to be harvested, I would use only water for that last week.

How often are you watering now? If you are watering 2 times a week I would give her a half dose with each watering. If you are watering 3 times a week I would give her 1/3rd and so on. If you are watering only once a week I guess you could give her the full dose but with her size, I doubt you are watering only once a week. I would always water to run off (at least 10%) to prevent salt buildup. When it looks like she is just about ready by the trichomes to be harvested, I would use only water for that last week.
I was watering every other day but it’s been cool here and after I flushed her it took a week to dry enough to water again. I flushed because when I saw the yellow starting I feed her 15-30-15 with cal-mag and molasses all in the same water. I then started to see what looked like multiple deficiencies. So I thought P toxicity. So I flushed. When I watered again after flush I gave 1/2 dose of 15-30-15 with nothing else and I saw no difference. She’s still yellowing at what I think is a pretty fast rate. And every time I water I make sure to get 10% runoff because I’m new and I don’t ph balance anything. Next year I’m going to do it right but I really want to get something good off this girl. Thanks for all your help :)

I was watering every other day but it’s been cool here and after I flushed her it took a week to dry enough to water again. I flushed because when I saw the yellow starting I feed her 15-30-15 with cal-mag and molasses all in the same water. I then started to see what looked like multiple deficiencies. So I thought P toxicity. So I flushed. When I watered again after flush I gave 1/2 dose of 15-30-15 with nothing else and I saw no difference. She’s still yellowing at what I think is a pretty fast rate. And every time I water I make sure to get 10% runoff because I’m new and I don’t ph balance anything. Next year I’m going to do it right but I really want to get something good off this girl. Thanks for all your help :)
You're going to be fine. The fan leaves turning yellow and falling off are normal for this time of year just like the tree leaves changing color and falling off. I'd keep feeding the Miracle Grow Bloom because you need to keep the buds growing until harvest. My plants leaves are turning yellow too.

Back
Top Bottom