Fan leaves are dying

putembk

Help, I am two weeks into flower and my biggest fan leaves are turning a purplish color and then yellow and I suppose the will die next. Any Ideas?

i am having the same issue with my gdp and master kush. fan leaves turing yellow and dying off or fall off when i shake the plant. the buds look so nice tho it makes up for yellow ugly leaves. i hear some plants are malnutrient and it doesnt effect the flowers just the leaves. i could be wrong. but you tend to lose those fan leaves when flowering does take affect, because most of the nutrition is going to the buds not the leaves. its varies with every strain tho.

i do have some yellow leaves kind of turnin purp but die off and some are turnin purp staying purp along with the buds. i wouldn't worry too much if the buds are producing nice.

Have you completely shut down the nitrogen?

I know in the school of grow you always cut the nitrogen when you put them into flower. I use to think this was to help trigger them into the flower, but it also may have been to keep them from stretching while in flowering. I have been thinking it is better to back off the nitrogen in stages. Slowly phasing it out. That is what I am doing now.

purple is normally the sign of cold, ive got mine turning purple, is it an outside grow? i doesnt matter though any way. as mystic said, the plant put its effort into bud and withdraws the energy from the leaves.

Have you completely shut down the nitrogen?

I know in the school of grow you always cut the nitrogen when you put them into flower. I use to think this was to help trigger them into the flower, but it also may have been to keep them from stretching while in flowering. I have been thinking it is better to back off the nitrogen in stages. Slowly phasing it out. That is what I am doing now.

excess nitrogen in bloom delays flowering....

excess nitrogen in bloom delays flowering....

The key word is excess, although I do not know how true that statement even is. In nature or in a natural compost you do not shut down the N like a light switch for instance I am currently feeding my flowering girls in decreasing doses of nitrogen with reasonable success. I just spike my bloom food with a little N. I am still getting new leaf growth, keeping the big ones alive, and I am blooming to my schedule. I am sure there are other factors, but I am not stretching either.

But I do know the old school thought of completely cutting off the N. I have come to put that statement back on the table for further review. I will do it in a separate thread.

I think I'm just being optimistic this is not the first time this has happened and I have tried everything else so I hope this solves the problem.

How much, why and during what weeks in veg? WTF is causing this to happen? I'm on my 5th grow and it has happened every time. Each time I try something different through my research and advice from others but It is happening again. I have always gotten a great harvest but all large fan leaves continue to die until the plant has matured. Also, since bat guano will help in veg, what can I do to stop or slow what is in flower? Thanks man.

I had a very similar issue for several grows. I even noticed some yellowing of the older leaves when in veg. I fed once with a bat guano tea early in veg and noticed that the growth was vibrant and dark green. As time went on I noticed that there wasn't any more yellowing until the end of the bloom cycle (normal). One other thing I started doing was to trim the lower undergrowth from the soil line up about 8-10 inches for better airflow around the plant when I flipped 'em to flower....

You can give guano in flower, but is has to be peruvian guano (high in P). Mexican guano (high in N) for veg......I prefer to make a tea and add the tea to feed water.

I use Old Age grow, bloom and kelp along with Nirvana, Hygrozyme and molasses in veg and Advanced Nutrients in flower. I will also throw in a little cal/mag and Epsom salt. Hopefully the bat guano will help.

If you grow in soil I would strongly recommend the use of dolomite lime as a soil amendment. This will insure ph stability throughout your gro and has all the cal/mag in it you need for entire gro. I was going to include Hygrozyme in my list but it isn't a nutrient...:)

All good things to consider. Will keep adjusting till I get it right, having the time of my life. What a job.:peace:

Back
Top Bottom