Lumatek Ballast

At looking at the store bought light movers, there are two types. One is 6 rpm and the other is 10 rpm. Is there going to be much of a difference in lighting. Any experiences?
I'm thinking of using a 600 watt. Seems they are the cheapest to run and you can have the light real close to the plants, esp. when it is moving.
I will buy both a conversion bulb along with the hps.
It has been brought to my attention that a 600 may not have enough light on a 6 foot light mover.
I also would like to add two lights to the light mover by adding another 6 foot piece. Saves on energy and hoping to get good results.

I also read some info about Lumatek and RF noise. It seems Lumatek and other digital ballasts have issues with RF noise. RF noise causes radios in the vacinity of the ballast to not work properly. Basically all you'll hear is static. Some ballast owners report that they have noise up to a 30 foot radius of the ballasts. Some people say that it will even interfere with police radios.

I have just gone thru RF noise thing with Lumatek. Spent 2 days on the phone with hydro store and Lumatek. All the ballasts have been fixed except the 1000 watt. I have a Nutradip Tri Meter and the ballast rendered it completely useless from 15 ft. away. Even knocked out the Sat. TV.

Thought I would chime in here and share my experience.
I have the new purple 600W Doomatek bought in Feb of 08. It has caused me countless of hours trying to figure out why my Growtronix environment controller was loosing communication. Growtronix even replaced my system.

I spoke with Chris at Lumatek support. He claims that they never heard of this RF problem and that all ballast are tested for RF noise. BS!!! search google and you will find many people complaining. Chris said he was going to contact GT and then get back to me. A week has passed, I emialed them again, still no reply.

I bought it from Greentrees hydro. They said that they are no longer selling them because of all the problems and returns. At least they are offering to give me $60 towards this unit that they recommend. That was a waste of $200.00 plus countless hours trying to figure out what was going on.
Power House ballasthttps://www.hydroponics.net/c/297

Does anyone know if Lumatek has fixed their (lack of) RF shielding issue? It would really suck to buy one in the future only to learn that I'd have to return it due to the interference (everyone has satellite tv around here), not to mention the next door neighbor would most likely throw a fit if his scanner radio was rendered useless.

BtW, don't you hate it when a business refuses to admit to a known problem?

What is the wattage (power consumed) by a 400 watt, 600 watt and the 1000 watt Lumatek Ballast digital.

A 400 uses 400 watts 600 used 600 watts and so on.

I know that electronic ballasts are more effecient than magnetic ones. But are you saying that someone has actually invented a 100% effecient electrical device lol? Or do you mean that they don't actually send the entire 400, 600, and 1000 watts to the bulbs?

Does anyone know if Lumatek has fixed their (lack of) RF shielding issue? It would really suck to buy one in the future only to learn that I'd have to return it due to the interference (everyone has satellite tv around here), not to mention the next door neighbor would most likely throw a fit if his scanner radio was rendered useless.

BtW, don't you hate it when a business refuses to admit to a known problem?

I am an authorized seller for Lumatek and do not believe they still have this issue, but I will let you know soon. I have a 400W here that I am getting to put through its paces for testing purposes. I will post my findings once I have tested it against radio interference.

I know that electronic ballasts are more effecient than magnetic ones. But are you saying that someone has actually invented a 100% effecient electrical device lol? Or do you mean that they don't actually send the entire 400, 600, and 1000 watts to the bulbs?

Lumatek claims a 99% PF on their ballasts. Again, I am actually going to test its power factor and I will post my results once testing is complete.

Might I also suggest a Galaxy electronic ballast (available on our site in our signature). These have great warranties like the Lumatek, but I have not heard any issues with the Galaxy ballast.

I have (3) 600 watt lumatek ballasts running and am experiencing no RF noise that I know of. I don't have a scanner or satellite T.V but I do run the radio occasionally with no probs. :grinjoint: . I couldn't be happier. As far as the power factor goes I guess I could put an amp prob on my line and check it out.

I have had my Lumatek 600w hps for over a year and love it. With the 600w Eye from hortilux its a match made in heaven. I have been using the same bulb for a year now so it is time to replace the bulb.

I will buy a Lumatek again if I have too.:cheer:

The lady at my local nursery is closing out her digital ballasts. She is offering brand new Lumatek 1000W for $250 and generic brand digital 600W for $150. However, because she is clearing them out, she is offering no warranty.

The price on the 1000W is about $80 below street price. How risky is purchasing this ballast with no warranty? I understand Lumatek has fixed most of the problems present in their early design, but I am hesistant because the nature of electronics is to break. Whereas it is almost impossible to break a coil ballast.

Sirsloth these two ballasts, I would think they are being sold at wholesale cost. The 1000 watt ballast is quite a bit hotter than the 600w. The 600 is more cost savings. The generic 600 watt ballast I would be hesitant about.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your response. You're right, she is a nursery supply wholesaler, not actually a nursery. The generic 600W for $150 is nothing to write home about. As for the Lumatek 1000W, I think I will wait to see if she drops them to $200 before snatching one up. She said she has 5 left, so maybe when she gets down to her last one or two she'll let me have it for $200. I have been giving her a lot of business lately buying soil, pots and ferts, so maybe she'll cut me a break.

I still like the 600 watt ballasts from Lumatek. In the long run you will save money on energy. The bulbs are alittle more expensive (they are more industrial bulbs, I have read and heard that they have better lumens). Don't ask me how that works. Also you will need a conversion bulb for MH, or do your grow and flower with HPS. I will start using a light mover and therefore save more energy, by keeping the light closer to the plants and the heat will be less. I'm in the process of renovating the grow and flowering rooms.

Grow and help others grow.

What HPS bulb do you fine people use with 600w lumateks in your flower rooms? My old EYE needs to be replaced soon. Eye did it's job well just want to know what your using and would you buy it again? I was looking at the new dual 600w and that thing is pricey I may just add another 600 single.

check out my new grow journal
Game On in Hydro Hallow

So, that sounds sort of scary that Lumatek bulbs could blow up. I guess you need to really check to see if the ballasts go with the bulbs. I've been trying to figure out what to use for my first grow and it seems like some people are really into the digital ballasts, but they seem a little pricey.

You guys seem like a smart bunch, any ideas on how a newbie with a small budget might be able to choose the best lights without being nervous that glass is going to be all over the room in the morning?

:slide:

Grab a magnetic ballast. Yeah they make more noise and generate more heat but I personally have had no problems. I have a new and a used ballast and they both work fine. I just read a post of a dude whose basement burnt up the other day messin with a Lumatek ballast. I wanna find it and post the link. BRB. Found it,>Solarmax 600HPS blew up - started fire

BWC BayArea agree, But a loud humming sound is a dead give away in stealth grows, And many growers can not handle extra heat. For Every Digital Electronic bulb blow out it seem to be with the fancier bulbs. I have used 2 digital electronic ballast 400 watters with normal 400 watt bulbs for two yrs with no problems. Plus all are switchable which are a great option for most on a budget. You know I worship you BWC BayArea. Just stated a opinion.

Got 2 ballasts side by side. I guess my fans drown the noise out. Ballasts are also in adjacent room. Guess I'm lucky cuz I never had the problem. If its a stealth grow some sound proofing may be in order. I soundproofed my windows b4 I covered them, then I went outside of the building to see if I could hear any noise or see light. Worked for me. Hope U guys find a useful alternative. And yea all the problems I've read or heard about with the digi ballasts were from incompatibility with high end bulbs. I have absolutely zero experience with digital ballasts. I was thinking of copping a dimmable Quantum digital ballasts tho. heard some good stuff. I think PitViper if I'm not mistaken uses at least on Quantum. I know I saw some1 on here with one.

Got 2 ballasts side by side. I guess my fans drown the noise out. Ballasts are also in adjacent room. Guess I'm lucky cuz I never had the problem. If its a stealth grow some sound proofing may be in order. I soundproofed my windows b4 I covered them, then I went outside of the building to see if I could hear any noise or see light. Worked for me. Hope U guys find a useful alternative. And yea all the problems I've read or heard about with the digi ballasts were from incompatibility with high end bulbs. I have absolutely zero experience with digital ballasts. I was thinking of copping a dimmable Quantum digital ballasts tho. heard some good stuff. I think PitViper if I'm not mistaken uses at least on Quantum. I know I saw some1 on here with one.

I have four Quantums running downstairs and love them.

Back
Top Bottom