Lumatek Ballast

Problem with that is that my tents won't handle the heat from a 600w, and I don't want to use that much energy anyway.

Also, I already have a "regular" 250w Lumatek, so this 400/250 unit will let me set up two 250w hoods in a single tent for better coverage, do side-by-side comparisons using 250w HID in separate tents, and probably couple of other things I haven't thought of yet ;).

If yield was my only need, though, your suggestion is right on point.

Are you venting with a fan?

Re: My Lumatek experience

It's the one that is dimmable(not sure why the fug you would want to mess with that ) but anyway.

that model allows you to dim your lights if you don't want to use full amount of power. so in other words you can turn your ballast down to produce the light of a 400w, 250w, etc. This is great if you are moving clones from florescent to HID lighting where they can get stressed out until they are use to that much light. There is probably also a super lumen setting on your ballast too which will allow you to boost power slightly beyond the 600watts its rated to produce. That could be helpful towards the end of the bulbs life or at flowering time when you are trying to cram as much light in as possible.

I think for the most part however its just another gimmick or feature that most of us don't make that much use of even though we are right there to buy it up when the shit comes out.

:thumb:

I'd be a lot happier with the dimming feature on these digital ballasts if the actual power usage also dimmed ;)

I'm not sure if the new multiwatt lumateks still consume the full 600w when dimmed. It may be worth checking with a kill-a-watt etc. I'll pick one up when i setup next month and test it out.

I've got this as yet to be out of the box dual voltage 600W xtrasun eballast, still deciding on what bulb to get. I sure hope I didn't get sold an older model that just looked new. I just assumed it was just out but I don't see a date anywhere on the box...

I know it's a bit late now but for anyone else wanting a good price and a gaurantee you're getting a new generation Lumatek Ballast check this out. $180 with free shipping. I just got 2 off ebay and they ship fast.

I know it's a bit late now but for anyone else wanting a good price and a gaurantee you're getting a new generation Lumatek Ballast check this out. $180 with free shipping. I just got 2 off ebay and they ship fast.

i spent $250 on mine at the local grow shop. hell I spent $180 on my 400 watt lumatek.

I just looked at that ad and the picture in it is not of the NEW Lumatek ballasts pictured in the ad on page 23 of the Febrary 2010 issue of Maximum Yield.

The ballast pictured in the eBay ad shows the selector switch as having 50%, 75%, 100%, and "Super Lumens" positions. However, the NEW Lumatek ballasts have a selector switch that has 360W, 400W, 600W, and "Super Lumens" positions.

The significance of this - in addition to making me wonder if the ballast in the eBay ad that you and others are purchasing is actually the newest-generation model - is that the NEW model of Lumatek 600-watt ballast will properly drive either a 600-watt or a 400-watt bulb.

Also pictured in this ad are the selector switches from their 1000-watt and 400-watt ballasts. Below the pictures it clearly states that the 1000-watt model will drive a 1000-watt, a 750-watt, or a 600-watt bulb and that the 400-watt model will drive a 400-watt or a 250-watt bulb.

So: When you purchased the (two)"NEW EDITION LUMATEK 600 WATT 120/240V DIGITAL BALLAST"(s) from that eBay ad, did you actually receive the NEW version - or did you receive the version that is pictured in that eBay ad?

If you did not, I (and quite likely most lawyers, lol) would think that you would be able to return them for a refund due to not receiving the item described in the title of that ad - although the picture might make this claim somewhat debatable.

EDIT: BtW, what is the date code on the ballasts you received? Their newest ballast type seems to be of very recent manufacture date although I have not located a specific start-date for this series.

EDIT #2: I just did a little surfing and found another eBay ad which shows the ad I referenced. The price is also a dollar cheaper at $179, lol. But as always, I highly recommend purchasing items through 420Magazine's sponsors whenever possible since without them, this site would not exist. I'm just providing this link because it clearly shows the Lumatek ad for those who do not have a local hydroponics store (they usually throw a copy of MY into your sack as it is a free (ad-supported) publication). Hopefully it will be of assistance in determining whether or not you've got the current newest version of Lumatek's ballast. Also, here is a small picture of the switch for the 600-watt one:

lumatek-600w-150.jpg

Hope this helps!

EDIT #3 (LMAO): I just checked the web site of one of our sponsors, Suncoast Hydroponics. It shows a 600-watt Lumatek ballast for only $172! I am not sure if it is the newest edition, or indeed if it is a dimmable model. I will send the owner a PM to inquire. If it is the newest version with the selector switch pictured above, it would be the best choice (IMHO) as the price is right and you would be shopping at a 420Magazine sponsor.

I will post what I learn in this thread.

I just looked at that ad and the picture in it is not of the NEW Lumatek ballasts pictured in the ad on page 23 of the Febrary 2010 issue of Maximum Yield.

The ballast pictured in the eBay ad shows the selector switch as having 50%, 75%, 100%, and "Super Lumens" positions. However, the NEW Lumatek ballasts have a selector switch that has 360W, 400W, 600W, and "Super Lumens" positions.

The significance of this - in addition to making me wonder if the ballast in the eBay ad that you and others are purchasing is actually the newest-generation model - is that the NEW model of Lumatek 600-watt ballast will properly drive either a 600-watt or a 400-watt bulb.

Also pictured in this ad are the selector switches from their 1000-watt and 400-watt ballasts. Below the pictures it clearly states that the 1000-watt model will drive a 1000-watt, a 750-watt, or a 600-watt bulb and that the 400-watt model will drive a 400-watt or a 250-watt bulb.

So: When you purchased the (two)"NEW EDITION LUMATEK 600 WATT 120/240V DIGITAL BALLAST"(s) from that eBay ad, did you actually receive the NEW version - or did you receive the version that is pictured in that eBay ad?

If you did not, I (and quite likely most lawyers, lol) would think that you would be able to return them for a refund due to not receiving the item described in the title of that ad - although the picture might make this claim somewhat debatable.

EDIT: BtW, what is the date code on the ballasts you received? Their newest ballast type seems to be of very recent manufacture date although I have not located a specific start-date for this series.

EDIT #2: I just did a little surfing and found another eBay ad which shows the ad I referenced. The price is also a dollar cheaper at $179, lol. But as always, I highly recommend purchasing items through 420Magazine's sponsors whenever possible since without them, this site would not exist. I'm just providing this link because it clearly shows the Lumatek ad for those who do not have a local hydroponics store (they usually throw a copy of MY into your sack as it is a free (ad-supported) publication). Hopefully it will be of assistance in determining whether or not you've got the current newest version of Lumatek's ballast. Also, here is a small picture of the switch for the 600-watt one:

lumatek-600w-150.jpg

Hope this helps!

EDIT #3 (LMAO): I just checked the web site of one of our sponsors, Suncoast Hydroponics. It shows a 600-watt Lumatek ballast for only $172! I am not sure if it is the newest edition, or indeed if it is a dimmable model. I will send the owner a PM to inquire. If it is the newest version with the selector switch pictured above, it would be the best choice (IMHO) as the price is right and you would be shopping at a 420Magazine sponsor.

I will post what I learn in this thread.

at Suncoast, under extra product information, it says "...this product was added to our catalog Friday 13, March 2009..."...

You should be aware that I talked to the owner of the hydroshop I deal with and 50% of their orders with hydrofarm are significantly backordered. Significant being 3 - 5 weeks minimum on all hydrofarm back orders. She specifically mentioned that it's been extremely difficult getting prompt supplies of Lumatek ballasts. She also remarke dthat at $180 inc. shipping, it would be impossible for her to compete with those ebay auctions since she gets them from hydrofarm at close to that price.

So ebay may be the way to go if you want a ballast quickly at a better price.

Yes, I'm venting with a 100cfm exhaust fan pulling air through a carbon filter.

That's a bit low. You might want to consider a 6" centrifugal inline fan with capacity for 450 - 600 cfm. You also have to figure your airflow with below since it will be somewhat obstructed by the carbon filter.

I picked up a 6" fantech fx fan to match with my 6" yield master II supreme reflector/600w lumatek multiwatt. From what I can tell this will be sized apropriately for an eclosed grow box.

The Lumatek is awesome. People try to hate on it. Their return policy is great and they are always available. You can buy a Nextgen and want to return it and the company/store will be backordered on them.

Talking to the returns departments at the distributors they don't have anything bad to say about Lumateks in terms of the number of returns compared to other ballasts.

That's a bit low. You might want to consider a 6" centrifugal inline fan with capacity for 450 - 600 cfm. You also have to figure your airflow with below since it will be somewhat obstructed by the carbon filter.

I picked up a 6" fantech fx fan to match with my 6" yield master II supreme reflector/600w lumatek multiwatt. From what I can tell this will be sized apropriately for an eclosed grow box.

It works well enough to control temps and exchange the air about 2X per minute.

I thought the filter would slow down air flow significantly, but my S&P fans seem to pull almost as much air as without them. Temps did not change with the addition of the filter.

No problems with my Lumatek 250 and Eye Hortilux bulbs.

Greenthings,

I bought a purple swithcable 600 watt Lumatek(silent, awesome) and a xtra sun hood,glass, 6". I put a 400 cfm sunleaves(silent also). my fan cycles at 81 degrees f. about 30 seconds every couple minutes. some of my plants are smashed up against the glass. I can hold my hand tight against it indefinately.
the ballast rocks, as well as the reflector and fan. cheap too !
at southtexasgardensupply.com. here in a flash. I removed all of my cfls's(to the veg tent) and am very satisfied with this set up

go see
:roorrip:

Old thread but perhaps my 2cents will help someone looking to purchase -

I bought two 600w Lumatek ballasts and have been using them for nearly a year.

Stupid me never saw the issues about the bulbs until I was recently in search of replacement bulbs. I have been using Hortilux and Solarmax. Never an issue. They have always fired upon demand.

I use a cooled reflector, lined in tandem, and realized in the summer that I was inadequately cooling the lights. My room was cooking. This never fazed the bulbs, just freaked the plants. I have since resolved this issue (duct forms a U around the room and actually vents now) and am looking to replace the nearly year old bulbs. They have been going 12 hours per day for about 300 days.

Although I saw none of the bulb issues, I don't want to add new problems. I am going to change to the Lumatek bulbs as they seem to closely match the Ushios, but are a bit cheaper. :peace:

Please post your findings with the Lumatek bulbs when you've used them a while. They seem fairly reasonable in price and I'd assume that their ability to work with Lumatek's ballast without issues is a given.

I will NEVER buy Lumatek again!!! Their product is mediocre and their customer service is like talking to little kids. After hearing Chad whine for a half hour, Chris, Get this... the Vice President od this so-called company got on the phone and proceeded to act like Chads thirteen year older brother. They sent me a beaten and battered Ballast that was supposed to be brand new. I sent them a pic of the battered ballast and they refused to speak on the phone any further, crying like the little B#$^%%$ that they obviously are. So if you want crappy goods and whining customer service to match, by al means go Lumatek.

Back
Top Bottom