Marijuana and Schizophrenia: A Pizzen Catastrophy

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
(MOLALLA, Ore.) - I'm getting schizoid myself every once in a while when I'm trying to keep up with Cannabis Therapeutics, something unusual pops up on the screen.

Cannabis doctors in California who together have more than 300,000 patients are reporting that cannabis/marijuana is effective treatment for a variety of mental illnesses. (see many of my previous posts).

What popped recently is Marijuana Doubles the Risk of Schizophrenia in the Journal Addiction from Otaga, New Zealand in March, 2005.

Comments on the report indicate that schizophrenia patients also use alcohol, cocaine, heroin, caffeine, ecstasy, amphetamines and heavy use of tobacco which has a strong effect on the brain.

Concurrently, there are posted comments from schizophrenic patients who state that if marijuana caused schizophrenia, there would be a worldwide pandemic of schizophrenia.

The use of cannabis has literally exploded since the 1960's. There is NO increase in schizophrenia which hovers around one percent in the general population.

It is my observation as a funded research pharmacologist that many Cannabis researchers are using the National Institute for Mental Health (NIMH) as cash cows.

The U.S. government is going hysterical trying to assert that marijuana is harmful and addicting. At the same time, they publish that as many as 50 million Americans smoke marijuana once in a while with minimal ill effects and minimal withdrawal effects.

Some psychiatrists state that schizophrenics do smoke marijuana the same as many, normal people. At the same time MJ users legal or otherwise know that a high dose of strong MJ can produce an uncomfortable HIGH which causes schizophrenic-like symptoms. They don't enjoy this and try to avoid it. Besides, it costs too much to get high with good marijuana selling for at least $400 per ounce.

Nevertheless, we know of some "stoners" who seem to seek the high. As a physician who has interviewed no less than 5,000 patients over medical marijuana, I have yet to observe one whom I determined to be psychotic or high.

In case you are wondering about the Pizzen Factor, we included this link to the Doctor's article to satiate your curiosity: PTSD and the Pizzen Factor

Phillip Leveque has spent his life as a Combat Infantryman, Physician, Toxicologist and Pharmacologist. He is an expert in medical marijuana treatment.
Got a question or comment for Dr. Leveque?
Email him: Newsroom@Salem-News.com

Back
Top Bottom