Marijuana Decriminalization in Massachusetts

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
A marijuana decriminalization initiative has qualified for November's ballot in Massachusetts.

The initiative would make possession of up to an ounce, currently a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a $500 fine, a civil offense with a maximum penalty of a $100 fine.

Pot smokers could not be arrested or jailed, and they would not have criminal records, which trigger ancillary penalties that can be far more onerous than the official punishment. NORML reports that a recent poll found supporters of the initiative outnumber opponents by 2 to 1.

Here is the website for the initiative campaign (known as the Committee for Sensible Marijuana Policy), which is backed by the Marijuana Policy Project. Last fall I noted an argument among reformers about the initiative's potential impact.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Reason Magazine
Copyright: 2008 Reason Magazine

BE CAREFUL!!!! Read the whole law before you vote. The decriminalization in Ohio was the 1st thing I ever got to vote on. Same as above but up to 100 grams packaged for consumption. I VOTED NO!!! This law also clumped small and large sales (of all controlled substances)together and had the large sale penalty. Sales of a joint became the same crime as sale of a ton. They seemed to go the other way with cultivation and make growing 1 pound or less a lesser crime, however if you read further, much further, you find that they could weigh the whole container dirt and all.

Back
Top Bottom