Marijuana Growing Gobbles Electricity, Study Finds

Not disputing the fact that it works for you (glad that it does, btw). Just wish they'd not come up with that particular bit of marketing, it's confusing to people who don't understand it (like most things in life are - until one understands them).

It's cool. Glad you're growing.

I returned five boxes of bulbs to Lowes due to at first not understanding that 'equivalent wattage' crapola. I found a resource of 43 (true) watt bulbs at my local Rural King, the 2700K flavor. I still have yet to find the blue spectrum bulbs anywhere but online.

i find that home depo has a better selection of CFL bulbs. i can't find anything bigger than a 100 watt in the 5000k flavor...in the local stores that is ...i'm sure they are available on line...i seem to have good luck with the 2700k flavor, i have tried 8 100 watt in the 5000k flavor and not had any better results than my 8 150 watt 2700k's . now i know these inflated watt numbers are not correct, but hey the bulbs are labeled 100 watt or 150 watt or 300 watt ...but it is what it is, i'm sure y'all know what i'm talkin bout

i find that home depo has a better selection of CFL bulbs. i can't find anything bigger than a 100 watt in the 5000k flavor...in the local stores that is ...i'm sure they are available on line...i seem to have good luck with the 2700k flavor, i have tried 8 100 watt in the 5000k flavor and not had any better results than my 8 150 watt 2700k's . now i know these inflated watt numbers are not correct, but hey the bulbs are labeled 100 watt or 150 watt or 300 watt ...but it is what it is, i'm sure y'all know what i'm talkin bout

Finding appropriate watt bulbs is a bit of a PITA where I live. My Home Depot and Lowes only seem to carry the household lamp wattage CFL bulbs. Lowes carries the metal halide bulbs, but I don't really want to go there. I was on pins and needles about a fire for a few weeks after I got my set up going. If I went with a HPS or MH bulb I don't think I could sleep at night lol

Yeah, if you completely screw up the wiring and/or installation of a HID light by disregarding common sense and advice, stick a penny behind that burnt fuse (BAD idea), or fall asleep whilst smoking, then you're more likely to suffer a house fire than any other random person.

As for finding bulbs (and other lighting supplies) in your area, try typing "electrical supply house" (with quotes) into a Google (etc.) search-box and add your city's name. You probably have one either in town or nearby. Most of them can order just about anything (and stock a fair portion of it already).

Failing that, one or more of our site's sponsors can probably help you find the bulbs you are looking for, and giving them your business is indirectly supporting 420 Magazine and helping to keep it both online and free to access.

Finding appropriate watt bulbs is a bit of a PITA where I live. My Home Depot and Lowes only seem to carry the household lamp wattage CFL bulbs. Lowes carries the metal halide bulbs, but I don't really want to go there. I was on pins and needles about a fire for a few weeks after I got my set up going. If I went with a HPS or MH bulb I don't think I could sleep at night lol
one would think the 150 watt would be a household item...i have seen a few set-ups on here where people are using 100 watt or lower,and have good results. if you have Y splitters 6 or 8 of those with good reflectors that seems to be sufficient. i know all about the fire worries for the first 4 weeks of my current grow i experimented with a 24 hr light cycle..so around 10 when i was going to bed i would cover my grow box with some big moving pads to keep my bedroom dark...the temp in the grow box would get up to 110 degrees !! and i had read somewhere that if the CFL's get overheated they could explode...but they never did...lol. my biggest reason for growing with CFL's is the cost...it only cost me like 10-14 bucks more a month on my electric bill

one would think the 150 watt would be a household item...i have seen a few set-ups on here where people are using 100 watt or lower,and have good results. if you have Y splitters 6 or 8 of those with good reflectors that seems to be sufficient. i know all about the fire worries for the first 4 weeks of my current grow i experimented with a 24 hr light cycle..so around 10 when i was going to bed i would cover my grow box with some big moving pads to keep my bedroom dark...the temp in the grow box would get up to 110 degrees !! and i had read somewhere that if the CFL's get overheated they could explode...but they never did...lol. my biggest reason for growing with CFL's is the cost...it only cost me like 10-14 bucks more a month on my electric bill
I'm using six 43 W bulbs in y-splitters. My tent doesn't get hotter than 83 degrees. Not sure if that will remain the same in the summer, I might be moving my AC. (hope not)

My plants are doing fine, they are getting some nice looking nugs forming. I know I won't get any foot long colas using these bulbs, but that's alright. As long as I have a steady supply of smoke it's all good :)

Cost is a biggie for me as well. Cost of the bulbs and the cost of the electricity.

i feel the same way, my last crop gave me about an ounce (by volume not weight) with 2 plants this time i should double that*fingers crossed* i have been gathering info on the scrog method and will start gathering supplies.i'm so glad i stumbled upon:420: this website

i feel the same way, my last crop gave me about an ounce (by volume not weight) with 2 plants this time i should double that*fingers crossed* i have been gathering info on the scrog method and will start gathering supplies.i'm so glad i stumbled upon:420: this website
I would be thrilled with a half an ounce for my first go around...

You might want to check out my new thread in the DIY section for all your scrogging supplies!

Need Mesh Fabric?

Just found that resource today, lookin to DIY a drying rack. I have this idea percolating for a vertical SCROG. It involves a semi-flattened tomato cage and some netting. I will try it out on my next grow, stay tuned!

I'm glad I found this site as well :thumb:

the gator' cage is awesome !! i don't have the room for a vertical cage set up tho... but the horizontal scrog looks like a fun experiment... check out how this dude did his( https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/100_02274.JPG ) for me this seem like a really efficient use of my small space. a drying rack huh...i just take a needle and thread an string my buds up like a lay lei (you know one of those Hawaiian flower necklaces) hang em in the closet for 4 or 5 days then put em in a shoe box for a week or 2

the gator' cage is awesome !! i don't have the room for a vertical cage set up tho... but the horizontal scrog looks like a fun experiment... check out how this dude did his( https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/100_02274.JPG ) for me this seem like a really efficient use of my small space. a drying rack huh...i just take a needle and thread an string my buds up like a lay lei (you know one of those Hawaiian flower necklaces) hang em in the closet for 4 or 5 days then put em in a shoe box for a week or 2
That's a sweet SCROG frame as well. :thumb:

The only reason I want to build a drying box is from what I understand the stink is really strong when the buds are drying. I don't want to risk having my neighbors coming in and jacking me if they catch a wiff of the dankness.

Yeah, I live in that kind of neighborhood. Don't gotta worry about anyone calling the cops on me, I gotta worry about them robbing me. :/ I also have a landlord that usually forgets to call before he stops by. He knows I smoke, but growing might be where he draws the line...

Getting blame for using energy to grow now. Even when we're paying for it. What's next? Blaming growers for using all the soil on the land that destroyed agriculture? lol

They should spend their time and funds in focusing on renewable energy. In one hour the Sun produces more energy than all human consumption that ever lived combined. Solar panels will be the future.

Interesting to find only a few electricity company we can choose from within the particular region. Monopoly anyone? With renewable energy like solar will bring death to the traditional method of producing and delivering power.

I have no guilt in using more energy then I normally do when not growing. Since every wattage is paid for it is fair game.

Since every wattage is paid for it is fair game.

Well said. If you buy it, it's yours. Would be different if you were stealing it.

I must say that I am a fan of conservation - be it natural resources or something else. But in the entire set of things/devices/processes/businesses that use electricity, I would guess that the total electricity used for growing cannabis is a relatively small percentage. (IOW, I'll start griping about this particular non-issue only after all the other categories have been cleaned up; until then it doesn't even get painted by my radar.)

And something that we could all remember and post at any site & write to any print media that publishes a story like this as a way of trying to cast shadows upon us: If you and others like you hadn't made it illegal to grow and continue to keep it that way, far more of us would be growing our cannabis outdoors where the light is free and where the process of growing cannabis could help the planet directly.

That's a sweet SCROG frame as well. :thumb:

The only reason I want to build a drying box is from what I understand the stink is really strong when the buds are drying. I don't want to risk having my neighbors coming in and jacking me if they catch a wiff of the dankness.

Yeah, I live in that kind of neighborhood. Don't gotta worry about anyone calling the cops on me, I gotta worry about them robbing me. :/ I also have a landlord that usually forgets to call before he stops by. He knows I smoke, but growing might be where he draws the line...

i'm in the exact situation..my neighbors would rob me blind givin the chance. and i always have a hiding place ready just in case my landlord needs to get into my apt for any reason. for the last year i have been doing the repairs around here out-of-pocket just keep outta here

Back
Top Bottom