Marijuana Legalization Officially Qualifies For California Ballot

Warbux

An initiative to legalize marijuana and allow it to be sold and taxed will appear on the November ballot, state election officials announced Wednesday, triggering what will probably be a much-watched campaign that once again puts California on the forefront of the nation's debate over whether to soften drug laws.

The number of valid signatures reported by Los Angeles County, submitted minutes before Wednesday's 5 p.m. deadline, put the measure well beyond the 433,971 it needed to be certified. Supporters turned in 694,248 signatures, collecting them in every county except Alpine. County election officials estimated that 523,531 were valid.

The measure's main advocate, Richard Lee, an Oakland marijuana entrepreneur, savored the chance to press his case with voters that the state's decades-old ban on marijuana is a failed policy.

"We're one step closer to ending cannabis prohibition and the unjust laws that lock people up for cannabis while alcohol is not only sold openly but advertised on television to kids every day," he said.

Lee, tapping $1.3 million from his businesses, has put together a highly organized campaign that he emphasized Wednesday would be led by a team of experienced political consultants, including Chris Lehane, a veteran operative who has worked in the White House and on presidential campaigns.

"There's all kinds of big professional politicos who are coming on board now to take it to the next level," Lee said.

Opponents have also started to put together their campaign. "There's going to be a very broad coalition opposing this that will include law enforcement," said John Lovell, a Sacramento lobbyist who represents the California Police Chiefs Assn. and other law enforcement groups. "We'll educate people as to what this measure really entails."

The measure, like the medical marijuana initiative, could put California on a collision course with the federal government. The possession and sale of marijuana remain a federal crime.

This month, President Obama's drug czar, R. Gil Kerlikowske, decried legalization in a speech to police chiefs in San Jose.

The initiative would allow adults 21 or older to possess up to an ounce for personal use.

Possession of an ounce or less has been a misdemeanor with a $100 fine since 1975, when Atty. Gen. Jerry Brown, who was then governor, signed a law that reduced tough marijuana penalties that had allowed judges to impose 10-year sentences.

Legalization supporters note that misdemeanor arrests have risen dramatically in California in the last two decades. The initiative would also allow adults to grow up to 25 square feet of marijuana per residence or parcel.

But the measure, known as the Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act, goes further, allowing cities and counties to adopt ordinances that would authorize the cultivation, transportation and sale of marijuana, which could be taxed to raise revenue.

Supporters hope this feature will win over voters watching local governments jettison employees and programs in the midst of a severe budget crisis.

Three other marijuana legalization initiatives have been floated this year but are not expected to qualify for the ballot. One failed, one was withdrawn and one remains active.

Lovell said that the initiative would lead to increased marijuana use, cause the same kind of social ills as alcohol and tobacco and put more demands on law enforcement. He said voters are distressed by the medical marijuana law. "Neighborhoods feel very uncomfortable with these locations that have a lot of dope and a lot of cash," he said.

Lee countered that the state's experience with medical marijuana shows "the sky didn't fall." He said the measure would allow police to focus on serious crime, undercut Mexican drug cartels and make it harder for teenagers to buy marijuana.

Underscoring the importance the backing of law enforcement will play, Lee's campaign on Wednesday highlighted the support of retired Orange County Superior Court Judge James P. Gray, a former L.A. County deputy sheriff and Torrance police officer.

With polls showing that a slim majority of voters support legalization, the legalization campaign will be trying to appeal to a slice of undecided voters who are mostly mothers. "It's always easier for people to say no than to say yes for an initiative," said Mark Baldassare, the pollster for the Public Policy Institute of California.

Lee hopes to raise as much as $20 million. He will probably be able to tap a handful of wealthy advocates who have supported efforts to relax drug laws, including multibillionaire investor George Soros and George Zimmer, founder of the Men's Wearhouse. Zimmer has donated at least $20,000.

Lovell said he expected to raise less than his opponents but would have enough to get his message out.

NewsHawk: Warbux: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Los Angeles Times
Author: John Hoeffel
Copyright: 2010 The Los Angeles Times
Website: Measure to legalize marijuana will be on California's November ballot

I'm sure this will be passed by the voters in November. It will be like getting at Christmas present early. :thanks:

This is great news but I still wont be able to enjoy it. I dont think this protects Class A drivers like me whom are subjected to random drug testing. How about a law to stop employers from testing for Marijuana.

This time I think it will pass... Still need everyone to vote and get your friends to vote for it too... :allgood:

It's about time :yahoo:
:thanks: for this wonderful article

This is great news but I still wont be able to enjoy it. I dont think this protects Class A drivers like me whom are subjected to random drug testing. How about a law to stop employers from testing for Marijuana.

amen brother..workplaces should NOT be allowed to hold it workers to standards that are above and beyond the law. its time for these greedy corporate type-a-fellas to start playing fairly and treating their workers with some class and compassion

amen brother..workplaces should NOT be allowed to hold it workers to standards that are above and beyond the law. its time for these greedy corporate type-a-fellas to start playing fairly and treating their workers with some class and compassion

Good point. To add to this; Let's get rid of the illegal and inaccurate drug tests. Let's evaluate by actions not tests.

yes sir it would be nice to hire and retain the brightest and most capable. i wonder how well basing your workforce on a piss test works?

This is so awesome!

I can see all the doomsday reports now!!

"If its legal, everyone will kill their neighbor and then eat way to many nachos!!!"

I give it 3 years. 3 years after it becomes legal in cali is when all of the other states will take a look and say:
"Use rose a little, then kinda stabalized, and now cali is fucking rich.... the world didn't end, and there are basically only positive side effects... and cali is fucking rich

...so who wants to legalize?"

:ganjamon::bravo::nicethread:

You got to be kidding me! Have any of you read the preposed law? It only allows you one oz. It taxes you $50 state and still undefined local tax amounts.It`s only a infraction to have an oz under present health and safety codes($100 fine). You don`t come out ahead at all! It also makes it jail time to smoke in front of a minor,anyone under 21.Where you going to smoke that`legal` weed at? At the county fair? at a base ball game? at a park? Then be ready to go to jail! But you can always have a beer in those public places.The only thing this law does is set people up to pay taxes,and make despenceries richer! it`s right in the laws name,Tax,Control,and Regulate! I`m all for changing the laws to reflect legalization but this law doesn`t do that,it`s just a scam being run on the MJ comunity! Vote No in November!

You can bet that I will be voting for it... With a big shit eating grin on my face... Here's the deal if we do not pass a measure in the fall. All The leniency that we are experiencing is going to evaporate overnight. People who are against legalization will use the results of the election to use as a tool against us... Just like we will use it as tool if we get big positive turnout... I am worried that their will be two different measures on ballot this fall thus splitting the vote in a negative way... In no way let anyone talk you into not voting a big yes this fall... We may have to wait many years to get a chance again... I do believe the children part. Why do it in front of the children when you can go down to local club and enjoy, because we voted it into law... People who do not smoke will more likely vote for it because of the high tax incentive... You have to look at how the people who know nothing about marijuana will look at this and how it relates to their fears... I would say it reads pretty good if you are part of that class... Just my opinion... :bong:

You can bet that I will be voting for it... With a big shit eating grin on my face... Here's the deal if we do not pass a measure in the fall. All The leniency that we are experiencing is going to evaporate overnight. People who are against legalization will use the results of the election to use as a tool against us... Just like we will use it as tool if we get big positive turnout... I am worried that their will be two different measures on ballot this fall thus splitting the vote in a negative way... In no way let anyone talk you into not voting a big yes this fall... We may have to wait many years to get a chance again... I do believe the children part. Why do it in front of the children when you can go down to local club and enjoy, because we voted it into law... People who do not smoke will more likely vote for it because of the high tax incentive... You have to look at how the people who know nothing about marijuana will look at this and how it relates to their fears... I would say it reads pretty good if you are part of that class... Just my opinion... :bong:

Scare tactics it doesn`t pass now it may never be on the ballot for many years,Bull it will be on the very next ballot cause people like me will never give up nore will we be bullied into some stupid half ass bill that lables it`s self `legalize Marijuana`! Of course you can go down to a club and smoke if this law passes that`s why they want it to pass in the first place,to get your money! LOL! Now you say it will be just like when Alcohal was prohibited then when I point out the difference it`s ok because you can go to the clubs and smoke,what a joke! Why should we put up with that when we should be able to smoke freely in public? Should we be forced to hide like there is something wrong with what we are doing? Don`t short you self people free the weed! Remember they said we couldn`t stop a war ether...but we did!

I provided the following info about recent attempts to decriminalized. You will notice the gaps... I think that they speak for themselves... It takes big money to pass these new laws. As it gets closer you will see more and more money entering the game on both sides... I don't know, if you have noticed, but, machines are taking away our jobs everyday... Were do you think the new jobs are going to come from but the service industry or new types of new age industries of tomorrow that Should already be paid for but we had to pay for the war on drugs and play big brother.... So if the laws says that you cannot smoke in front of children than support a fundraiser to build a smoking room at your local park... Or go down to that NEW club and hang out with people who share your interests... I like exploring new types of micro brews.. I could see myself traveling to try some different growers fare... It will become like alcohol is today... When all the propaganda fear that has been put out there is shown to be all lies ... Than you say lets lower the tax or raise it...

Attempts to decriminalize cannabis In recent history, there have been multiple unsuccessful attempts to decriminalize cannabis.

On November 7, 2000, voters in Alaska rejected Measure 5 by 60—40 percent. Measure 5 would have removed civil and criminal penalties for use of cannabis or other hemp products by adults age 18 and older and would have regulated the sale of cannabis similar to the sale of alcoholic beverages.On November 2, 2004, voters in Alaska rejected Measure 2 by 56—44 percent. Measure 2 would have prompted the state legislature to tax and regulate cannabis, and would have removed criminal penalties for cannabis use by adults aged 21 and older.
Arizona
In November 2002, Arizona voters rejected Proposition 203, with only 43% in support, this bill would have decriminalized small amounts of cannabis, repealed mandatory minimums, set up a medical cannabis program, and removed court control of non-violent drug offenders.

California
In 1972, Proposition 19 was introduced, which would have legalized cannabis statewide; it was rejected by 66% of the voters. The initiative read as follows:

" (1) No person in the State of California 18 years of age or older shall be punished criminally, or be denied any right or privilege, by reason or such person's planting, cultivating, harvesting, drying, processing, otherwise preparing, transporting, or possessing marijuana for personal use, or by reason of that use.
(2) This provision shall in no way be construed to repeal existing legislation, or limit the enactment of future legislation, prohibiting persons under the influence of marijuana from engaging in conduct that endangers others.
"

On January 1, 1975, Senate Bill 95 made possession under one ounce of cannabis for non-medical use punishable by a $100 fine; stricter punishments exist for amounts exceeding an ounce, possession on school grounds, or subsequent violations or for sale or cultivation. If the offender is under the age of 21, his or her driver's license may be suspended for up to one year.

In Mendocino County, voters in 2000 approved Measure G, which called for the decriminalization of marijuana when used and cultivated for personal use. Measure G passed with a 58 percent majority vote, making it the first county in the United States to declare prosecution of small-scale marijuana offenses the "lowest priority" for local law enforcement. Measure G does not protect individuals who cultivate, transport or possess marijuana for sale. However, Measure G was passed at the local government level affecting only Mendocino County, and therefore does not affect existing state or federal laws. The city of Berkeley has had a similar law since 1979 which has generally been found to be unenforceable.

On June 3, 2008, the Mendocino County Board of Supervisors placed Measure B on a county-wide ballot. Voters narrowly approved "B", which repealed most of the provisions of 2000's Measure G.[17][18] On July 3, 2008, the Sheriff and District Attorneys offices announced that they would not be enforcing the new regulations for the time being, citing pending legal challenges and conflicts with existing state law.

In March 2009, Medical Marijuana advocates[who?] sued the California Department of Motor Vehicles and brought about a change in the DMV's policy concerning driving a motor vehicle with any amount of detectable THC in one's blood system.[citation needed] The DMV concluded that recent federal studies were unable to confirm an association of THC in the body with actual driving impairment, implying that marijuana can be stored in a person's blood cells long after the effect of the drug has worn off, in some cases up to 60 days and more from the time of last consumption.[citation needed] The California Highway Patrol has also released an official public statement that revises the Department's handling of marijuana in driving related cases.[clarification needed][citation needed]

Colorado
In Colorado, Amendment 44 would have legalized possession of 28.45 grams (approximately one ounce) or less by adults age 21 and older, but the amendment was rejected by 60-40 percent.[20]
The cities of Breckenridge and Denver have passed measures to make possession of up to one ounce of marijuana legal, although this is still a crime under state law. For more info see Safer Alternative for Enjoyable Recreation.

Massachusetts
On November 4, 2008, 65% of Massachusetts voters voted 'yes' on ballot question 2 known as the Massachusetts Sensible Marijuana Policy Initiative, which became law on January 2, 2009, reduced the penalty for possession of an ounce or less of cannabis from the previous misdemeanor punishable by up to 6 months in jail and $500 fine to a civil infraction and a fine of $100, as well as prevent the inclusion of the citation into the CORI criminal records database which is used by law enforcement and employers to conduct background checks and jeopardizes the person's ability to obtain jobs, housing, and school loans. It also requires people under the age of 18 to have their parents notified and do community service, as well as receive drug awareness counseling or have the fine increased to $1000.[21]

House Bill 2929 and Senate Bill 1801 were introduced in January 2009 which seek to legalize and tax the cannabis industry.

Michigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan, due to referenda and ordinances, makes possession of small amounts of cannabis a civil infraction, subject to a fine, rather than a misdemeanor or felony. More stringent state laws are enforced on the University of Michigan campus and in Ann Arbor. In 2009 the Michigan Medical Marijuana act was passed giving Michiganders similar rights to own and cultivate the plant for medical purposes. (See Cannabis laws in Ann Arbor, Michigan).

Nevada
On November 5, 2002, voters in Nevada rejected Question 9 by 61-39 percent. Question 9 would have legalized possession of cannabis under 85.5 grams (3 ounces) by adults age 21 and older and would allow cannabis to be regulated, cultivated, sold and taxed. Question 9 would have also made low cost cannabis available for medical cannabis patients and would have created laws against "driving dangerously" under the influence of cannabis.

On November 7, 2006, voters in Colorado and Nevada rejected propositions that would have legalized possession of up to 28.45 grams (one ounce) of cannabis. In Nevada, Question 7 would have allowed adults 21 and older to purchase cannabis from government-regulated shops and possession of 28.45 grams or less in a private home would have been legalized, but the Question was rejected by 56-44 percent.

New Hampshire
On May 1, 2008, the New Hampshire Senate voted down a bill that would have reduced the penalty for the possession up to a quarter-ounce of cannabis from a misdemeanor to a violation punishable by a fine of no more than $200. This bill had previously passed the N.H State House of Representatives and had the support of the majority of polled voters.[29]

Oregon
See also: Cannabis in Oregon
In 1972, Oregon became the first state to decriminalize cannabis. Possession of 28.45 grams (1 ounce) or less is punishable by a $500 to $1,000 fine; stricter punishments exist for sale or cultivation.[30] In 1986, Oregon's Ballot Measure 5 sought to legalize cannabis,[31] but it was rejected by 74% of the voters.[11]

Federal
The Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2008 represents the first attempt to decriminalize possession of small amounts of cannabis at the federal level to be introduced in many decades. Failed
:smokin:

Oh so because of all past attemps your saying Marijuana legalization can not be voted into law? Or maybe you have forgotten that`s what I want also. We just differ on the wording and amount of freedom that should be put into the law. Well with that attitude the war in Vietnam would have gone on for decades longer! I think we can win! It`s not going to be easy. The tax,control,and regulate law has only a small chance to pass,but if it does it will set us back alot instead of forward.I hope to see it defeated in November and am pointing out it`s flaws because so many people are jumping on the band wagon without reading and understanding what they are giving up with this law.If this law does pass it will be harder than ever to get the changes needed to really make marijuana legal and free. It`s better to wait if we have to until a better ballet can be written and voted on such as the Jack Herer bill.

Well we agree it isn`t perfect and it would change everything but I`m not about to vote yes in November! I don`t think there will be enough votes for this to pass anyway! It`s only value I see is it`s getting people to talk about the subject.That`s not such a bad thing although we differ greatly in what we will settle for.So what do we have to do to be united because no bill will pass with us so divided.And we all want to see change in the unfare system we have now. I would go as far as allowing normal sales taxes on non medical use marijuana and making it a crime to sell to under 18 yrs of age for non medical use marijuana.Also limit the grow area to 100 sq. ft. for non medical use per person,not household.Limit of one lbs processed marijuana per person,again only non medical.Reasonable fines for over the limit only,no jail time!

I am not an expert on the initiative, but I think the $50 tax is on the commercial side of the proposal. IMO the maket value would drop in price.

Back
Top Bottom