Marijuana-Scented Money Leads To Arrest Of Sturgeon Bay Man

Herb Fellow

STURGEON BAY – The smell of money led to the arrest last week of a 21-year-old Sturgeon Bay man on suspicion of possessing marijuana with intent to deliver. The money the man tried to deposit at a Sturgeon Bay bank on Tuesday reeked of marijuana, according to a Sturgeon Bay police report.

The odor was not the distinctive odor of the burned weed, but the musty smell of ground sweet leaves, the report said. The odor was so noticeable and so distinctive that a teller put the cash – $4,000 in bundled bills – into a plastic bag. The contact between the bills and marijuana was so intense that when Sturgeon Bay police tested a bill, the chemicals reacted positively for marijuana, according to the report.

The man was arrested when he returned to the bank to make a withdrawal.

"All the pieces just came together," Police Chief Dan Trelka said. The man was being held in the county jail on a probation violation. He was on probation from convictions in 2005 and 2006 for possessing marijuana, possessing drug paraphernalia, bail jumping, obstructing police, battery and criminal damage to property.

While the man remains in custody awaiting a hearing on the probation violation, the Door County district attorney's office is reviewing drug allegations brought against him by Sturgeon Bay police.

When officers searched the man's west side home, they found about one pound of marijuana bagged for sale. The home is within 400 feet of a ball field and 200 feet of an elementary school, putting the man at risk of harsher penalties for delivering drugs within 1,000 feet of a school or playground.

The search of the man's room also revealed $254 in cash. Police also confiscated information from the man's computer that included a Web site message saying "the crop will be ready," suggesting that marijuana would be available for delivery to him, according to the police report.

According to police, the man also banked several thousand dollars in cash in recent weeks but had no job.

Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette
Copyright: 2008, Green Bay Press-Gazette
Website: Green Bay Press-Gazette - Marijuana-scented money leads to arrest of Sturgeon Bay man

200 sum bucks in cash sounds like the dude just needed sum more dough. seems like a shaky case to me the probable cause was the money smelled like pot and tested for it, they say if u handle any amount of cash then test ur hands for drugs ull almost immediately test positive for all kinds of drugs. happened to my uncle a few years back he goes to the prison near him and talks with inmates since he was a trainwreck for a while and helps them sort crap out and when they tested him he tested + for cocaine so they had him go back and wash his hands then take the test again and it was clean. i mean once its on ur hands its pretty much gonna end up where ever you touch

lmao... my friends said this could happen but i never believed them... but i think its jokes because he was dumb enough to launder his money at the bank.... why do you think they make you sign and bag your money when you deposit it... thats what happens when you are on the cover of fried times

You should also keep any and all paperwork in seperate rooms then where you smoke.

Nothing like sending in that power bill that reeks like Cannabis and has trichs stuck all over it.

not to mention the huge spike in the power bill too :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom