Maximum amount of CBD that you can infuse into coconut oil

Cannacaps4U2

So I have just ordered a “levo 2” and I plan on making highly concentrated CBD capsules.
I believe there is a maximum amount of CBD that will be infused into the coconut oil?

I understand that I can run the coconut oil through the “levo” several times (with new material), and that will increase potency.
I am hoping to create capsules that contain 100mg of CBD. Is this possible?

I have a few cannabis strains picked out (has to do with the terpenes). A few of the strains are; Charlotte’sweb, cannatonic, AD/DC, Ringo’s gift, and sour Tsunami. I am medicating for insomnia, and too much THC is anti helpful.

I’m hoping to hear from someone that has gone down this road, and can give me some pointers.
Thanks
Mike

When I extract into oil, I try to cram 2 grams of flower into each tablespoon of oil. So, for a 15% strain that's 300mg/T, or 100mg per teaspoon.

100mg per capsule sounds like a tall order. Wonder if you'd be better off making CCO with alcohol and cutting that as needed with your coconut oil in order to get the potency you're after. 🤔

I grow Blueberry CBD as my major strain. Used to grow AC/DC but I prefer indica's over sativa's and also needed a stealthier plant. Heard good things about the others as well. If looking for sleep help I'd think you'd be better off with indica's than the more uplifting sativa's.

Have you thought of trying CBN capsules? I made some by double decarbing some thc herb, though I went the gummie route instead of capsules.

I don't know the answer to your maximum absorption amounts though I know there's been discussion about the capabilities of various oils (coconut, olive, grapeseed, pumpkin seen, etc).

A bit of further information to keep this discussion going.

I am on a quest to provide medication for my partner (45 years).
She has had problems for years with sleep, not falling asleep, but staying asleep.
Currently we are going back and forth between benzos and cannabis.

I have been making coconut oil capsules for many years, and have tried many different methods.
I grow my own strains, the last few; GG#4, Northern Lights, and just finished a crop of GDP.

My wife has been using the Northern Lights capsules and supplementing with CBD oil.
we purchased two 30ml bottles of “Aspen Green Rest”, it is 130mg per ml.
The oil taste is too objectionable, so I filled #00 capsules that hold about .9ml.
She takes two of these and one capsule of Northern Lights.
The Aspen Green is very expensive and I am hoping to produce my own.

My process for creating capsules:
Decarb 28g of ground buds in a mason jar in the oven.
Soak decarbed material in same jar, with everclear for 24 to 48 hrs
Strain material and evaporate alcohol leaving just oil.
Add sunflower lecithin ½ tsp and 150 ml of coconut oil.
Make the capsules

I have had a few suggestions to maybe decarb twice (converting thc to cbn).
Maybe making alcohol tincture with the levo and then evaporating the alcohol before adding the coconut oil.
Another option might be to use the levo and infuse a small amount of oil two or three times using small amounts of new material each time with the same oil?

I know this has been a long post and am grateful for the cannabis community and the help and support.

Soak decarbed material in same jar, with everclear for 24 to 48 hrs
The alcohol should be efficient enough that you should need a much shorter infuse time. Some put both herb and alcohol in the freezer (separately) overnight and then do a quick wash and shake. Doing it the way you're doing it dissolves a lot more of the bad tasting stuff like chlorophyll and waxes without much of any gain on the cannabinoids. You're hiding the taste in capsules so it probably doesn't matter all that much.

I have had a few suggestions to maybe decarb twice (converting thc to cbn).
The CBN gummies I made have made a big difference in how well I sleep. Definitely worth a try.

Maybe making alcohol tincture with the levo and then evaporating the alcohol before adding the coconut oil.
The coconut oil is usually used to extract the cannabinoids, but if you're already making CCO you really only need enough coconut or olive oil to make the CCO easy to work with enough to fill the capsules. Using less coconut oil would be a way to increase the potency of each capsule.

How did tis go?
What time and temp did you use when decarbing?
how were the gummies? (strong enough?)

Thanks
Mike
Was my first go. I decarb and infuse in the Instant Pot. Two dry, sealed runs a day apart for an hour each and then I infused vegetable glycerin for another hour.

I made the gummies in 5 mg pieces and now take three. Next I'm going to try cbn/cbd gummies and see if there is any difference, and I'll up the per gummie dose.

Since I started this I've been getting very restful, productive sleep and often wake up early like 4-4:30 fully done with sleep, and don't wake up multiple times like I had been. I've had very vivid dreams as well.

But it's only been recently so it could always be something else I'm doing that's completely unrelated (though can't think of anything) so I'm going to try other combinations including foregoing it completely and see if there is indeed correlation.

So, early but promising. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom