Medical Marijuana Activists Worry About Crackdown on LA pot Shops

Weedpipe

420 Member
The Los Angeles City Council expects this week to give final approval to a new law that's shut down hundreds of medical marijuana dispensaries. Some people wonder how city officials will enforce the new law.

Last week, L.A. City Councilman Bill Rosendahl quizzed city officials on how the city plans to shut down pot shops that don't fall under the 140 allowed under the new law. "So when you do that, you'll notify them so we don't have some draconian knock on the door and come-and-smash-apart type of activity" said Rosendahl, who thinks the city is overreacting to pot shops.

Jane Usher of the city attorney's office assured the councilman that the city would seek voluntary compliance. "That's how we'll proceed unless you'd prefer the smashing and knocking and the draconian."

Rosendahl said he would not.

Medical marijuana activists are still worried.

The ordinance prohibits pot shops from operating within 1,000 feet of schools, churches and parks. They can't open across the street or alley from homes or apartments. This means that every one of the 14 in Venice must close, for example.

Don Duncan is with Americans for Safe Access, a group that's lobbied on behalf of marijuana dispensaries and their patients. He acknowledged many dispensaries may ignore the new law.

"Obviously, we don't expect widespread compliance, and it remains to be seen what the city's going to do to enforce this ordinance."

Duncan said he heard the city attorney office say they'd require voluntary compliance. But, "I suspect there's something beyond that."

Los Angeles District Attorney Steve Cooley has threatened to close pot shops himself. He argues that most are little more than glorified drug dealers.

The ordinance imposes a slew of regulations on pot shops. They can only operate from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; they must employ security guards; they're subject to police inspection. They must operate as non-profits and submit to independent audits. And they're not supposed to sell marijuana – only to accept cash and in-kind contributions for its growth and delivery.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: 89.3 KPCC
Author: Frank Stoltze
Copyright: 2010 Southern California Public Radio
Website:Medical marijuana activists worry about crackdown on LA pot shops

Stay tuned folks. This ought to get real interesting. The Southern California Third Reich has spoken...:peace: MF

Zieg Hiel Meine fuhrur!!! :roorrip:

THESE TWO LINES ALWAYS GET TO ME. THE NON-PROFIT....YEAH RIGHT, DISPENSARIES GROW BIGGER OVER TIME. AND SURE I'LL HAND YOU A $20 BILL YOU GIVE ME AN OZ.....LOL
They must operate as non-profits and submit to independent audits. And they’re not supposed to sell marijuana — only to accept cash and in-kind contributions for its growth and delivery.

One fact that the powers that be don't seem to realize about the 1000 mmj shops in and around LA--if there wasn't such a demand, there wouldn't be that many in business. The market just wouldn't bear it. This speaks volumes about how many people use cannabis, and how many people will be voting against those people in office that want to shut down the market and drive it underground again. They seem to think that by removing cannabusiness from capitalistic society through prohibiting profits, that cannabusinesses will just fade into nonexistence, but what of the thousands and thousands that depend on those businesses for their medicine?

City and county officials are about to wake up the sleeping dragon with their actions against the industry and it's patients/customers, and they don't even know it....

I wonder how many bars , or sex shops are in LA ?? How many DUIs are givin out in any month ? How many gun shops ? We can go on they need to except the fact that Marijuana is here to stay it's being approved by the AMA the American Cancer Society etc doctors know now that it is a medicine and that it does work !! So when will the lawmakers understand. Even those who choose to use Marijuana as a recreational herb know it's safer for the user and for those around him/her than alcohol, or any other legal substance. Wake up people, pot users vote, and we vote regularly !! :peace:

We the people of California are not using our heads. We the people voted for prop 215. But as usual when it comes to voting for our state poltitions, we vote for the same old guy or girl that was in there before. We need to vote in new blood that will do what the people voted for. Get rid of the same old people that are suposed to look out for the voters and not for their own political future. Next time you vote, vote out the people that are not interested in serving the ones that put them there.

......Wake up people, pot users vote, and we vote regularly !! :peace:

with the supreme court decision about corporations being people with free speech rights that can spend unlimited funds for candidates or causes the re-legalization movement has a whole new batch of problems to worry about. the decision also includes churches. our votes mean less than they did a week ago. we better wake up because democracy is quickly being replaced by a mussolini style of facisim.

Yeah, Well Mussolini and his mistress were hanged by the Italian people for reasons less than this. :roorrip:

Christmas week to New Years day 2009-2010 here in LA and OC county were 1400 citations for DUI does that help?
I wonder how many bars , or sex shops are in LA ?? How many DUIs are givin out in any month ? How many gun shops ? We can go on they need to except the fact that Marijuana is here to stay it's being approved by the AMA the American Cancer Society etc doctors know now that it is a medicine and that it does work !! So when will the lawmakers understand. Even those who choose to use Marijuana as a recreational herb know it's safer for the user and for those around him/her than alcohol, or any other legal substance. Wake up people, pot users vote, and we vote regularly !! :peace:

Vote for me and I'll make a Woodstock area with free transportation services once every 6 months! LOL Actually, i totally understand putting limits on the, How "many" dispensaries there can be. Look at it in another way, the city could have said "NO" to having any in the city limits. I really think we're getting bent over nothing when you consider how far we have come since 1930's, 1950's and Nixon Class 1
Yeah, maybe 70 for the city is a small number, but come on, 600 is a little too many. I think compromise always works.
Same holds true on first trying Medical weed patients. Then if all is cool, open the doors this Nov. and then soon it will be like Alcohol, but tamer. We bark now, we may bite the wrong hands and lose everything.
We the people of California are not using our heads. We the people voted for prop 215. But as usual when it comes to voting for our state poltitions, we vote for the same old guy or girl that was in there before. We need to vote in new blood that will do what the people voted for. Get rid of the same old people that are suposed to look out for the voters and not for their own political future. Next time you vote, vote out the people that are not interested in serving the ones that put them there.

Actually everyone is out of work, so they took classes in how to operate your own shop, dispensary. I want to open a water pipe store now next to the dispensary and sale at wholesale prices one day. :))
Hence why you see so many shops, people want money. I've watched shops go from having 6 types of weed in a tiny box shop and within 6 months there adding a smoke lounge and front room and selling 20 to 25 different types and plants...hum, profits.
One fact that the powers that be don't seem to realize about the 1000 mmj shops in and around LA--if there wasn't such a demand, there wouldn't be that many in business. The market just wouldn't bear it. This speaks volumes about how many people use cannabis, and how many people will be voting against those people in office that want to shut down the market and drive it underground again. They seem to think that by removing cannabusiness from capitalistic society through prohibiting profits, that cannabusinesses will just fade into nonexistence, but what of the thousands and thousands that depend on those businesses for their medicine?

City and county officials are about to wake up the sleeping dragon with their actions against the industry and it's patients/customers, and they don't even know it....

I don't know if i Am allowed to give a link on here for BLOOMBERG.COM IF YOU GO TO THIS LINK, YOU CAN READ THE ARTICLE CALLED: California Marijuana Measure Set for 2010 Vote, Supporters Say

BUT, look in the the first or second paragraph and click on the highlighted word "measure" and it will open the measure up and PDA form and you can even see the laws, like example 21 and over and 1000 feet from places listed and the person that signed to start taking signatures.

Please note: If I'm not suppose to share this on here, sorry, just thought to help anyone out. I'm sure administration can tell me, hum yes, or no. I apologize ahead of time, if I Am not allowed to post the link. If it's still on here, then i guess it was okay to do so.

California Marijuana Measure Set for 2010 Vote, Supporters Say

If everyone on this site just wrote one letter either to your congressman or a letter to the editor and explained our points of view and a few of the facts we all seem to know That I think would be a good start. :peace:

Actually everyone is out of work, so they took classes in how to operate your own shop, dispensary. I want to open a water pipe store now next to the dispensary and sale at wholesale prices one day. :))
Hence why you see so many shops, people want money. I've watched shops go from having 6 types of weed in a tiny box shop and within 6 months there adding a smoke lounge and front room and selling 20 to 25 different types and plants...hum, profits.

And tell me....just what is wrong with that?

no need to go anywhere. we posted this a week ago....

I don't know if i Am allowed to give a link on here for BLOOMBERG.COM IF YOU GO TO THIS LINK, YOU CAN READ THE ARTICLE CALLED: California Marijuana Measure Set for 2010 Vote, Supporters Say

BUT, look in the the first or second paragraph and click on the highlighted word "measure" and it will open the measure up and PDA form and you can even see the laws, like example 21 and over and 1000 feet from places listed and the person that signed to start taking signatures.

Please note: If I'm not suppose to share this on here, sorry, just thought to help anyone out. I'm sure administration can tell me, hum yes, or no. I apologize ahead of time, if I Am not allowed to post the link. If it's still on here, then i guess it was okay to do so.

Back
Top Bottom