Medical Marijuana Advocates Notch An Early Victory In Guam

The General

With 56 of 58 precincts reporting, Guam voters appear to have legalized a medical marijuana measure. Fifty six percent of voters tallied so far have supported the measure, with 44 percent opposed. "That's great news, and a positive omen, for marijuana reform efforts across the country," said Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance, in a press release. "Guam is quite conservative politically, and home to a significant U.S. military presence, so this resounding victory is a confirmation of medical marijuana's broad support across the political spectrum."

Tom Angell of the Marijuana Majority agreed. "People all across the world are ready to move beyond failed prohibition laws, especially when seriously ill patients are criminalized just for following their doctors' recommendations," he said in an email. Over at the liveblog of Project SAM, an organization that opposes medical and recreational marijuana measures, Kevin Sabet wrote that the results aren't a huge surprise. "As we had expected, Guam legalizes medical marijuana. No surprise here... Guam's law is more restrictive than the majority of mainland US laws, and it will be interesting to see how this plays out."

According to an analysis of the bill by Guam lawyer Bill Pesch, Guam's measure doesn't allow patients to grow their own marijuana plants, which most other states allow. Patients would receive a medical marijuana recommendation from a doctor, who would have to attest that "the patient has a debilitating medical condition and the practitioner believes that the potential health benefits of the medical use of cannabis would likely outweigh the health risks for the patient."

This criteria is more restrictive than in California, where patients can receive medical marijuana for any condition that would benefit from marijuana treatment. On the other hand, many other states restrict medical marijuana recommendations to only a handful of specific conditions, like epilepsy, glaucoma or cancer, which Guam's measure does not appear to do.

Cannabis_Jars1.jpeg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Washingtonpost.com
Author: Christopher Ingraham
Website: Medical marijuana advocates notch an early victory in Guam - The Washington Post

I hope Guam nurseries have access to seed that is not mired in tariffs, customs, agriculture and federal regulations.

This is just another ripple in the sea change that is sweeping this world. Jesus is going to save this world by seeing this plant freed. Within thirty years--my remaining lifetime, I will see cannabis change hearts and minds around the world. With it will come a new true age of enlightenment. There is hope for the future because these waves will spread love far and wide. How else better to leave the world?

Over at the liveblog of Project SAM, an organization that opposes medical and recreational marijuana measures, Kevin Sabet wrote that the results aren't a huge surprise. "As we had expected, Guam legalizes medical marijuana. No surprise here... Guam's law is more restrictive than the majority of mainland US laws, and it will be interesting to see how this plays out."

Unlike Mr. Sabet, my first thought was: Even though it's a restrictive program, there will at least be many pain patients in Guam who will benefit from this baby step forward. I mean, that's what I hope "plays out" in Guam.

Well, as a curious person, that got me to thinking about SAM, Mr. Sabet, and David Frum, and so I asked Google: "Are Kevin Sabet and David Frum dating?" And this is what I found at Amazon, for the 2013 reefer-madness book written by Mr. Sabet:

"Compassionate and knowledgeable, Kevin Sabet is the most important new voice in the American drug policy debate. Policymakers, parents, and concerned citizens should heed his meticulously factual case against marijuana legalization."
--David Frum, Cont. editor, CNN, DailyBeast/Newsweek

And I'm like, really? Kevin Sabet is compassionate? He presents meticulous facts? Is this opposite day?

And just because I think Dr. Pinsky sells snake-oil, I'll include his review also:

"A most compelling look...Sabet explores this challenging landscape and arrives at more comprehensive, effective solutions than either legalization or incarceration could provide to deal with marijuana use."
--Dr. Drew Pinsky, Host, HLN

Is it any wonder that all of these rich white guys think alike? And while I'm not going to read Mr. Sabet's book, maybe someone who has can tell us if all of Mr. Sabet's warnings from 2013 have come true.

Back
Top Bottom