Medical Marijuana Could Mean Relief For 6-Year-Old Battling Rare Disease

Christine Green

Delhi Township, Ohio - A 6-year-old girl from Delhi Township is beating the odds battling a rare disease causing seizures.

WLWT first introduced you to 6-year-old JoJo Tenbrink in April.

The young girl’s mother said that with medical marijuana now coming to Ohio, her daughter's health could be improved dramatically.

She's a typical 6-year-old, living a life that's anything but. JoJo has been battling Dravet syndrome since she was 18 months old.

The disease means she's constantly at risk for seizures.

"We take it day-by-day with her. There are good days, bad days - we just try to make sure that we give her the best days and life possible that we can give her," said Chastity Tenbrink, JoJo's mother.

Since we last saw JoJo in April, her mother said she's had a few seizures, more-so recently because of the heat.

But she's also achieved so much.

She just graduated kindergarten, a moment her mother never thought she'd ever live to see.

"I cried, I really did,” Tenbrink said. “I balled my eyes out and I cried. It was a hard moment for me to watch because she's not like other kids, but at the same time, it was a huge sigh of relief to know that she hit that milestone for us."

Just days ago, Gov. John Kasich OK'd a new medical marijuana bill, meaning vapor, patches or edible forms of the drug could calm JoJo's seizures soon.

"We've had issues with liver failure because of medication, she's lost her hair, just a little bit of everything and this could give us relief for her getting off some of this medication that's causing some of these horrible side effects," Tenbrink said.

It's a big deal for this family, a medication that up until now, wasn't an option for a little girl breaking down every barrier.

Next, JoJo's mother said the 6-year-old will head to Cincinnati Children's Hospital to see if medical marijuana is an option.

A few months down the road, she'll get a brand-new service dog to help keep her safe wherever she goes.

Kasich's signature makes Ohio the 25th state to legalize a medical marijuana program. The law is slated to take effect in about 90 days.

JoJo_Tenbrink.jpg

News Moderator: Christine Green 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical marijuana could mean relief for 6-year-old battling rare disease | Local News - WLWT Home
Author: Dan Griffin
Photo Credit: WLWT 5
Website: Cincinnati News, Weather and Sports - Ohio News - WLWT Channel 5

Back
Top Bottom