Medical marijuana garage alterations a factor in carbon monoxide death

savingson

I wanted to share this article to show the importance of safety. Not only is fire a big factor for indoor growers but also co2. Theres so may newbies and Do it yourselfers like myself I wanted to make sure everyone stays safe.

SMITHFIELD, R.I. (WJAR) –
A marijuana grow operation inside a Smithfield home contributed to the deadly gas build-up, according to police reports.

Authorities are now investigating whether felony or misdemeanor criminal charges will be filed in the case.

NBC 10 News obtained police reports that detail how the fatal incident happened.

A Smithfield mother and her three children were rushed to the hospital unconscious after debris clogged the exhaust pipe of the home's heating system on Feb. 15. As a result, carbon monoxide filled the family's home on Pleasant View Avenue.

The 47-year-old mother, Kristen LaTour, died a few days later.

According to police reports, building inspectors believe the family's medical marijuana operation is partly to blame. The report notes that an improperly drilled hole in the garage allowed the family to run a garden hose to their marijuana plants. They had a permit to grow marijuana, but no permit to alter the garage.

Inspectors said the hole made for the garden hose, combined with fans installed to vent the marijuana odor, created a draft decreasing the efficiency of the home's chimney. It caused exhaust from the oil burner to eventually block the chimney.

On the day of the incident, carbon monoxide built up in the house, leaving the mother and the children unconscious.

Friends of the family told NBC 10 that the carbon monoxide detector had been removed from the home a few days earlier to check on the batteries.

But without any working detectors in the home, the family had no warning of the deadly gas.

The father, Lawrence Guy Latour, told police he went into the garage where the marijuana was grown and fell asleep. When he came back into the house about six hours later, he found his entire family unresponsive.

Firefighters initially recorded about 700 parts per million of the colorless and odorless deadly carbon monoxide inside the home. The safe level is zero.

In light of the investigative reports, Smithfield police are still reviewing the case and may seek to file misdemeanor or felony charges. They'll work with the Rhode Island Attorney General's Office.

With the ongoing investigation, authorities weren't immediately able to comment on camera.
by CRYSTAL BUI, NBC 10 NEWS

Sent w my Light, Love and Energies

I would certainly hope no DA would file charges in this case. This is a freak accident. I dare you to find one person in the world who, before this ever thought that an exhaust fan and a hole in the garage wall could kill your family.
I would go a step further and bet that the inspector is adamantly apposed to medical marijuana.
It is as likely to me that soot builds up, and always has, and if you don't clean the chimney it will clog.
But I WILL keep batteries in the detector.

A drill hole to fit a garden hose threw is not responsible for the problem whatever blocked the exhaust is responsible , the cops are just being douches imo

The furnace should of had a safety shut off that actually worked

They blame a air leak I think not or a crack under the door and windows that open would be very dangerous and we know thats not true.

If anything the small vent effect caused by the hole saved their lives not endangered them sounds like it was a very close call for the kids.

Back
Top Bottom