Medical Marijuana Supporters Fear Montana Drugged Driving Law

Jacob Bell

Montana lawmakers are considering a bill that would revise the impaired driving law to add that any amount of a dangerous drug is a violation.

But supporters of medical marijuana worry House Bill 33 would criminalize the nearly 27,000 people who hold medical marijuana cards.

Colonel Mike Tooley, head of the Montana Highway Patrol, says the effects of drugs on driving wasn’t tracked until 2009 but the results are sobering, even in Montana. “In 2010, there were 857 drugged driving cases that measured 18 different drugs,” Tooley says.

In a notable case, Tooley says the man who hit and killed Montana Highway Patrolman Michael Haynes in 2009 had a blood alcohol content of point-one-eight and had high levels of THC in his blood. THC is the main, active chemical in marijuana.

Advocates for medical marijuana say House Bill 33 unfairly targets them because the bill says, quote “driving with any amount of a dangerous drug or its metabolite in a person’s body is a violation.”

Rose Habib is a chemist and cannabis scientist from Missoula. “The presence of metabolites is only indicitive of past use or exposure not of impairment,” she says. Habib says THC can remain in the body for up to 30 days.

Opponents of the bill worry they’ll be targeted by law enforcement. Not so, say the bill’s supporters who say the burden still lies with law enforcement to show there’s probable cause, such as erratic driving.

The House Judiciary Committee did not immediately vote on the bill.

News Hawk- GuitarMan313 420 MAGAZINE
Source: transportationnation.org
Author: Jackie Yamanaka
Copyright: © Transportation Nation
Website: Medical Marijuana Supporters Fear Montana Drugged Driving Law | Transportation Nation

Such absolute bullshit is mind boggling! The driver was just plain drunk period. How is it that they publish the blood alcohol level at .18 but only indicate high levels of thc. How many nanograms is considered a high level of thc? There is no evidence that the driver was impaired by thc or that he had even used thc that day. As we all know, thc stays in our fatty cells for long periods of time.

And I quote, "to add that any amount of a dangerous drug is a violation."

So, this means they will be doing tests for dangerous drugs such as Vicodin, Percoset, Demoral, Xanax, Alprazolam(generic of xanax maybe? not sure). All of these drugs say: do not take if you will be operating machinery, driving, etc. unless you know how the drug will affect you. Some of these can cause you to fall asleep at the wheel, like Xanax and Alpraz. for sure. I know, I am supposed to take Alpraz. during anxiety attacks. I don't. Why? Because 1 pill, a very small dosage, can make me fall asleep in no time. It relaxes me too much, and makes me sleepy. I don't need that much. But cutting the pill in half is too little. So hmmm.

"In 2010, there were 857 drugged driving cases that measured 18 different drugs," Tooley says.

Ok, Mr. Tooley, how many of those drugged driving cases directly involved cannabis, with no other drug or drugs? I want to know. How Many? If it's like less than 200, then you are full of garbage. And I bet my pants it is. I bet out of 857 cases, maybe 10 were directly cannabis, with no other drugs or anything.

"Opponents of the bill worry they'll be targeted by law enforcement. Not so, say the bill's supporters who say the burden still lies with law enforcement to show there's probable cause, such as erratic driving."

This bill is strictly a boon for police and such. I'm not sure I can say this, but if not, then someone correct me please. But it's a boon for them because all the time police break the rules and get away with it. We see it daily. In the news. And no one does anything about it, except sue them. Well gee that will teach em! They made 10 million last year profit from drugs, so what if they have to give out a 100,000 here and there. They are making bank on this war on people of the US.
I don't know what the answer is, except legalize cannabis. That's the only way to get them to stop what they are doing. It can't happen any other way.
Ok, my rant is done. Soapbox, I am off it :peacetwo:

18 different types of dangerous drugs? that's like saying "the accident could have been caused by eating, or talking on the phone, or texting, or alcohol (etc) while driving." all drugs have different effects on the body, but essentially the only thing marijuana does is temporarily cause short term memory loss and usually cause you to drive slower. clearly if you snort a line or shoot up, you're going to drive horribly, regardless of whether or not you smoked cannabis.

Its the offical stance of 420 Magazine that when under the influence of Cannabis one should not be driving.

Personally speaking: Defining under the influence and the lack of proper testing equiptment by law enforcement are the contributing factors to confusion on this issue.

"Defining under the influence and the lack of proper testing equipment by law enforcement are the contributing factors to confusion on this issue."

Definitely, Jim. I think I read somewhere that CO. was trying or has made some type of road side test for measuring the "under the influence" part. Something about having a certain amount in the blood, supposed to show that you have used cannabis in the last hour or two or something like that. Hopefully they do it right :)
I'm of the opinion now that I am getting "older" and hopefully "wiser" (lol) that I just stay home lol. I did some crazy driving in my early 20's that should have landed my buns in jail, but somehow I got lucky. I'm thankful for that, and have learned from it for sure. I do not want to be the cause of an accident.

Back
Top Bottom