Medical Marijuana Supporters Make Push At State Senate

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
N.H. - Irvin Rosenfeld did something on Tuesday that almost no one else can legally do -- lit up a joint at the Statehouse.

Rosenfeld is one of only four people in the country to have received a federal prescription for medical marijuana. He said he uses it to treat symptoms of his rare bone disorder.

"To me, this is a medicine," he said. "To many, many thousands of patients, this is a medicine."

Rosenfeld was in New Hampshire to highlight the federal acknowledgment that in certain cases, marijuana has medical benefits. His visit came as the state Senate is poised to vote on a bill legalizing medical marijuana in the Granite State.

"To see that the federal government has done it and refuses to expand the program or continue the program sows the kind of hypocrisy and how much resistance that we face," said Sen. Jim Forsythe, R-Strafford.

But for some in the Senate, the problem comes down to distribution.

"I would like to see it come from the medical profession," said Sen. Jeanie Forrester, R-Meredith. "I don't like the idea of people growing marijuana."

Creating further controversy around the issue, Rep. Jerry Bergevin, R-Manchester, sent an email to various lawmakers calling supporters of the bill "potheads," while also making what was called an offensive reference to the same-sex marriage law.

"Those types of comments have no place in political discourse," said Rep. Evalyn Merrick, D-Lancaster. "They were hurtful. They were mean-spirited."

Bergevin said he was just being direct.

"I disagree with these issues," he said. "I made a straightforward analysis of what I thought."

House leaders made it clear they don't condone the words used by Bergevin.

"He has to make sure he is sensitive to the fact that his words can affect people, and he must choose them more carefully," said Republican House Majority Leader D.J. Bettencourt.

The Senate would need to pass the bill by a two-thirds majority to overcome a threatened veto by Gov. John Lynch. The House has already passed it by a veto-proof majority.

ht_irvin_rosenfeld_091123_mn.jpg

Irvin Rosenfeld​

News Hawk: Jim Behr: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: WMUR-TV
Copyright: Hearst Properties Inc.
Website: Medical Marijuana Supporters Make Push At State Senate

Back
Top Bottom