Minimum Humidity to Flower

tucker99

My grow is in my basement. Even with a dehumidifier I'm having a problem keeping humidity below 60%. I'm beginning to veg now so not a problem but wondering how low I have to get it when I begin flowering. Temp is 68-73 deg in sleep and light cycles. At what point do I have to worry about moldy buds? Thanks guys!

Hi tucker99. I have a fair amount of experience with this because for the last five years I've been growing in very humid conditions. RH gets highest in the lights off period when temps drop. 'Night' humidity would regularly be in the 80s and often 90s, especially if I'd been watering everything to runoff, or flushing.
I've recently got a dehumidifier which I put on at night time when I need it. Right now I only have one plant in late flowering and it's showing no sign of problems so I haven't bothered plugging in the dehum. All the other flowering plants are in the first half of budding cycle and aren't at risk.
To keep mold at bay I -
-Top and train plants (scrog) so I have many medium size buds instead of one main large cola.
- keep movement fans going 24/7. This helps a lot
- keep undergrowth cleared out and room free of debris, and cover water containers.
- keep temps above 75

I would only get mold on the biggest densest buds. Whenever I got a large bud I would be nervous.
Mold only appears generally in the last 1/3 of flowering when buds get large and dense.
I've heard of people using sulphur as a mold preventative. Apparently it works ok, I don't know anything about it.
Some strains are more mold resistant than others for whatever reason.

Watch for the signs. Late in bud if you notice wilted leaves on the bud ( the little stalks that stick out of the buds with leaves on them) there's a good possibilty rot has set in. Rot starts in the center near the stem and goes unseen. I go around and check the large buds once in a while, spreading them open to look at the center.
Despite my extreme RH I didn't have major problems. But I'm glad to have the dehumidifier now. People say that you should keep your RH below 50. I think anything below 70 should be fine if you're careful. You definitely don't have to worry about it till a month or so into budding, at the soonest.

hopefully this will help....

humidity-chart.jpg

Thanks guys, yea Rip I saw that chart and that's why I posted the question. I'm going hydro with a waterfarm so that makes matters worse. I just germinated and planted the sprout yesterday so I'm figuring going to flower mid August. Hopefully the RH in my area will drop. Right now ambient outside RH is 72. I'm in a cabinet with exhaust fan and passive vents in the bottom, also have a fan circulating air. I can't think of much more to do.

I think you'll be fine mate. Outside humidity where I live is nearly constant 90- 100%. I grow with hid lights and they heat things up and dry it out a bit during lights on. My out- vent fan is controlled by thermostat and kicks on regularly, bringing in cooler humid air from outside, through a passive intake vent. At night the vent fan doesn't come on much, if at all, because the temps drop, and plants transpire, so RH rises. My little 300w dehum has no trouble, during lights out, dropping the RH in the 8'x8' flowering room down to whatever I want.
I'm not sure of your setup but I think with a little care you'll be fine, and see ways to improve the situation if you get tired of being borderline, as I did.

Back
Top Bottom