Mold while curing? Help!

Chile 420

Hi guys,

I recently harvested two plants, one on March 25th and the other on April 1st, and after having the buds dry for approximately 4 days each, they went into glass jars, getting burped at least once a day for like 20 minutes, sometimes more. This went on for about 4 weeks for the first buds and 3 weeks for the second plant. At that point everything seemed to be go along well (smells, flavors getting better), and the buds seemed like they were dry enough, so I left the jar closed for about 4 days so that I would stop opening it every time I looked at the beautiful jar of buds. Today I decided to take them out of the closet and take a look at them, and when I opened the jars to smell them, the smell was different...a somewhat sour smell...

I looked at all the buds from both jars, and unfortunately in one jar, there was 1 small bud (on the top of the jar) with a bit of cobweb/moth-nest white stuff. I immediately pulled out all the buds to inspect, and that was the only bit of white material that I found. However, like I said, the buds do seem to have taken a different smell, something less heady smelling and a bit more pungent odor. I also am currently sick and was dealing with a lot of congestion last night, so that might be effecting it, however like I said I did find the tiniest bit of mold on one of the buds of one jar.

From what I've read, mold and thrichomes can be pretty easily confused, but I was wondering if someone could take a look at these two pictures and let me know what they think. I have taken a sample bud from each jar.

problems13.jpg

problem24.jpg

I really hope that maybe my nose is just playing tricks on me and I'm sick, but there definitely was a tiny bit of mold on one bud in one jar. Does that mean that all the buds in that jar are starting a process of decay? Is there anything that I can do? Is smoking moldy bud really that bad fro you?

For now I am just leaving them in the jars with the lid off

Thanks for all your advice...

Re: Mold while curing?? Help!

It's hard to say based on the pictures but I don't see any problems with those buds. If you did find mold, then your buds are still too wet and need to dry more before they can be left alone for a while. I think where you made your mistake was completely stopping the burping rather than ramping it down over time. I would continue to burp maybe every other day for a week or two then every third day, etc. You might want to check out Boveda 62% Humidipaks they are available from at least one 420 Sponsor. I only had to burp twice within the first 36 hours and have left them alone since. My last jar has been curing for 4 months now and the buds are aging wonderfully. They look exactly like they did the day I first placed them in the jars and the aroma is becoming more complex and much stronger in intensity.

Thanks Colorado High!

So you don't think that I should take them completely out the jar for a few days or anything like that? I should be good with just removing the tiny bit of mold that I found, and then bupring the same jars every other day for the next fews weeks?

You're welcome Chile 420! I think a good long burp right now would be a good idea, no more than a couple hours or so. Then start where you left off and slowly ramp down. You can also ramp down by shortening the burp time each day while still burping every day, whatever works for you.

Thanks a lot Colorado, I really appreciate the advice. I almost had a heart attack when i saw the bit of mold, but hopefully everything works out.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom