Move To Legalize Marijuana In California Sparks Fears About Drop In Prices

Legalize today. Are we all registered voters? Legalization of marijuana will encourage tourist to come to California which will stimulate the economy. Think of all the new potential customers the marijuana farmer will have.

Fingers crossed..If Cali makes it legal, Everywhere else is next..lol :roorrip:

Correct me if i'm wrong, But is'nt 24 ounces considered a 60 day supply in the western states? i.e. California, Oregon, and Washington..If so, Then holy shit Batman. :roorrip:

that would be 2.5 oz a day or 70 grams a day!!! ummm that would be a lot of weed for anyone hahaha :yummy:

On the flip side.

Actually the price might not drop, but could go up!

All about supply and demand. Even though it would be legal to grow your own, it's possible there could be several million potential new "clients" that simply wouldn't want to deal with growing.

Who really cares about market prices (which will sort out) as long as it's finally decriminalized! What a great possibility for California!

SF

The price will not go up. This last season in the "emerald triangle" we had a glut of good bud and the price for it went from $200+- an oz. to $160 wholesale.

I do not understand... as the new bill there will be a 50.00/tax on every ounce. So I am not sure who to believe... prices up or down with the 50.00 tax hike?

How is the $50 tax going to be enforced when you can grow a bunch in your garden?
I live and work in the medical marijuana industry in the "emerald triangle". Some folks are scared that legalizing cannabis will result in a huge hit in the cash flow through this area. We have gone through this before with the huge reduction in logging income. Now we may have to cater to the large marijuana tourist industry. Some folks have already done this. I was kind of worried about this myself, being a patient, grower (small) and broker. So I figure that I will figure out what to do as politics unfold. Just the way things evolve.
Oh, and the $50 tax wouldn't apply to medical marijuana.:reading420magazine:

The price will not go up. This last season in the "emerald triangle" we had a glut of good bud and the price for it went from $200+- an oz. to $160 wholesale.

Cloverguy

I respect your opinion and your personal observations, but I disagree with your statement, the prices will not go up.

You didn't have the potential to sell to MILLIONS of new legal customers, which creates the demand.

Again, back to Economics 101, Supply and Demand, the price could very well go up. Just like gasoline does when more people use it!

Thanks Cloverguy!

SF

I do not believe that the prices on cannabis would go up significantly. If they do it would be a short-term affect.

I did worry for a moment that the prices on medical-use cannabis would go up, but they're already several times higher than they should be so here's hoping that open competition would actually drive those prices DOWN!

I expect that prices for growing equipment - and seeds - would go up. Significantly.

On the flip side.

Actually the price might not drop, but could go up!

All about supply and demand. Even though it would be legal to grow your own, it's possible there could be several million potential new "clients" that simply wouldn't want to deal with growing.

Who really cares about market prices (which will sort out) as long as it's finally decriminalized! What a great possibility for California!

SF

This is the more likely scenario. Prices will not go down. Millions of new customers in the market. The law of supply and demand will prevail just as it always does.

I just don't see "millions" of "new" customers in this market. Sorry. Instead, I see millions of "secret" users coming out of the closet. The amount of "new" users will be the same as it always has.....

:nomo:

I think dispensaries have profited enough from our medical problems. Considering dispensaries will be moved to industrial areas in Los Angeles marijuana should be legal so people will have easy access to it with out relying on dispensaries.
Boycott dispensaries that have 1/8th's for over $65
Register and VOTE.

Great points everyone!!!

California's Population at 2009 was 38,292,687. If even a small bump of 1 or 2% of the population can now obtain MJ legally, and they don't grow it themselves (we're biased because we're all growers, many people would rather buy), that's a whole bunch of customers to service.

Can demand be met?

All I can say for follow up is that time will tell.

Thanks.
SF

The price to grow it outdoors will be chump change. Since it needs very little inputs, that makes it a great cash crop. A bale of the stuff is only going to cost at most a few bucks. About the same as hay bales are now. That will be the commerial stuff. The fine buds that the select few will grow will be like fine wines. Right now you can get some commercial wine in a box for a few bucks, or you can pay hundreds or thousands for a rare vintage. That is where I see the market going. There will be books on how to grade bud and how to serve it. There will be Cannabis only parties where a lot of eating will be going on. Use your imagination- it is going to get trippy.

It's not going to pass so all of this is just entertainment anyway.

Shame, though. [EDIT: For it would help MANY people if it did; and as for those few who it would hurt... they don't count in my world.]

[Further EDIT: I guess this post came off as a negative one. And I suppose it was - and apologize for it. I hope that it does pass. I just have trouble envisioning the possibility as it'll provoke between state and federal governments over states' rights. And while our fearless leader didn't ignore ALL of the promises he made before being elected, he's building a track record that doesn't speak well for Freedom in general and states' rights in particular. Still, enough people can confound even the most capricious ruler as has been shown time and time again when apathy didn't win out. But there is a lot of apathy in this country it must be said. Too many people unwilling to reach for the greater because doing so endangers the "things" that they've managed to possess, and so forth. But I shouldn't have let my beliefs color my post or this thread; again, I apologize.]

Anyone who grows solely for profit is in this for all the wrong reason. Perhaps they should take up politics instead if money is their main concern.

I will be putting pressure on my gf to make the move to cali w/ me if this happens. :) GL cali! lol

When weed was $20 an ounce in the good old days, it was full of stems and seeds. The time you sifted it out you didn't have that much. And it was not very good weed either

that would be 2.5 oz a day or 70 grams a day!!! ummm that would be a lot of weed for anyone hahaha :yummy:

Up here in Canada we have a fellow who is allowed 60 grams a day = 292 plants!!! I thought that was extreme, but he eats a lot of it, the rest goes on his body in one form or another. 70 grams is a huge amount.

That's almost 49 pounds a year! It's a good thing he's allowed to grow his own, that'd be a fortune to purchase.

Wonder if he needs someone to haul away the old roots, trunks, stems, leaves, and bud that did not fully develop?

Back
Top Bottom