MPP Scandal: The Plot Thickens

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
In a a scathing cover story in the Washington City Paper, Amanda Hess exposes the "culture of sexual harassment at the Marijuana Policy Project." Even suspended MPP executive director Rob Kampia concedes, “I used inappropriate language to nearly everyone on staff.”

Of course, it's a lot worse than inappropriate behavior. Kampia admits to having sex with a subordinate female employee on Aug. 6. Seven staffers resigned over the incident, among other things, and the MPP board placed Kampia on three-month leave on Jan. 18.

Here are some of the revelations in Hess' story:

• Kampia on the "incident": “If I had a different attitude toward sex - if I had a more healthy attitude toward sex - I would not have hooked up with her that night."

• Former associate director of communication Dan Bernath: “Rob’s behavior - and the single-minded way in which he approached that situation - was predatory in every sense of the word. She was days out of a serious long-term relationship. She was vulnerable. Everyone was drinking.” Bernath says Kampia had exhibited “sexual harassment, openly predatory behavior, and complete and possibly sociopathic disregard for the harmful effects his actions have had on his employees.”

• Board chairman and the MPP's chief funder Peter Lewis: “The issue of Rob being forced out by his staff never came to my attention. I did offer a reaction to the idea of his not being here - I may have said something about how that might drive me out... But that didn’t end up being the outcome... We already knew [Kampia’s behavior] was as bad as it could be. It couldn’t have been any worse than that.”

• Former staffer Sarah Hench regarding the circulation of an email in which Kampia wrote, "The breast massage will happen" to a woman who recently had breast surgery: “He responded by deliberately trying to make me uncomfortable and then three days later sent me an e-mail with completely unnecessary sexual comments in it.”

• The MPP board initially concluded in August that “Rob clearly understands, acknowledges and apologizes for having exhibited poor judgment and bad behavior, and having been an imperfect example. He has committed to us, and will to you soon, that his behavior is now changed and that he will obtain remedial sensitivity and behavior modification training ASAP.”

Is Rob Kampa finished at the MPP? If so, who should be his replacement?

NewsHawk: User: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: celebstoner.com
Copyright: 2010 CelebStoner
Website: Marijuana Policy Project Scandal: The Plot Thickens

Back
Top Bottom