My first grow

Blue Lightning

Hi everyone! This is my first grow ever and I'm having slight problems. I hope you guys can help me out a little bit.

Basic info:

Room area: 2.1 m^2
Room ventilation: a ventilation shaft and two small fans blowing on the plants.

Strand: Auto-ak47
Number of plants: 10
Stage: flowering for a few weeks now
Growing base is soil.
Pot size: 11 litres with Canna Terra Pro soil.
Lighting: 2x 400W HPS
The temperature is quite hot, but the fans seem to cool the air around the plants for aprox 25 C.
Unforunately I have no idea of the pH of the soil, but I believe it's pretty stable, so 5.5-6.5.
There should be no pests since it's ingrown.
I water every time the soil gets dry. I determine dryness by sticking a wooden chop-stick for approx 5-8 cm in the soil.

The fertilizers I've used are:
- Substral for vege (6%-1,3%-5%; Nitrogen-Phosphor-Potassium)
- Canna Terra Flores for flowering, twice a week by the standards.
- At the germination state, I used a rooting hormone and same thing when we planted the seeds; I spread a little bit of the hormone in powder form on the soil and planted the seed, which probably made them grow slower due to immense root formation.

2012-06-18_16_16_13.jpg
2012-06-18_16_16_07.jpg
2012-06-18_16_16_00.jpg
2012-06-18_16_15_52.jpg
2012-06-18_16_15_46.jpg
2012-06-18_16_13_54.jpg
2012-06-18_16_13_46.jpg
2012-06-18_16_13_38.jpg
2012-06-18_16_13_29.jpg

As you can see from the images above, the leaves are wilting and showing a spectrum of different leaf colour. At first I thought the problem was overwatering, since I water 0.3-0.5 litres about every 2 days and then reduced it to about 0.2 litres with fertilizers (0.1 litre of pure water, 0.05l Canna Terra flores, 0.05l substral solution). The substral was involved because I thought they had nitrogen deficiency due to darker coloured leaves. But now the problems have escalated a bit; the wilting continues and so does the yellowing.

What should I do?

Im new as well, but have found this table I am using to try and determin the problems by the plants reaction.
I cant post the link to it here, it blocks it for whatever reason. Yellowing lower leaves means a lack of (N), (P) ,(K), (Mg)
Now whether or not its a lack of all, or just one I dont know..
NITROGEN (N)
Pale plants, red stems, smaller growth. Rapid yellowing of lower leaves progressing up the plant. Add any chemical fertilizer containing N. Treated plants recover in about a week.

PHOSPHORUS (P)
Slow or stunted growth, red stems. Smaller leaves that are dark green. Lower leaves yellow and die. Add chemical fertilizer containing P. Affected leaves will not show recovery but new growth will apear normal.

POTASSIUM (K)
Affected plants are usually tallest and appear to be most vigorous. Necrotic spots form on lower leaves. Red stems. Leaves appear pale or yellow. Add chemical fertilizer containing K.

CALCIUM (Ca)
Lack of calcium in the soil results in the soil becoming too acid. This leads to Mg or Fe deficiency or very slow stunted growth. Treat by foliar feeding with one teaspoon of dolomatic lime per quart of water until condition improves.

SULFER (S)
Plants suffering from S definciencies exhibit yellowing of new growth. Mix one tablespoon of Epsom salts per gallon of water until condition improves.

MAGNESIUM (Mg)
Lower leaves yellow and may even turn white while veins remain dark green. Blades die and curl upward.

IRON (Fe)
Leaves on growing shoots turn pale and veins remain dark green. pH imbalances make iron insoluble. Foliar feed with chemical fertilizer containing Fe or rusty water.

MANGANESE (Mn)
Necrotic and yellow spots form on top leaves. Mn deficiency occurs when large amounts of Mg are present in the soil. Foliar feed with any chemical fertilizer containing Mn.

BORON (B)
Growing shoots turn grey or die. Growing shoots appear burnt. Treat with one teaspoon of Boric acid (sold as eyewash) per gallon of water.

MOLYBDENUM (Mb)
Yellowing of middle leaves. Foliar feed with chemical fertilizer containing Mb.

ZINC (Zn)
White areas form at leaf tips and between veins. Occurs in alkaline soils. Zn deficiency can be treated by burying galvanized nails in the soil. Chemical fertilizer containing Zn can also be used.

OVER FERTILIZATION
Causes leaf tips to appear yellow or burnt. To correct soil should be flushed with three gallons of water per one gallon of soil.

I have done a bit of outdoor grows, and can say that the wilting is generally lack of water, or root binding. It seems you have plenty of root room, so if the wilting seems to go away the day after you water I would say just push your watering day back.

Right now I marked each plant with a number for days between watering, i wait to see a wilt and just water a day earlier the following time.

Otherwise I will wait for a more experienced guy to help and subscribe... Thanks for your journal, your a couple weeks ahead of me so I will keep an eye on it
And :bravo: I've never seen an upside down grow before, very inventive. lol

Thanks for the list - It looks very useful.

Back
Top Bottom