My plants @ day 6 don't look so good

Tokist

following is a picture of my plants at day 6 (today). compared to other pics of plants i've seen at day 6, they look frail and papery. they feel pretty sturdy. i've seen pics of people who have plants whose leaves are sticking straight up trying to soak up the light above them.

day_6_6_.jpg

day_6_5_DNU.jpg

day_6_8_.jpg

they're in some cheap miracle gro potting soil mixed with some perlite. watered with ph6 water that had some root enhancer in it. as per some other threads i put a very very weak nute solution in there.

any ideas?

here's my grow log

Re: my plants @ day 6. don't look so good....

bump

it's day 7 and they're looking about the same. usually within a 24 hour period there's some signs of growth. this pasy 24 hours one plant doesnt look like it did anything. the other one is thinkin about it....

Yes you can move those to hydro. They may need to stretch a little to give you more stem to work with.
I put them in low light so they have to strain their neck to get to the light source.
When I'm ready to transplant I take them out of the pot and set it in a pail of water and let slosh it around some
to separate most of the dirt from the roots. Then I take the plant and hold it under running water while
very gently woking the roots with my fingers to remove what is stuck on the roots. When it is as clean as I can
get it, I put it in a net cup as deep as I can and fill with hydroton. I do DWC so I put the water level in the tub at
least up to the bottom of the cups and very light feed until I see some good root development.

thanks. i just got done transplanting them. i didn't go through the extent you did to get all the dirt and stuff out but i did get the vast majority of it. i didnt have much stem to work with so i did the best i could. im pretty sure some of the roots have hydroton sitting right on top of em, but oh well. i made a mini-dwc setup with a small tupperware container and a netcup. both plants are sharing the same netcup and listening to some music while mother nature takes its course. once the water in my main res is ready, i'll put them into my main dwc setup with all my little seedlings.

heres what they look like right now:

20121002_131215.jpg

they were jammin out to some damian marley but when the album was done i closed the door and let em snuggle up and get warm. should i put a dome or something over them to help raise humidity? maybe a foliar spray of some fresh rain water?

they're underneath a 300w 2700k cfl at the moment. about a foot away.

more background info and pics in my log

I would switch to 6500 k cfl if I were you. Cannabis loves to veg under cfl's... now flowering... not sure, hear a lot of different stories but I am sure the set ups were just as different as the stories :) . At this stage I used 2, using a total of 8, 23 watt cfl 6500 k up to the last week of veg. 4 per plant worked great and got my plants to about 15 inches by week 4.
IMG_021315.JPG

already moved em. that's what they were under originally. I had set em under the other the light because that's where the air pump was setup. they don't look an my droopier or anything. still looking pretty good.

Hows it going since you transferred to hydro? I wouldve kept it in soil. Its to small to be in hydro, next time wait until the roots are more developed. It wasnt the miracle grow that was the problem. It might of beeen the type of plant or light. What type of water were you using also? hydro could be a bigger problem if you dont keep up with the PH of the solution in the hydro system. Also get some hydrogen peroxide to add to the solution to stop algae from building up. Just add a couple drops.

Hows it going since you transferred to hydro? I wouldve kept it in soil. Its to small to be in hydro, next time wait until the roots are more developed. It wasnt the miracle grow that was the problem. It might of beeen the type of plant or light. What type of water were you using also? hydro could be a bigger problem if you dont keep up with the PH of the solution in the hydro system. Also get some hydrogen peroxide to add to the solution to stop algae from building up. Just add a couple drops.

i dont think it was the light. im using you're run of the mill cool blue cfl's for vegging. i dunno about the type of plant. i wouldn't put it past the soil to be honest. it was three dollars for a 30 pound back of it from wal-mart. it doesn't even really feel like soil, it feels more like wood chips and saw dust. mix that with perlite and you got yourself an air medium. the water rentention was pretty good, but eh.

i wish i had taken a photo of the roots, because they looked pretty shitty. almost like cob web. i thought for sure the plants were done for.

but here they are today:

and here's the little ICU unit i made for them out of a sterilite pencil/crayon box. 96 cents from wal-mart. nice little dwc bubbler :D i wrapped them in a shirt to keep the light from penetrating the cheap layer of spray paint i used on the container. light still seeps through so that oughtta help.

so it looks like the mission was a success. thanks much to oldman60 for making it sound so easy (cuz it was). my buddy at my hydro shop made it sound like there was a 90 percent chance my plants would die from shock. other threads i read were kind of inconclusive; no one had ever tried it, but everyone had a different way to do it.

if you guys wanna keep following, drop by my grow log :D

i've got a small bottle of rapidstart from gh. there isn't any in the solution they're sitting in right now but i'll be integrating it into their nutes once i switch them to the big dwc chamber. i keep the ph right around 6 or so. im using the tester where you put some of the green stuff in your water and the color gives you your ph. unfortunately, i dunno what shade of yellow means 5.8 or 6.2 so i try to get it as close to what i think 6.0 is. seems to be working so far. one day ill get a proper php tester....

i've got a small bottle of rapidstart from gh. there isn't any in the solution they're sitting in right now but i'll be integrating it into their nutes once i switch them to the big dwc chamber. i keep the ph right around 6 or so. im using the tester where you put some of the green stuff in your water and the color gives you your ph. unfortunately, i dunno what shade of yellow means 5.8 or 6.2 so i try to get it as close to what i think 6.0 is. seems to be working so far. one day ill get a proper php tester....

I use the same type of PH tester. Those are good to have even if you have a PH pen, PH pens really dont buffer good. Thats unless your about to spend $300 on one. And if you do then get the blue 3 in one meter. It tells you the PPM of your solution, PH, & TEMP. But yellow is 6.5-7.0. once it starts to look greenish yellow then its over 7.0. Keep it at a light orange or yellow and your good. If your solution is to dark to get the right color then add more water to dilute it more.

And you should put that rapid starter in your solution now. Healthier roots means a healthy growing plant. Add that in ever time you feed.:thumb:

thanks for the great info. this ph tester is givin me headaches. and i think i been probably putting in closer to greenish yellow than orangeish yellow. which means the ph has been too high for my liking....

i aint about to pay 300 dollars for no ph pen!

Yea your going over the 7.0 mark with yellowish green. Try to get it yellow, but as long as its mostly yellow on either side your fine. They have PH pens for $60. If you find less then you will have to shop around. The PH drops been doing me just fine. It was always a pain for me to check the PH of the solution every other hour & running back and forth to the bathroom to rinse out the capsule and the squirted thingy. Also you should look into buying some liquid seaweed or kelp. That stuff will give your plant a great boost also.

It was always a pain for me to check the PH of the solution every other hour & running back and forth to the bathroom to rinse out the capsule and the squirted thingy.

lmao! you've felt my pain then. what i do now is i take a couple five gallon buckets and let em sit for a couple days. they say that as the chlorine evaporates from your tap water, the ph will rise. so i let all the chlorine evaporate, then make my ph adjustments and the water seems to stay at a steady ph the rest of the time.

this way the ph doesnt change every couple hours on me.

if i can score a ph pen for only sixty bucks, im so there.

it's a whole kit from general hydroponics. i dont think you can just buy the ph testing solution by itself, but maybe.

here's what it looks like:

its 15 bucks on amazon.

what you do is you take your nutrient solution and fill it up halfway in that tiny vial. then you take the super concentrated test indicator (that tiny little bottle) and put three drops in the vial. you match the color it turns to to the colors on the dropper bottle and that gives you an estimate of your ph level.

i dunno why i went into that much detail....

Up until this year I never had any kind of ph tester. I used RO water and GH nuts. All I tested was the ppm.
Maybe I was just lucky. I got a pen this year because the plant I had going this year had problems due to
extreme neglect. The pen is a cheapo. You can find it for 10 bucks on Ebay. It seems to be fairly accurate
if you calibrate weekly. I have 3 youngsters going now with GH nutes and the ph is always 5.8-6.0 when
I test. The pen has helped with the distressed plant. The ph keeps dropping with her and have to adjust daily.
Without the pen I may not have been able to save her. Not sure why her ph does that and the other are
rock steady. Maybe decomposing roots from her stressed out summer. Well worth the 10 bucks, of course
you will need calibration fluid too.

Back
Top Bottom