My question on legalization

wavewillow7n05

if pot were to ever get legalized, what happens to the people who are sittin in jail right now for mj-related things? would they have to finish their time? or would they be released?

a whole hell of a lot of people would be free

Actually, if they legalize, it'll be to a certian extent. i think anyways. meaning they won't legalize like any amout and grow your own freee ofr all. Laws will be made, saying for instance, once can only have 20 plants growing at once and carry 1oz or less at a time on them etc. The people that are in jail and serving time are big time dealers moving pounds and pounds of herb at a time, they probably won't get off.

Anyways, point is, you gotta realize and comprehend that legalization isn't mj free for all, laws on possession and growing and selling will be installed..

really doubtfull any of them will be freed. the reason is even though...if ever the law is changed repealing the prohibition on marijuana, those people still broke the laws of the time. Though I am betting most of them will appeal, and sue(at our expense...of course!) for there freedom, as well as lost wages..pain and suffering...bla bla bla. That's the problem with legalization that is going to be very very hard, as well as very expensive to fix. The falso war on marijuana has dug itself a hole deeper than we can ever imagine. If you legalise pot, what do you do with the tens or even hundreds of thousands of government officials and officers whose sole purpose is to catch potgrowers/smugglers/dealers/smokers? It is something that will take years or even decades to fix. It's going to cost 10's of billions of dollars, as well as lots of lost jobs.

Though there is a lot of benefits from legalization that are unheard of in most circles. First off, a great deal of electricity will be saved, due to people being able to harvest outdoors rather than inside under high powered lamps. Also there will be a dramatic decrease in crime, for a massive amount of police resources are used to catch people in marijuana crimes. Also there will be a lot of other great benefits, what happens to drug dealers when nobody needs them anymore? That's right...they will have to turn to legal means of employment. Which in turn will help our lower income areas(ghettos) by decreasing the violence and gang activity, because people will no longer need to get there herbs from them. As well as less drug use...that's right..I said LESS!!! Most people who have smoked pot, have never actually smoked good marijuana. And yes, i do not care if your dealer told you, that you were smoking/buying super high grade cannabis. 90% of the time or more...it isn't true. If it were legal, most people would have access to the highest grades available. Medical grade. And medical grade is almost only found from either a private grower(self grown by most), or from a cannabis club. I for one am a user of medical grade cannabis, and it is out of this world. If more people were able to use medical grade cannabis, there would be less need for other drugs, ie cocaine or even heroin. They will still have the junkies whom need it, but the majority of people will get that high they get from those drugs, from very potent cannabis which would most likely be flooding the market within a few years. Plus, think of the tens of billions of dollars the government will save by legalizing marijuana. The billions spent every year on cannabis prohibition will be saved, as well as the massive amount of taxes earned from the legal sale of cannabis. lets be realistic guys, you most likely will never see cannabis for sale at 10 dollars an ounce. But you may see it around 40dollars an ounce with taxes. Sorry about the rant, i'm just trying to inform.

Yeah, what he said. I hope all those that were wrongfully jailed will sue the shit out of our government when the herb is legal.

^you mean sue them for putting them in jail when it was illegal? cuz I'd don't think that'd fly. I think small amount possesers and small amount growers would be granted their freedom. But like DaHui said, big time drug dealers and large scale growers would still sit in prison.

They should legalize it and tax it like cigarettes. That way everyone wins. There will still be the crack and meth heads for the cops and the DEA to stay busy with so trust me no one will lose their jobs. I think (and hope) that eventually the government will realize they are policing a weed that takes great care and time to produce when meth is a cheap and availible thing. The government will eventually stretch it's resources too thin and they will be forced to legalize in favor of policing harder more problematic drugs. I feel this is the only way the government will legalize. Take for instance the recent change in FAA regulations. All of a sudden it is ok to bring sowing needles on planes when it was a security risk a short while ago? It's all about money, we needed more to police bombs so sowing needles are instantly no big deal.

Marijuana wont be legalized for many many years...so the people that are in prison will be long dead...and for those who arn't in prison yet, im sure it will be the same for them.

Back
Top Bottom