My Set Up Help and Advice Needed

MrGreenie

Hi Guyz
I've just posted in the Introduction Section, and making sure i discuss my set up in the right section hence this posting here.
Ok
This is my first time ever at trying to grow, so my wording on certain things and know how isn't that great, but i have done allot of research though, and i have a good idea on what to do, but you can't beat experience, for which is something i don't have.

Ok this is my story so far...

I selected my grow room to be a Closet/ Airing Cupboard.
Measurements are in feet and inches ok.
Height 8"0
Width 2"7
Length 2"10

Walls and ceiling are painted white Emulsion , with a old white glossed door Standard size.

My lighting is a 600 Watt HPS With correct Rating Ballast.
I have just reset the mounting suspension for the light so the top of the light reflector is a good foot from the ceiling and it is hanged by cord on a converted roller blind pulley system, works a treat.

The lighting is connected to a 4 socket relay extension with 2 leads coming off the extension cable 1 marked mains and 1 marked timer, self explanatory here.

My timer was missing from the kit but has i have a mains feed to a double socket i am currently manually using the timer plug.

I have an Oscillating Fan also connected to the 4 way relay extension.

I have the 4 pot Wilma system each pot is 11 Liters in capacity.

Yet to purchase an Extraction Fan Kit, (Do i need one ?) If so Does Anyone know where i can get one cheap here in the UK?

I have just received today my Draper 3in1 P/H Tester and tbh im pleased with it for the money, only 12 quid delivered off Amazon.
It measures light, Moisture in soil, and P/H levels in Soil and Liquids.

In the Wilma System i have used 20 Liters of Distilled water with BioBizz soil and it Tested Today at 7.7 as did the water.

I have a small propagator for seedlings and yesterday i transfered my 6 day old seedlings into the Wilma Pots and set my Growroom up and 8 hours later after a very agitated nights sleep woke up to 2 dead seedlings, well if they aren't dead they are seriously wilted.
1 x Silver Haze
1 x BigBud

My missus came up with the idea of lining the walls in Tin Foil as my reflective sheeting was missing from my kit (Supplier failed me)
I did a proper job of fitting it it looked alright, but as the fan Oscillated it rattled like thunder in a biscuit tin, and created the cupboard to a oven.
The Door to the cupboard as slightly warped due to the extreme heat.

So today i ripped that out and as mentioned at the start raised my light, it was just under 3 feet away from the seedlings.

What i found out today with the Tester that i got Today was that the soil by the roots was 90% wet (oh Dear) i know this is not good as well as poor ventilation and to add cooking the plants at gas mark off the scale led to the death's of my seedlings.

I know i need a Thermometer / Hygrometer to read the Temperature of Grow room but i am still awaiting delivery of it (Ordered same time as P/H tester)

The advice i am after is, is my 600 Watt HPS to much for 1 week old seedlings?
I read that they can be used as long as they are 4 Foot away from the tips of the plants. But i just under estimated the distance of the lamp rather than measuring it, I'm well peed off. Live and learn.

Also i turned on my dripper system using the smaller blue drippers rather than the larger black ones and some quick reading led me to believe that dripping for 15mins once a day would be suffice, but on testing my soil today proved that theory to be rubbish.

Please though i need advice on lighting and room size as i think my grow room is to small for the lighting, i have spent £236/$383 on my set up excluding tester, gauges, seeds and distilled water and i know i still gotta invest more money, but I'm nearly broke.

And are the seedlings beyond repair?
The stems above the soil a still thick and moist but half way up they are both dried out and shriveled.

I will get some pics sorted soon.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanx in Advance.

600 watts is a lot for that space. Heat build up will be an issue. Seedlings like it a little warmer but go easy on the water and no nutes yet. You will need an exhaust fan to help keep the temps in check. How close is the light to the seedlings?

Thanx for the reply Screwnuts33

I have moved the light up now and the light is off in the hope that the seedlings might recover as they are still moist although wilted, the light is a good 4"6 away now

Also i turned on my dripper system using the smaller blue drippers rather than the larger black ones and some quick reading led me to believe that dripping for 15mins once a day would be suffice, but on testing my soil today proved that theory to be rubbish.

Im running 2x 8 pot wilmas and 1x 4 pot, check out my journal to get an idea but what i found out the small blue spikes are the flood spikes and the larger black ones are the drip, im useing the blue spikes in clay :peace:

Back
Top Bottom