Need a checkup on my first grow please

simpeltun

420 Member
So this is my first plant ever and I think it's going pretty well but I would like some opinions about the LST and topping. I topped it at the third full set of leaves (pic 1) 2 weeks ago. It loved that and the lower branches really bulked up. I started LST pulling the two top branches apart (blue) and pulling some of the lower growth around so that there are 8 growth points that aren't growing over each other (orange and yellow). Now the top two are quite long so I did a kind of half assed mainline but didn't strip the lower stuff, so the ends near the outer blue ties have just been topped and the second set of growth was removed.

Does this seem like it will work? I want it to be wider than it is deep, to allow room for a couple of smaller plants in the other half of the tent. I'm not sure about the halfass mainline idea, some of those lower branches seem quite thick so I'm worried they'll take too much before it gets to the upper levels.
Are the points that are putting out lots of growth now likely to be colas? I can't quite get my head around the development of the branch structure, despite reading a lot of articles and grow logs. Maybe I should take some of the lower stuff off now before it takes too many resources?
This is about a month from sprouting, maybe a bit more, does it seem like decent progress? It seems strong to me in terms of how many leaves it's putting out but they all seem a bit small and it almost seems too dense, is that a thing?

Attachments

• crop1.jpg
    crop1.jpg
    913.3 KB · Views: 73
  • crop3.jpg
    crop3.jpg
    677.5 KB · Views: 100
if you want it to be wider (bush like) keep on topping until you have 8 or 16 cola's. Is it a Sativa or Indica? Sativa's stretch a lot, indica's hardly stretch

I did something similar as you for my first grow, and i had the EXACT same confusion about the structure too! I explained it to another guy in the past, let me see if i can find that post to copy paste here lol. I had topped at 5th node and shaved everything below the 4th node, so i basically had 4 nodes to start (the 2 main tops and the set of branches directly below it for 2 more). I then mainlined it. and later topped it all once again to turn those 4 into 8 main cola's and stayed there.

The quickest way to explain the growth is you see how the main cola grows before its topped. It just keeps stretching upwards, adding 2 sets of growth on each side as well as a pair of fan leaves to go with it. What you see first is always the fan leaves and later on when its big enough you can see tiny growth just above the fan leaves. That growth gets bigger and becomes its own branch doing the EXACT same thing as what the main cola is doing, just on a skinnier slower volume.

edit: Cant find that old post, hopefully what i explained helps even if a little!

It's bag seed, probably a sativa leaning hybrid but I'm really not sure. I got some better, feminised seeds since then and those have just popped so they're there as backup if this one is male, if not then I'll give them a quick veg and put them to flower with the main plant. I read your log, that was very interesting and pretty much answered my question since they seemed to do well and you took good pictures of the branch structure, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom