Need Assistance: Visible Cal Mag Excess Signs?

Aroxol

Does anyone have photos of calmag excess/ overfeeding symptoms? I know what the deficiency looks like, but I can’t find pics that highlight what overfeeding might (or does) look like - only that overfeeding will typically result in lockout.

My current plant shows signs of deficiency if I go even 2 full days without adding more cal mag plus, and given she’s only in week 2 flower I expect it to get even worse. Overall plant is what I’d classify as VERY healthy, but seeing spots is annoying. I’m to the point where I’m not measuring CM+ anymore, I’m just adding in ~10-15mL per day into a 8-10G res. Keep in mind that’s in addition to the amount I add during res refills. I’ve never had a plant require/ consume this much supplemental CM, so I’m wondering if there’s any visible signs I can look that indicate she’s getting too much (hasn’t happened yet, but want to have a proactive head start and know what to look for). If there’s a visible sign and it’s not too detrimental to overfeed CM during early flower - I’d almost prefer to take her to the limit and find out what she *can’t handle* so I can feed accordingly during change/ refill and not have to add more every day.

Anyone have photos of CM excess or encountered CM hungry phenos like this - any guidance? Below are two photos (under blue and red) where you can zoom in/ see the signs in different places. Concerning part is some of those signs just showed up today, after I gave her prob 12mL just yesterday... Thanks.

RDWC- Botanicare PBP Base/ CM+
RO’d Water, PH is 5.8 (steady)
WT is 64-65F
VPD is in target range

F01CF82C-E6B0-4E63-83BE-399E31920C1B.jpeg
0E302AA8-1795-49DB-A4F7-AA44A9EC40B9.jpeg

Well your right , The plants look healthy, I don't even see signs of imbalance. But to chat about Calcium, when its weak I usually suspect too high a ph as it causes it to bind phosphorous and inhibit its uptake. But other cations like sodium, magnesium, and potassium will also lower it. If its the only thing weak in the mix the symptoms will be bud rot, blotchy yellowing on the new leaves, tip scorching, and those new leaves will often hook. If calcium is toxic it doesn't hurt anything in itself but will imbalance other cations (wide & varied) into depletion zones, then you have those problems and symptoms. I guess the most important thing to remember with calcium is that it must be in a 3:1 ratio to magnesium ortherwise it will bring on a potassium deficiency. Also to note a ca deficiency can very closely resemble a boron def. and cause a misdiagnosis.

Well your right , The plants look healthy, I don't even see signs of imbalance.

Also to note a ca deficiency can very closely resemble a boron def. and cause a misdiagnosis.

First, thank for the reply, some interesting info there. So to boil it down to brass tax, is your thought there’s no problem right now?

Curious, what strain is it and are there any other nutrients you didn't list? I see the Botanicare is 3-2-4 & the CM+ is 2-0-0 with a 3.2% to 1.2% cal to mag ratio. If the mfg. call for 2 tsp/gal that would be 10ml /gal which would mean your under dosing? Of course that's assuming we are even talking about the same product. More important I would say & do think there is probably room for another 0-10-0 of phosphorous and another 0-0-20 of potassium to really get the most out of the plant. The Nitrogen is dialed in perfect according to studies.

It’s Dr. Krippling Incredible Bulk

Honestly I think the simple answer here is it just needs a lot of calmag. On Leafly the first comment for this strain is Calmag beast with 2-3x stretch. I’m encountering the exact same stats as whoever wrote that, so my guess is we both encountered the same pheno. Appreciate your insight and will update as things progress.

Thanks man, just one and she’s turning into a pretty big girl. While I have you guys here, just scrogged her out and noticed this dried red liquid from where I had cut her while pruning a while back. It 100% looks like dried blood - LOL either the LEDs dried the liquid and changed its color or I may need to build a shrine and call the pope. May have a holy plant on our hands.

85BC2A4A-C395-4778-ABAD-9DA6FB905CFE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom