Need help preparing for an outdoor

Indyca5000

The grow will consist of about 20 plants, all of which have flowering times of 6-8 weeks.

The plants are mostly all clones that are rooted at the moment and could be transplanted at any time.

The transplant will occur approximately 1 week from today.

Flowering should begin naturally around Sept 8th thru 15th bringing it to a close near end october, when nightly temps should be approximately 35-40F. When temps start dropping below 40 is probably when will harvest.

Water-ability is low because the location is fairly remote and it is expensive and time consuming to get to. However, it is extremely secure and faces the sun making it ideal. A soil that is extremely low maintenance is the idea.

As of now am planning to go for 5 gallon buckets using Miracle Gro Moisture Control (coco + moisture control crystals which store + release water), watered that soil only about 7 times across a 4 month period with success. Towards the flowering phase though, is where they aren't getting optimal nutrients. Sprinkling fertilizer over the top of the soil works alright.

In order to create a sort of "reservoir" am thinking of putting each 5 gal in a kitty litter tub type container which can catch a little extra rainwater but also have a couple inches of water put it in at each watering just to provide a little reservoir that will soak up into the pot.

The things could use help with most right now are

1) a soil mixture more effective than miracle gro moisture control w/ coco and moisture control pellets at retaining water for as long as possible

2) a nutrient plan / line / product that will help me achieve optimal results with my restrictions

3) maybe a feed change / schedule that actually helps promote flowering early? beside just light schedule... maybe some way to get flowering at 11 hr nights rather than 12 hr nights without a light cover or moving them. maybe a single 24 hr dark cycle at 11 hr nights would help?

4) some type of insulation so roots do not freeze? decent amount of wind chill here. cloth wrapping? foil? towels? old sheets? maybe going more organic keeps more heat at root level? all about going organic but need to keep a very high level of water retention.

Should add that the soil at ground level is extremely dry detritus type and unless dug over a ft deep and replaced all of it its unusable ground, so pots are going to be ideal. Also if ground level other things like slugs become a problem here.

Why in the hell are you using miracle grow?

lots of ppl have good success with the stuff, i wouldnt recommend it for new growers who have a tendency to over water, and feed,their plants, and overfeed even more from overwatering with it, thats y they get such bad burns with it

1. for soil i use promix, well technically not soil but. anyway i dnt no what to say about water retention, i wish i could remember the name of the stuff, but in another forum it was brought up, the guy mixed this stuff with his soil that helped retain water, ill try to find the answer, but on a side note, coco coir holds a good amount of water
2. nutes. find somthing that isnt way complex, im using botanicare, pro gro, and pro bloom, simple grow for veg, and bloom for bloom. dnt think that the nute company with 30 different bottles sold at crazy high prices are better, so find an easy line up, decide if u want organic or synthetic nutes, and if u go to a hydro shop, dnt let them try to sell u the store bc they do, they will tell u that ur gonna want to get this, and that this is rele popular, but alot of it isnt necessary, keep it as simple as u can
3. u can force flower by covering ur plants for 12 hrs during the day if youd like an early harvest
4. roots freezing isnt an issue u should have to worry about, if it cold enough for ur roots freeze, so will ur plants, if theyre in pots u may have to worry about the sun on hot days heating the pots and the roots, which roots dnt lke heat, which if u rele want can bury the pot partially to keep the roots cool

This suggestion is probably to late for this year, but if this is long term spot i'd think about collecting rain water out there. Some kiddy pools and some barrels. just an idea...

I would go ahead and transplant into a container that would get u thru for tthe next few weeks, then get u some promix to use as a base mix and add some ewc, or make ur own(4parts coco, 2parts EWC, 1part peat, 2 parts (75/25) of perlite/ verm& a lil bit of dolomite lime...its gonna HAVE to be inground because as they get bigger in 5 gal pots even if you water once a day on hot days, they will be wilting by sundown plus on cold nights the ground will be ur insulation & as the roots grow deep they could possibly find their own water.I would even add some polymer crystals just in case...use above mix as top layer, for ur bottom layer, look up the revs 2.0 soil mix,which will take 2 weeks to cook (balance down to a PH of 6.4) which consists of greensand,oyster shells,feather/bone/blood/cottonseed & alfalfa meals plus soft rock phosphate and other rock dusts...for the price you would pay for a good nute line plus all the walking u would do for watering and correct feedings, you could have all the above ingredients to a hassle free grow

Back
Top Bottom