Do I need to transplant because of incorrect soil?

kayciweed

Hi everyone,

Please read fully if you are interested.

I am a first time grower in Au and currently I have seedlings of Durban Poison and Blue Dream.

I did the usual, i germinated in paper towels and after three days transferred to soil. This was on October 30th.

The soil i used was 1/3 Peat Moss, 1/3 Vermiculite and 1/3 plain soil.

The pots i learned later were too big for the seedling stage (according to most people at least), which means i need to really watch watering. I understand that and am studying.

Initially the DP seemed a bit leggy and i had to bury its stem in a bit of extra soil, which sorted it mainly. It has tipped a couple times but a bit more soil each time has helped.

I have been contantly spraying and watering every 3 or so days. I am using no nutrients and ensuring ph is good. They are getting full sun for most of the day.

The issue is, they seem to be growing slow (i think). I understand it could be developing root, but still I feel it might be slower than normal.

After research i started to think that it might be too much water. I ended up getting a moisture meter and it tells me the soil is wet. It really doesn't look that way.

As a result i am slowing down spraying. Remember i am watering at this stage generally every 3 days.

What I am wondering is, can it growing in the current soil mix? Or should i be looking at transplanting? Or should it sit still and just stick to the above plan? I hope this makes sense.

I am worried that i might have a soil that is too wet and in wrong proportions for good growth from here on in. When i made the soil up, i followed advice and it really seemed nice, airy and with good moisture.

Just unsure, maybe a little worried for nothing?

Attachments

• 20191106_175001.jpg
    20191106_175001.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 201
  • 20191106_174951.jpg
    20191106_174951.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 177
In my link below is a thread for watering. It's a must read for new growers. Helps a ton honestly. I wouldn't transplant as those pots look more then fine. I usually start with solo cups then move to 3-5 gallon fabric pots after a few weeks. Good luck. Also it's another suggestion to starts grow journal. It allows you to keep notes and let's others follow along

You'll find lots of good information for soil growing in Emilya's current journal. Her paper, 'The Proper Way to Water a Potted Plant' is considered a must read for soil growing.

Edit: You can try transplanting, but you risk damaging the tap root. If you can locate a thin wall tube or pipe 3-4" (7.5 - 10cm) in diameter, you can try pushing it down into the soil with the plant centered in it. This will establish a smaller root zone for your seedlings.

In my link below is a thread for watering. It's a must read for new growers. Helps a ton honestly. I wouldn't transplant as those pots look more then fine. I usually start with solo cups then move to 3-5 gallon fabric pots after a few weeks. Good luck. Also it's another suggestion to starts grow journal. It allows you to keep notes and let's others follow along

Thanks. I will have a read of it and in the meantime give less water. I am the soil mix i prepared will do the job till they are over a foot in height?

Appreciate your reply.

*I am hoping thensoil mix prepared....
It's hard to judge where the plant will be when it comes to that. I don't judge the height in veg. I normally veg 4-6 weeks then flip my lights. I then measure the plant and times it by 3 to get a decent idea of how big theyll be when they start their flowering stretch.

It's hard to judge where the plant will be when it comes to that. I don't judge the height in veg. I normally veg 4-6 weeks then flip my lights. I then measure the plant and times it by 3 to get a decent idea of how big theyll be when they start their flowering stretch.

Appreciate that. I will keep in mind.

What i am really trying to figure out is if my spil base for this is okay? I read that vermiculite may hold too much water and I know peat moss could also. I read that is should be 1/3 of each, which i did, but after moisture testing it comes up wet. It doesn't really look wet but that is what the tester says when i placr prongs in deep.

I will ensure i water less now and properly, but more than anything I want to ensure soil it okay.

Appreciate that. I will keep in mind.

What i am really trying to figure out is if my spil base for this is okay? I read that vermiculite may hold too much water and I know peat moss could also. I read that is should be 1/3 of each, which i did, but after moisture testing it comes up wet. It doesn't really look wet but that is what the tester says when i placr prongs in deep.

I will ensure i water less now and properly, but more than anything I want to ensure soil it okay.
that's one I can't really help with. I grow strictly using Fox Farm soil and their trio of nutes. Give it a lottle little bit and other members will be along to help out more.

Look into Mega Crop. It's the lowest cost 'designed for cannabis' fertilizer on the market. It can be used with any medium. I don't recommend using it with any soils that have had any other fertilizers added to it. You can visit The Mega Crop Thread for more information. A free 500gm sample is available, but you pay the shipping. I found it's better to just buy the 2.5Kg bag through Amazon. You get five times the product for twice the price.

Look into Mega Crop. It's the lowest cost 'designed for cannabis' fertilizer on the market. It can be used with any medium. I don't recommend using it with any soils that have had any other fertilizers added to it. You can visit The Mega Crop Thread for more information. A free 500gm sample is available, but you pay the shipping. I found it's better to just buy the 2.5Kg bag through Amazon. You get five times the product for twice the price.
I will take your advice. I am in Australia and been looking at Charlies Carp or Powerfeed in the red bottle.

The pots i learned later were too big which means i need to really watch watering.
Bigger pots mean bigger plants, so really no such thing as "too big"...I'd even add more quality compost and fill that pot to the brim in a month (and, yes, fabric pots are best). Watering is simple...give that pot a liter or so of water every 3 days, but apply it to the soil along the edge of the pot. The plant will reach for what it needs and you won't have to worry about using moisture meters. At this stage the plant is developing roots so it looks like it is no growing (but it is :cheesygrinsmiley: ). Every 3 days (or 2x a week) is a good watering schedule for all soil plants in veg (just increase the volume of water as the plants grow).

:goodluck:

Bigger pots mean bigger plants, so really no such thing as "too big"...I'd even add more quality compost and fill that pot to the brim in a month (and, yes, fabric pots are best). Watering is simple...give that pot a liter or so of water every 3 days, but apply it to the soil along the edge of the pot. The plant will reach for what it needs and you won't have to worry about using moisture meters. At this stage the plant is developing roots so it looks like it is no growing (but it is :cheesygrinsmiley: ). Every 3 days (or 2x a week) is a good watering schedule for all soil plants in veg (just increase the volume of water as the plants grow).

:goodluck:

Thanks. Think my soil medium is ok?

The soil i used was 1/3 Peat Moss, 1/3 Vermiculite and 1/3 plain soil.
We could call this the Holy Trinity of Soil. It is the basic recipe for potting soil mixes. Professional or hobby gardeners, especially those who have to, or want to, grow in pots start off with those three ingredients. Sometimes they will add something to help feed the plant and sometimes they do not.

This is just like cooks, either pro or household, will start with a Holy Trinity of vegetables & spices for what they are planning on cooking. Sometimes, once they have their trinity in the pan they might add another spice or they might not.

The pots i learned later were too big for the seedling stage (according to most people at least), which means i need to really watch watering. I understand that and am studying.
......... <and this paragraph>.....
What I am wondering is, can it growing in the current soil mix? Or should i be looking at transplanting? Or should it sit still and just stick to the above plan? I hope this makes sense.
This is your first marijuana grow so don't over think it. I noticed that you, or someone else in the house, has other plants growing. They look like some sort of house plant or maybe a vegetable. The way I see it, the size of the pot is just right. With that soil mix you could conceivably grow the plant to harvest in that pot. It might not be as big as you want or produce as much as you want, but it would be simple to get your feet wet without any major loss. The next time around you will have the experience from this grow and it can only get better.

Instead of ordering anything right now, spend the time watching what these plants do. If you feel that they need help, then in about a month or 6 weeks you can consider a bit of top dressing with some natural material (compost, earthworm castings, Kelp meal, etc) or watering every now and then with a home made tea.

Just unsure, maybe a little worried for nothing?
Don't panic at every little thing. Even if it looks like the plant is dying, learn from the experience. Just watching it the way it grows can teach us a lot. In my two plus years of growing this plant indoors and a bit outdoors I have not had a panic attack but I certainly had been over thinking some of my growing methods ;) which can be just as bad or worse.

It is all good, your plants look good. Remember you just put them in the soil. Enjoy....

We could call this the Holy Trinity of Soil. It is the basic recipe for potting soil mixes. Professional or hobby gardeners, especially those who have to, or want to, grow in pots start off with those three ingredients. Sometimes they will add something to help feed the plant and sometimes they do not.

This is just like cooks, either pro or household, will start with a Holy Trinity of vegetables & spices for what they are planning on cooking. Sometimes, once they have their trinity in the pan they might add another spice or they might not.

This is your first marijuana grow so don't over think it. I noticed that you, or someone else in the house, has other plants growing. They look like some sort of house plant or maybe a vegetable. The way I see it, the size of the pot is just right. With that soil mix you could conceivably grow the plant to harvest in that pot. It might not be as big as you want or produce as much as you want, but it would be simple to get your feet wet without any major loss. The next time around you will have the experience from this grow and it can only get better.

Instead of ordering anything right now, spend the time watching what these plants do. If you feel that they need help, then in about a month or 6 weeks you can consider a bit of top dressing with some natural material (compost, earthworm castings, Kelp meal, etc) or watering every now and then with a home made tea.

Don't panic at every little thing. Even if it looks like the plant is dying, learn from the experience. Just watching it the way it grows can teach us a lot. In my two plus years of growing this plant indoors and a bit outdoors I have not had a panic attack but I certainly had been over thinking some of my growing methods ;) which can be just as bad or worse.

It is all good, your plants look good. Remember you just put them in the soil. Enjoy....
Thank you

I'm a bit late to chime in and it looks like you have all the information you need! @SmokingWings is right, the plants will let you know if they're going under and with the expertise in the field of cannabis cultivation that you'll find here, all you have to do is ask!

If it makes you feel a bit better, I lost count of the plants I went through before I got one right! And I tell people all the time! Persistence is key; try again.

Nonetheless (s)he's looking good and I'm sure she would've grown by now. Though about starting a journal? I'm sure I;m not the only one who'd like to see how things go!

Anyway, good luck and stress less! :meditate:

Back
Top Bottom