Need help with setting up ventilation and light cooling. Frustrated (My own case)

iDatsyuk

Things I have for ventilation...

4 x 7 x 7 tent

8" Heavy Duty Carbon Filter (Thing is way too heavy to hang. Definitely a stand up. Trying to avoid it being in the tent. I mean, this thing is 40" tall and 14" wide. Heavy!)

8" Vortex 747 CFM Powerfan

8" insulated flexible ducting

8" Air Cooled XXXL Magnum Reflectors w/ ballast and 1000 HPS bulb (x2)

For now the items listed above are the things I currently have and am trying to work with.
To my understanding, with a 747 CFM fan, I am able to push or pull(depending on what you recommend) enough of the air to replace it as recommended by all growers.

I tried leaving one of the 8" reflector lights open on one end, then connected in the middle to another 8" reflector light and then ducting it out of the tent into the 8" inline fan that is sitting right on top of the carbon filter. I have ducting going out of the bottom of the 8" hole in the tent, into the register on my floor pulling cold air from the basement into the tent(no fan, kind of depending on the only fan, but feel that I may need another fan to help push air in). It is at 93 degrees in the tent after leaving it on for 2 hours. I was thinking that if I bought another fan and had it help pull air from the basement into the tent that I would be good? But then what about being sure the air is clean enough? Will the carbon filter and 8" fan outside of the tent be doing what it is meant for?

Any ideas? What more should I buy? What should I change? I don't mind spending more on a few things if need be. Although, I know I am very close to completing the air exchange and temperature control in the tent.

All advice will be appreciate it. Effort means more than results in most cases, other than growing stuff!

I am aware that my post is very common. I just think that every case is unique and needs specific advisory.

Thank you!!

:thumb: :420: :thanks:

Yes, I realize I didn't make that clear. The carbon filter and tent are in the same room, but the carbon filter is outside of the tent.

There is a hole in the floor that I use to get air from the basement. I have 8" duct going from that to the bottom of the tent. No fan though.

So I was thinking this...

Put the carbon filter/inline fan combo in the back middle of the tent standing up, pulling air into the filter, through the lights, out of the tent and into the basement(wouldn't mind it running into the basement considering no one ever enters the area the old air will end up). Also having another duct piece running from the second hole in the floor(a different room in the basement so it won't pull up the same air I just sent down) That is where I feel like I would need a second fan. To pull air out of the basement, into the room or tent so there is enough air to go around.

Going off what I told you, how would you set it up having the things that I have? If you say what I have is enough... unless you think my second fan idea isn't bad?

I think your original set up is fine, but you would need a fan pulling (or pushing) air from the basement into the tent. If you are worried about the cleanliness of the fan, then just get a basic hepa filter and put it in the register box so basement air is filtered before entering the tent. Your exhaust sounds fine with one hood open, connected to the other, and then out through the carbon filter.

hi iDatsyuk,Your fan that is rated for 747 cfm if hooked to 8" duct willonly move @ 200cfm @.5" of static presssure + or - of air (the physical limitof 8" duct) to actually have it operate at full capacity (747cfm) you would be looking at something like 14 or 16" round duct (way to big for your tent) the velocity and static pressurelimit what your fan can move thru a given duct size. I am running a 450 cfm fan with 6 " duct in an area of 7x3 (approx. exhaust 120 cfm) and I have no problem with any smells.
I also have a passive intake (no fan) and it is all you need, the act of reoving air from the tent creates a negative pressure that wil suckair into the tent.
I would definatly move the filter into the tent. First comes lights then filter then fan then out.
Hope thiis makes sense, if not pm me and I can provide a detailed sketch to help you visualize it.
Best of Luck

hi iDatsyuk,Your fan that is rated for 747 cfm if hooked to 8" duct willonly move @ 200cfm @.5" of static presssure + or - of air (the physical limitof 8" duct) to actually have it operate at full capacity (747cfm) you would be looking at something like 14 or 16" round duct (way to big for your tent) the velocity and static pressurelimit what your fan can move thru a given duct size. I am running a 450 cfm fan with 6 " duct in an area of 7x3 (approx. exhaust 120 cfm) and I have no problem with any smells.
I also have a passive intake (no fan) and it is all you need, the act of reoving air from the tent creates a negative pressure that wil suckair into the tent.
I would definatly move the filter into the tent. First comes lights then filter then fan then out.
Hope thiis makes sense, if not pm me and I can provide a detailed sketch to help you visualize it.
Best of Luck

Go with this!

I cant see how the setup can work right, he is not really venting the heat anywhere he is just recirculating the air through the tent and back in the room, and if he doesn't remove enough air from the ambient room even with a fan pushing air in there will be very little airflow.

Since the filter is so big you could put them in the basement. Attach fan to filter and put them in the basement, run a duct from the top of the tent, through the lights, to the fan and then push through the filter into the basement and let the tent get its air from the room passively. Two 1K lights put aout a fair amount of heat and humidity you may have to find a way to vent outside.

Right on UltraDan. Thanks.

Rubby813, I can't send you a PM until I have 50 post haha!

Thanks a lot for the information. It definitely helped. Although I am confused about something. You said "First comes lights then filter then fan then out." That to me sounds like you are telling me I should, bring air in through the lights first(but with duct running from outside of the tent?), into the filter, then the fan(pulling), then out. So the fan will be pulling air in from one side of the filter and pushing it out of the other side of the filter where the fan is attached, then out of the tent?

I may of made things seem even more confusing or maybe I just don't quite follow exactly what you're trying to explain. Could you please provide that detailed sketch you mentioned? I swear I can understand things, but I just wanna be exactly sure I am on the right page. Too much money invested to be thinking it's as easy as saying "Ahh, I got this."

Thank you to who ever else has tried to help.

Thanks Alienpus. That to me sounds like the easiest way. The only two things, first, I was just trying to stay away from having the fan and filter in the basement due to noise. I sleep in the basement, in a room separated by sheets. Ill just put a wall up sometime this week and insulate it well if it calls for it. Second, I know the pulling of air could cause the tent to suck in a little. Those two things are fine though, as long as it is the best option. I don't see a 4x7 tent that is sucked in a little from pressure cause me to lose much space for growing. Maybe with all of the passive intakes open, I won't have a problem. I'll have to attempt that tonight.

iDatsyuk,
I will try to explain better.
First you have the lights, one end of light 1 is connected to end of light 2 (one end of light 1 is open to tent )then opposite end of light 2 is connected to the filter, these connections can be made with flex. duct such as dryer vent duct ( filter in tent so that all air removed by fan is exhausted out of tent is from inside the tent and 100% filtered, air that is removed from tent is replaced by passive intakes with fresh air (air changes per hour) thus relieving negative pressure, supplying fresh (cooler) air from the vent in floor and bringing cooler air in and thru lights) if tent is being sucked in you do not have enough passive intake, or add a fan speed controller to slow down airflow to match intake).
Is this a better explanation for you? If not let me know. We will figure it out.

If you enclose your filter in a box then you could leave it in the room next to the tent while still venting out of the room. Ideally you would place your filter in the top of tent and suck through it but since yours would be on the floor next to you intakes it would not be efficient at removing the heat and humidity accumulating in the top of the tent.

Personally when I install external filters or like the box in my journal, I attach the fan to the filter and enclose them in a plywood box, so I can control exactly where it draws air. Here's a little pic of what I mean, and what Paka did:

Multi Tent Scrub Box How To: multiple tents with one fan and one carbon filter

New_Bitmap_Image1.jpg

Wow, great idea. I will have to build that box. That is perfect! This may seem dumb of me to ask, but I just have to be 100% clear. Where it says "duct to high point in tent", that means just have duct connected to the light and the other end of the duct up toward the top of the tent (because most of the heat will be up there) so that when the fan pulls into the filter, it is removing that air from the tent. Because when I look at that, I could easily confuse it with thinking that "duct to high point in tent" means, duct connected to light and connected to the hole in the tent. Which to me would NOT make sense, considering we are trying to REMOVE the air. So, I was right with the first part, correct?

Wow, great idea. I will have to build that box. That is perfect! This may seem dumb of me to ask, but I just have to be 100% clear. Where it says "duct to high point in tent", that means just have duct connected to the light and the other end of the duct up toward the top of the tent (because most of the heat will be up there) so that when the fan pulls into the filter, it is removing that air from the tent. Because when I look at that, I could easily confuse it with thinking that "duct to high point in tent" means, duct connected to light and connected to the hole in the tent. Which to me would NOT make sense, considering we are trying to REMOVE the air. So, I was right with the first part, correct?

exactly, it's to draw the air at the highest point inside the tent. You may want to get a speed controller at some point for your fan to reduce noise.

Right on man. You were great help. You too Rubby813. Thank you for supporting opinions UltraDan. I appreciate all the advice. I'm gonna take a shot at that set-up.

I have another thread I started. I figured that my tent and your plywood box idea was such a great idea, would I possibly be able to just expand the operation into the entire room? So I made a thread explaining everything. The help you gave was enough to say that we can leave to someone else to explain, that's cool with me. I love learning about this!

Can't decide if I need t use the whole room or my tent - Plant count and 2000 watts

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom