mcadamjw

Grow Tent - Yield Lab 4x4x6.5
Lighting - 600 Watt Air Cooled Hood
2 6in 440 CFM Inline Fans
1 6in Blower
1 Osculating Fan
2 Small Clip on Fans
1 small floor fan

My temps are around 86F and I dont know why. If I have an air cooled hood and 2 Inline fans why so much heat. This morning outside my house it was 68F so not hot at all and my tent was 86. I have pics but will attempt to explain my set up.

Going from left to right
Ducting>Light>ducting>6in Inline Fan pulling air through. Ducting leading out through another window.

My thought here is ducting pulling cool air from window and pulling hot air from light through ducting leading out window.

At the top of the tent is carbon air filter hooked up to another exhaust fan.

Carbon Filter>ducting out top(white ducting in pic)>6in inline Fan>ducting outside window
My thought here is the air will get scrubbed and hot air is pulled out the tent leading to ducting and forcing hot air outside.

At the bottom of the tent is the green fan which is a 6in blower that is connected to ducting at bottom of the tent and pushing air in.

The room the tent is in is like a basement with 4 little windows that are always open just screens on them. This room is normally cool itself. When I walked into this basement area air was very warm even though only 68 outside the home. I dont know if Im pulling the heat out and forcing it back in. I am so lost here looked at tons of set ups have been through 4 boxes of ducting and just tired of doing this over and over and still messing things up. I am running out of money here and dont really think I need a A/C for my set up I feel its just a user error and considering this is my first grow my first tent I really feel its me.

Can someone please help me I have looked all over this topic and I thought my set up was done correctly based off my reading but clearly the results show me otherwise. I have listed pics to show you my set up please ask any questions really looking for some help here. I am worried that when the temp rises outside which its going to 90 today that my plants are going to burn.

Any help is appreciated. I have not had much luck with getting questions answered but really hope someone will assist me. Thanks in advance.
Pics below

When I walked into this basement area air was very warm even though only 68 outside the home. I dont know if Im pulling the heat out and forcing it back in.
Pics below

Can't see any pics.

I am so lost here looked at tons of set ups have been through 4 boxes of ducting and just tired of doing this over and over and still messing things up.

The more length of ducting you connect to the fan, the less efficient it becomes. Duct runs should be as short as feasibly possible, with minimal amount of turns, elbows, etc.

Also, if the room/space is small and there's no "make-up" air to account for the air that's being exhausted, you could possibly be choking off the exhaust to a certain extent.

IMG_162415.JPG

View image in gallery

You posted pictures while I was typing...

I am not sure that I understand your setup very well yet... but I will attempt to help.

I agree, with your setup you should not be having heat issues. A 600 watt light should raise the temperature about 10-20 degrees F. if left unvented. Essentially, this means that you are recycling the hot air coming out of your tent right back into the tent in some way.

What I would do is take the ducting that you have and ensure that you are dumping the hot air outside using one of the windows. I would seal that window so there was no way that the hot air could turn around and come right back into the room. Ensure that both fans are vented outdoors. This means that all the heat from the tent is outside - it can no longer be recycled back into the grow tent.

Another tip is that I would re-organize the fan on the light. If I read correctly, your fan is on the exhaust side of the light - it needs to be on the intake side of the light pushing air. The reason for this is that you are pulling hot air through the fan motor... and the motor theoretically won't last as long. If you push the air through the light, then you are only exposing the fan motor to (relatively) cooler air.

I would also switch to a passive vent on the floor. You want to achieve a negative pressure inside of the tent to ensure that no smell can escape. A passive intake will ensure that this is the case and will save you a little on the electricity bill.

when I put my hand by the exhaust that is pushing air from the light the air is warm but on my other exhaust (white ducting) that is pulling through the filter and exhausting from top of the tent, this air actually feels cool. The tent has negative pressure walls are sucking in. I wonder if my blower fan the green fan in the pic is just blowing warm air into the bottom of the tent. I just dont get what I am doing wrong. I cant imagine with a 600 Watt air cooled hood and 2 exhaust fans and a blower and several fans inside that my temp should be this warm. PLEASE HELP. The bottom pic is the ducting that I am trying to use to pull cool air in from outside. This is running into the tent connected to the light. On the opposite side of the light is more ducting leading outside the tent to one exhaust fan. On the opposite end of the fan is more ducting running to another window. I feel the hot air coming out of here and ducting is warm. The second to last pic is hooked up to the filter and running out the top of the tent down the back of the tent into another 440cfm fan that has more ducting leading to the same window as the ducting exhausting the heat from the light. Does this seem correct?

Greatlife4all- Thanks for the reply I will switch the one fan to the other side and push air through the lights. Do you think this will cool everything down. I was trying to tape the ducting just below the window so you couldnt see it as you walked pass the outside of window but I guess I will need to just put the ducting up in the window completely. I do know the outside of the tent should be much cooler in that room so my feeling is yes I am creating this heat but wondering how is it getting back inside the tent. When you say create passive intake is that basically just opening one of the bottom opening of the tent and leaving it open while the other fans are pulling the air through? Sorry I am a total newbie and I have learned a lot considering where I have started but this is the one piece I just cant seem to get. I dont know if the photos help but let me know if I need to explain more or what else I can do.

dray86man - Thats what I am currently doing running the exhaust from the hood to the exhaust fan and out the window but only half way out the window. I dont have the end of the duct completely in the window so everyone cant see the ducting

I moved the fan that is cooling my lights to the intake side of the tent and now I am pushing air across the lights through ducting that leads out to the window. I still have the 6in blower fan hooked up to some ducting and pushing air into the tent. I also have the other Inline Fan (440CFM) outside the tent with ducting connected inside the tent to the filter running out to the fan and I am also pulling the air outside via another duct. When I say outside as you can see the ducting is in the same room just taped up near the window so I know some heat is still being pushed back into the basement area because its still warm down here and both exhaust ducts are near the window. I have negative pressure so I know the exhaust fan is pulling well because the walls are being sucked in. What else could I be doing wrong. I also only have the ballast tuned to 75% instead of 100 so I guess it would be hotter if it was at 100% this is crazy PLEASE EXPERTS

Might be some thing to with external air temperature which you are trying to use to cool the grow tent with :thumb:

If you lights on period runs with day light hours then day time temps are higher naturally this effects the abilitie to cool ones environment slightly.

Where as night time temps are lower so the cooling of grow area is greatly improved, so your lights on period should be with in the real life night time for better temp control.

It looks like your exhaust line isn't fully sealed going out of the room that the grow tent is in. What's likely happening is that your exhausting heat outside the tent and it's being pulled back inside the tent.

What are the temps of the room that the grow tent is in? Can you seal it going out the window better? Also the more you can shorten or get rid of sharp turns in the ducting the more effective the equipment will work.

Thanks Fuzzy and JJ - I think you both are on to something here. I think it must be my exhaust I guess I thought if the tent was sealed that it wouldnt come back into the tent but I guess if its hot around the tent then obviously it will be hot inside. I guess the good news is I am just starting Veg and think they can manage around 82 and when it comes to flower time hopefully temps here wont be so bad. I have my lights shutting off at 12PM - 6PM the hottest point so hopefully with the advice of greatadvice4all, JJ, drayman and fuzzy I am able to fix some of this issue. I have secured more of the ducting in the window and not hanging near the Window I also switched my fan that is cooling the light to the intake side. I was able to remove a section of ducting as a result of moving the fan to the other side and ran the duct directly coming from light and have that secured in the window. Lights are off now for nap time but will see at 6 when the room had a chance to cool outside the tent and inside the tent if my temps still get this high. I do have negative pressure almost too much if there is such a thing thought my tent was going to have the walls sucked in. I added that intake fan to help regulate some of that pressure as I thought it was really going to pull the tent down. Even with blower fan pushing air in that exhaust fan is pulling very hard and sucking the walls in. I put that exhaust fan on a speed controller and have it down to Medium as the high was sucking in too much for my liking. Thanks to all of you for you help I will keep you posted. Thinking of starting a grow journal and hope that you guys that have commented and really tried to help me join me when I start my journal. This is my very first grow so it should be a bumpy yet fun ride. Just picked up the Cannibus grow bible and Im going to do some learning. I did make one pretty big mistake already kinda funny to me. I took the time to label each seed I planted as i ordered them online and are viable seeds but when I transplanted I didnt pay attention to where I had pulled them from and next thing everything was planted and I didnt remember which plant went into which bucket. I know the strains that i have but the fun part will be figuring them out once they are grown but I will have fun smoking them and figuring out anyway so thanks again.

Do you need the tent? Can u grow without it? If the room is 68 n the tent isnt really needed then i would remove the tent.

If u need the tent: try to make all ur ducting to be straight as possible. Make air flow in coming in the bottom of the tent and air flow out coming out the top of tent. Can u run the lights at night?

??? Anyone HELP PLEASE

I think your problem is that you are limiting the amount of air that can move through your tent. Open some more holes until you can just feel the air moving inside the tent. If the walls are sucking in then you can definitely open more intake holes... passive of course.

:)

I believe this is a supreme case of k.i.s.s. look at all the gear you have running there all that electronic equipment creates heat a simple gentle breeze at canopy level from one fan id be going filter> fan> duct> light> duct> outsidse, passive intake ducted (a large one) or simple open vent intake. Try to remove anything that is creating heat within your tent extra fans ballasts etc Just my 2c
edit those fans at the top are blowing hot air down.

Thank you all who have took the time and offered me assistance as it was greatly appreciated. I am very happy to say after hooking the ducting into the window more I lost my stealth but Im in Cali and need for medical purpose so Im good on that level just didnt want nosey neighbors in my business but its all as this was the solution to the problem. I moved my fan that was sucking through the lights and moved it to push the air through and out the duct. I was able to cut off half of the ducting and lead directly to the window. After these steps I checked my temp this morning and we were at 75.8 with 50% humidity so I think I am good to go. Thanks again to everyone. I hope you all can join me through my grow once I go read the thread on starting my grow journal. Thanks again!!!

SWvoodoo - I think I am going to remove the two fans at top anyway as you raise a good point. Although I have my temps correct now if I dont need and although minor why add the electrical bill if its not helping me even if its only a $1 month if it doesnt help it can go. I didn't want to put the fan on my filter as the fan has some good weight and Im just not comfortable hanging any additional weight. It might support it but just because I have question on whether it will or wont I just left it outside of the tent. My preference would be to have it inside so its not as loud. I can hear it slightly outside when I walk pass the window but with peoples AC compressors going it just kinda blends in. I checked out the sound this morning when I knew people wouldnt have the AC running and it wasnt noticeable. The only that I did notice was the plants outside of this window since its at ground level I could see my exhaust air moving them around a good deal and if i got close enough I could feel the air. I hope that the carbon filter works when they get a little bigger or some of my neighbors are in for a real treat.

Back
Top Bottom