New Layout Options with Pic, Question about Ventilation

upinvapor

Hey all,

I have been designing a grow box for the last week or so and have come up with an improved design that I want to run by everyone. I have a spare bedroom with a closet that is 5' x 4.5' x 9'.

Here is my design layout:

Box_Plans_1_1.jpg

The one on the left was my first draft of this version, but I then thought about needing room in the closet to move around in while tending the garden so I came up with the layout on the right in the picture. I think this may be the best layout for me based on the space. I have a 400W HPS that I got from HTG Supply - High Tech Garden Supply that will be used as the main light for the flowering chamber. I am going to keep the ballast outside the box with a small powered fan blowing air on it to keep it cool to help preserve it or I may even aim the exhaust at it to kill two birds with one stone. I will also be running a good number of both spectrums of the 42w CFLs in the flowering area as well. The vegetative chamber will only use CFLs. Can I use the veg chamber for both mothers and clones? My original design had a separate area for mothers and clones but I had to cut that extra bit out for space needs. I am only growing enough for my own personal use so I only need to flower 3-4 plants at a time. I only want to keep about 2 mothers and I figure would only need a few clones to be able to flower 3-4 at a time.

As far as ventilation is concerned, I was originally going to use 3 of these 120mm 90CFM PC Fans - Silenx IXP7618 iXtrema Pro Fan - 120mm x 38mm, 18dBA, 90CFM at TigerDirect.com hooked to this controller to power and adjust speeds - Silenx IXAFCEX Four Channel External Fan Controller at TigerDirect.com . I also needed something to use with the cool tube so I then thought I have the $40 Stanley Blower fan that many have come up with mods for grow room applications. I have the regular hood with the HPS and have been told I should get a cool tube( High Tech Garden Supply ) or air cooled hood ( High Tech Garden Supply ). Should I try converting the hood that I got with the light in that link(hood is shown on HTG page) to be air cooled(cutting a 6" hole in one end for ducting and pull air up through the opening under bulb). I can buy a cool tube if that is recommended. I want to be able to put the light as close as possible to the plants to maximize yield. I was thinking of using the stanley blower to vent both the cool tube and the flowering chamber. I am thinking of venting the vegetative chamber into the flowering chamber and then exhausting from there. I would be hooking the Stanley Blower intake side to a Y 6" duct splitter and have 6" ducting running from one side of the splitter to pull air through the air cooled hood/cool tube and the other side of the splitter would run duct to the flower chamber to pull air from out of there. I will be using (2) 12" x 10" white return grills as passive intakes in the flowering chamber and a smaller one in the veg chamber since I will only be using CFLs in there and there will not be much heat. I was worried the Stanley Blower would be too strong for my area, which is why I branched it out and pulled both the hood cooling and the room exhaust both into the intake on the Stanley Blower. I was also thinking of putting a DIY Carbon Filter on the blower side of the blower.

So, now that the novel is done I was hoping to get people's opinions on if I have good plans with this or anything I should change. I want to start the seedlings soon and this is my first grow so I want to get it done right before starting. Is the Stanley too strong for my space? I would be running it on the low setting. Should I also put the speed controlled PC fans high on the wall in the flowering chamber also for extra controllable venting to be in addition to the stanley exhaust? Or, should I just cool the cool tube with the stanley and put a filter in too and use the PC fans for the main exhaust for the chamber... I imagine with that strong blower pulling air over the 400W there will not be a whole lot of heat? Is my vegetative chamber big enough? Any help would be much appreciated.

damn dude. do you think you wrote enough?

I like your first layout that you did. It seems more practical than your second one.

Yes you can use the veg chamber for both mothers and clones.

Id go with the cool tube and the stanley pushing it.

Yes you can use large 100+ CFM computer fans as your main exhaust for that size of grow space

I as well started with the 400W HPS that I got from HTG Supply and yielded 4oz and that was cut short of its full potential.

Good luck with the grow:ganjamon:

Experience has always proven to be the best teacher, and opinions are like you know what...everybody has one. Here's mine. The fan controller is a moot issue-you'll be running full blast with that 400 watt mini sun, and I doubt your pancake fans are going to provide enough airflow, least of all they weren't for me. I ended up going with a passive system aided with 2 active fans. Your Stanley blower might be your only saving grace. Id use it to draw air OUT of your cabinet then have passive air inlets. Where are you exhausting to? The attic? If you can harness the heat from the light and get in outside fast your 80% there. I like the idea on the first drawing cuz I don't really care about the empty space. Real estate is a luxury you and I cant afford. I don't look at it in sq ft. I look at it in sq inches.. I think your right on with the 400. Invest in a glass hood. I even placed a thermal blanket over the light hood-makes a HUGE difference. As far as when things get smelly, I don't know how your going filter unless you find a way to use your Stanely as a supply outside the cabinet pulling air PASSIVELY through your closet. If so, I can show you how to equip a box to allow a charcoal canister to properly operate. Good rule of thumb on a passive setup is 3-4 times the amount of return in cfm as you have in supply. Here's a pic of my latest mod. I knocked down another 7 deg in just directing WHERE to remove the heat in the cab.
DSCF8391.JPG

I'll be following your progress and wish you great success on your grow!

Back
Top Bottom