New system after pythium root rot?

uk grower1

Hi all I'll start from the beginning...

Last year I brought myself a rdwc system with cooler after being in coco for many years. First grow went great, but after my first run I didn't clean the system so had some old roots still in the net pots but I went ahead and put new plants in. Silly mistake!

Plants started growing great but when they got to a foot high I started to see roots turning brown... Went to my local shop were I was sold some tablets that you drop in the system to 'hopefully' kill the pythium. Before I put the tablets in I drained the system cleaned everything with h2o2, cut dead brown roots off and sprayed with h2o2.

Once I refilled dropped the tablets in new roots started growing, then few days later then turned brown again! So cut a long story short I battled for about 2 months trying every treatment known to man, I was even running bleach in the system with the plants still in the system. Bleach was kind of the only thing to sort of help, but it still never went away!

So after about 2 months of trying I gave up unplumbed the system put it away and went back to coco.

I've just finished my run in coco so I thought I'd give the system 1 more chance before I put the lot in the bin!
I was told that once pythium is in a system you will never get rid of it, is this true?
I have replaced my buckets, air stones, all pipes and connectors. I've not replaced cooler, air pump and my 400L rezzy tank.

As I write this iv got a strong solution of h2o2 circulating in the system (no plants in the system) I cleaned everything in my bath with bleachy water, I have cleaned all the grow area, put new floor covering down and sprayed bleach everywhere!

I'm really hoping this will do the trick but the reason I'm writing this is to ask if anyone as had these problem and got rid of it without replacing the whole system???

Still not put any plants in yet but circulating bleach in the system now. Going to drain today and rinse out then fill with fresh water and get the clones in. Wish me luck!

Hi uk grower!

I tried DWC for my second grow and also got root rot. I had a hard time battling it and almost gave up, but eventually ended up going back to Coco and my plants are back on track and thriving now, documented in my current journal. I've also read it can be next to impossible to get rid of the stuff, especially in an (R)DWC system.

You mentioned you grew in Coco for many years, presumably with decent results. If so, I'm curious why you would switch to a system that involves so many more moving parts and accessories? I'm genuinely curious, because I thought DWC would be a cool way to grow after reading that it has bigger yields and faster veg growth, but at least in my experience, it wasn't worth the extra effort and expense. I'd be very interested in hearing your motivations for trying an RDWC setup. Is there anything about growing in Coco that you didn't like?

:thanks:

Alright mate

I thought I'd try rdwc because of all the positives I hear about it, bigger yields and faster growing plants. I like how you can go away for a week and not have to rely on someone to water my plants.

Like I said above first time went fine. when I first set it up I didn't have a cooler but the water temps was getting to high so I brought a cooler and had no problems with my first run. My results was the same as coco, think it was around 4.8oz per plant. To pull the same as coco for my first go I thought was good as I was new to hydro, was hoping to do better but things went bad!

It's setup and running again now so I'm hoping nothing goes wrong! Link to my journal :) 2 D-Papillon 315W vs 2 600W HPS - RDWC - Grow

I have to fill it everyday and it brings the humidity up from about 25/30% to around 50%. If my fans wasn't running at full speed I think it would bring it up higher...
It's from a place called maplins and this is the details from their site

Product details

5 Litre Digital Humidifier

• Increase and regulate the relative humidity in your home
• Digital display with on/off, mist, humidistat and ioniser functions
• In built timer from 1 to 24 hours with preset capability
• Efficient humidification with large output and low energy consumption
• Safe to use, the LED light will illuminate and the machine will stop when the water tank is empty

This 5 litre digital humidifier uses an ultrasonic high-frequency oscillator to turn water from the tank into tiny particles. By doing this, it restores the relative humidity levels, particularly in rooms where air conditioning or central heating has made the air overly dry. The benefits of correct air humidity are wide ranging and can alleviate a number of health problems including dry eyes, sinus problems, sore throats and dry mouth.

The digital display offers a variety of humidifying functions and the in-built timer and preset capability ensure that your home is always set to your preferred level of humidity.

:thumb:

I had root rot really bad in my DWC setup. I tried everything and it keep coming back.

Until I tied z7 water treatment after that day no more root rot and my buckets stay spotlessly clean and it also helps to hold the PH.

I don't know if it will work for you the same way.

It sure changed things for me. I have bad tap water that comes from a lake and brings bad things with it.

I have not been payed by them or even know them...

Sounds good stuff but can't get it in the UK. I've got white algae slime just starting so got some Dutch master zone to hopefully sort the problem!

Back
Top Bottom