Newbee Needs some help - HPS Light heating room to 88 degrees

malinjj

Hi All..

This is my first grow. I bought a used HPS light on "cheapbay" and it came with bulbs. I don't know what watt they are though. Well I'm using a 10' x 13" room and the 1 light gets the room to 88-92 degrees and my DWC is in the mid 80's. Are these lights suppose to get this hot or did I buy a POS?

Thanks in advance...

Joe

what is the wattage on the ballast? there should be markings on the bulbs but new bulbs would be a good idea...you should have fresh air in and good venting to get the heat down.
You'll soon find out that going "cheap" can be very costly.

The ballast is for 1000W MH. I just changed it to a 250W MH and the heat dropped big time. It also looks just as bright as the other one. Now I have a new problem with this setup. It doesn't work with HPS bulbs.

Today is day 80 in veg 18/6. I want to switch over to 12/12 but can I use the MH bulb? Do I need a new light system?

How big is the room?
How is it ventilated and air supply?
There's a lot of info. on this site for building a room and everything else you need to know.

You CAN use MH to flower but HPS is best. You should be almost finished BOTH veg and flower in 80 days.

The larger the wattage of the bulb the more heat it puts out.

Also for some reason MH generate more heat than a HPS of equal size.

I'm sure they is some techincal stuff to explain...

I would also look at your ventilation/extraction fan/inline etc to see if its suitable for the job !

The room is 10' x 13', it's a spare bedroom.

Venting is a open window and a room fan.

I put a 250W bulb in the 1000W ballast. I don't know what kind it is but it's heavy and gets real hot.

Looks like I need to come up with a better venting setup. Also the 250W bulb dropped the temp to normal room temps 78 degrees.

The room is 10' x 13', it's a spare bedroom.

Venting is a open window and a room fan.

You may need a 8" or 10" inline extraction fan to suitable vent a room that size either that i would look at air cooled reflectors/hoods.

At the end of the day you need to vent the warm/hot air out side of the grow area to help maintain temps & a carbon filter might be a good suggestion to keep odours low.

You will have to look into air intake also either by a passive means or active intake fan for constant fresh air exchange.

I put a 250W bulb in the 1000W ballast. I don't know what kind it is but it's heavy and gets real hot.

Looks like I need to come up with a better venting setup. Also the 250W bulb dropped the temp to normal room temps 78 degrees.

I hope you not using a single bulb to light a room that ?

Well today my ballast took a dump, the room temp dropped to 67. So that tells me the lights were the problem.

At the moment I have 4 plants growing "Northern Light x Big Bud, WW, Cheese, and Afgan Kush". I just took 4 clones from each of them last night.

I want to redo my room and could really use any suggestions I can get. I'd really like a setup like this
https://www.--------.org/hydroponics-aeroponics/6592-get-harvest-every-2-weeks.html

What light should I get? I also run a combo DWC/Drip setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe "Nubee"

Never ever put a smaller wattage bulb in a higher wattage ballast.
That aint safe

Yea found that out the hard way... lol..

I bought out a retired grower and picked up 3 600W hoods and 2 600W ballasts, 2- 3x3 EBB tubs, 1- 2x4 tub, PLUS 3 real can fans, and a ton of other stuff.

So I made a 2' muffler, my question is should I put the muffler on the intake or out? Should I mount it directly to the light or should I mount it away from the light?

Thanks to everyone !!!!!

Joe

Back
Top Bottom