newbie looking for help!

Dentu50

Greetings all! I'm a newbie, trying to grow. I just purchased a grow tent that is 4x2x5. I want to use cfls so power consumption stays under the "radar". I have a few questions to all those advanced growers out there....How many plants can I grow in my tent. 2nd, I was going to use round hanging shop lights with reflectors, with splitters so each one holds 4, 26w bulbs. I was going to have 3 of these in the tent...is that enough light? Also, do I need an exhaust fan with a carbon filter, and does it need to run constantly? I've been reading different peoples thoughts on growing, and the amount of light also confuses me a bit. Some say the lights should be on 24/7, some say 20 on, 4 dark until ready to bud, then most say 12/12. Which is the best, and when do you water them, when the lights are on or off. Thanks in advance for any help...being disabled, I've found out that having bud helps me cut down on the amount of pain pills I take, and I'm so tired of paying such high prices on the street.

Ok for lights, you can use CFLs, or LED. A smaller LED panel can actually use less power than the number of CFLs you plan to use.

I grew with 14 CFLs, a total of 361 watts, and switched to an LED that cost me $105 shipped, and my LED panel uses 150-170 watts now.

If you add up the cost of all the CFL bulbs, fixtures, splitters, and wires you'll need to purchase, compare those costs to an LED. These LEDs work great, they're a forum sponsor, and come with a 3 year warranty: Mars Hydro LED - the Best Solutions for Horticulture and Indoor Plants

Every opinion varies on how many plants that you can fit based on the growers personal growing preferences. For me, I like to grow my plants shorter, but wide, and I would grow 2 plants in a tent that size, with each plant taking up roughly 4 square feet of space. Total height on my current plant is 18" tall, and 2'x2', or 4 square feet.

Make sure the total current, and total wattage of all the bulbs do not exceed the rating of your cords, in wall wire gauge, and fuses/breakers.

If you need to grow without people smelling it, then I do suggest a filter. You can find nice cheap DIY projects on the forum by searching 'DIY carbon filter' and 'DIY carbon scrubber'
During Veg, the filter really doesn't need to be used. When you start to flower is when the smell gets stronger and you'll need to use it then. Early stages of flower you can get away with running the filter only when the lights are on, but as the plant matures, the smell gets stronger, and you may eventually need to run the filter 24/7.

As for light schedules, it depends on what plants you grow.

If you grow autoflowers, any light schedule will work. 12/12, 18/6, 20/4, 24/0.
If you grow Photo strains, the more common light schedules used are 18/6 and 20/4 for Veg, and 12/12 for Flower. Switching to 12/12 is what triggers the plant to start flowering.

I have read several experienced growers state that the plant produces hormones during the dark period, while it 'sleeps', so I personally only grow with 18/6 whether It's an Auto, or a Photo strain.

I prefer to water in the morning, shortly after lights on. Watering before the dark period can increase the chances of mold or fungus growing in your medium.

Your watering schedule, or frequency of watering, will all depend on what grow medium you choose, Soil, Coco, Peat, etc..

And this handy guide has helped me through my grows, and I still refer back to it when I need to look something up: How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

Hopefully this helps get you started a bit, if you have any more questions, just ask away!

And just to give you an idea, this plant has been grown under LED for its entire life. 11 weeks Veg, and 30 days in Flower now, it's just under 18" tall, and measures a little over 2' wide x 2' deep, approximately 4 square feet:

How many plants will depend on the growing style you choose, you could grow one large Plant, which would be trained with LST or super cropping, or sea of green 10 - 20 small clones.

You can grow with CFLS, if you are worried about energy consumption checkout the gas lantern technique, I am using it right now and so far I have had success.

Watering depends on your environment, typically you let your soil dry out between watering's, you do this by feeling the first few inches of soil if it feels dry then pick up the pot make note of the weight, then water, let it soak in then pick up the pot again, these will be your reference weights that will help you gauge your watering schedule, eventually you will know when is right for your environment.

Back
Top Bottom