Newbie question: Do buds always grow on the main stem or cola?

craiglgj

420 Member
Sorry for the seemingly simple question, but I couldn't find any clear photos or strain information for my concern.

I'm growing Pink Sherbet, which is a cookies cross; it's displaying all the signs of a sativa, but according to stats, it has more indica.

Growing in coco, and using an air pot - 7 weeks in veg prior.

I'm 3 weeks into flowering, might as well say 2 due to stunting from some late topping. I'm seeing plenty of white hairs on the tops and mid section, but nothing on the main cola at all. And as for the bottom 8 inches or so, it's just wasted space.

I guess I was just hoping for more bud sites... what do you all think, as I have read some strains don't flower on the main stem?

The lower portions of the plants that aren't receiving much light don't produce much of value (what people often refer to as "larf" or "cooking material"). Most people just remove it so that the plant can expend its resources on the portions that are well-lit.

I'm seeing plenty of white hairs on the tops and mid section

but nothing on the main cola at all.

But... Er... :hmmmm:

Still no main stem flowering; it's certainly weird. The calyxes are not even swollen on the main stem, and it seems everything on it below the topping is permanently disabled.

That being said, all the other colas grew by 25% and stopped growing soon after, so not a large stretch, but there is plenty of activity on the rest of the plant. It seems to be making up for what was lost on the main cola; all the energy is focused on the tops and the two colas that grew from the topping.

It's a rare occurrence, but I did read of one chap who had the same issue. I would personally advise for new growers going forward, and myself, that you should NOT top the plant during flowering, even on the first day of the flip as i did, as this could happen to you, but if it does, it's not a total loss as the buds will just be bigger on the new growth, theoretically.

Back
Top Bottom