Nft hydroponics

Smithy1101

420 Member
What are people options on the nft style of growing I have a 2x2x4 grow tent and I’m growing in 60/40 and want to grow a bigger plant but keep the same space, just wanted to know if they are better than soil growing?

My suggestion would be to grow dwc with an external reservoir with some kind of circulation. Use a short container and a small net cup. With a space that small, you will either have to flower as soon as the clone roots, use LST or SCroG methods to keep the plant maintainable. Good luck.

How would I build the dwc system also I have been looking at the 20l buckets dwc and I was wondering when the plant get large how do you change to water out without moving the plant around

There is a basic way of doing this by installing a sight tube. It only requires 4 parts. You can do a quick google search for "waterfarm". It's the blue tube on the side of the unit. You'll need a 1/2" waterfarm grommet, 1/2" 90 with single barbs for irrigation systems, 1/2" ID tubing (blue is best, clear will work), and a piece of wire or a small eye bolt with an eye big enough to fit the tube through. Drill your hole near the bottom of the bucket for the grommet, inline with one of the handle mounts. Put in the grommet, soap up and install the 90, and add the tubing to the other end of the 90. Cut the tubing half-way between the top of the lid and the handle mount. Remove the bucket handle, and attach the eye bolt or piece of wire. This secures the tube from accidentally getting knocked over.

To drain the nutrients, or test a sample, you simply lay the tubing over, and drain it. You can fill through this tube, or through the net cup.

I modified this basic setup by replacing the 90 with a "T" I kept the sight tube the same, but ran another length of tube from the "T" outside of the tent, added a shut-off valve, and garden hose repair quick-connect male to the end. This allows me to connect the tube to a reservoir, and fill by opening the valve until the desired depth is reached. To drain, I attached a hose to a 5 gallon bucket, with a spout lid. To drain, I connect the bucket to the quick-connect, open the valve, and put a vacuum to the spout of the bucket. Sucks the bucket dry in seconds. Then I just attach the quick connect to my fill reservoir, and fill the system to the desired level.

If you set up the advanced way, I can show you how to build a recirculating system that can up your 4 gallon capacity up to any size you like. I setup so that I can leave for a week on vacation, and everything functions without me. It also slows pH and EC swings, allowing you to get ahead of a change before it does serious damage.

Cheers mate that’s loads of help I am going to do this after my soil one has done in 6 weeks should I buy a dwc bucket with a tube already on so I can just add a couple bits instead of building myself

Cheers mate that’s loads of help I am going to do this after my soil one has done in 6 weeks should I buy a dwc bucket with a tube already on so I can just add a couple bits instead of building myself

If you have the tools, they're easy to make. You can always buy a complete bucket. You'll pay more, but I'm guessing you only need one for that space. You can find level kits with everything you need. Whatever works for you.

Back
Top Bottom