Nitrogen, calcium or another deficiency?

Heisenbergo

Hello everybody. I'm a first time grower and I encountered my first problem 2 days ago. My plants were just fine on Wednesday night and they were like this by Thursday night. They are 3 weeks from seed and I got them in a coco coir light mix (Blueberry, Euphoria and Orange Hill Special from Dutch Passion).

I figured they got to the point where the nutes provided by the light mix were not enough for them so I transplanted them to their bigger smart pots (4 gallons).

I will be using Advanced Nutrients Sensi Grow 2 part plan nute schedule but haven't fed them once yet since I'm waiting for the soil to dry up a bit (I had to water them after transplant and the soil is wet still).

Anyway, does it look like nitrogen deficiency to you? Should I be too worried? I got 3 plants and the two bigger ones show the same signs (the third and smaller one is fine for now). Some people suggested it could be calcium deficiency as well.

Also, I was planning to mix the nutes in a 2 gallon bottle once a week and use them when needed but someone suggested that mixed nutrients can react with each other and become a useless or even harmful soup if I let them sit for too long. I guess that's not the case with this specific nutrient line since they are supposed to be mixed anyway?

Thanks everyone for the help :)

Not sure what a coco mix is. If it's coco coir ( doesn't look like it) you should be adding nutes about full strength at that stage. But if it's something kind of soil I'm not familiar with I'd wait for some more help. It does look like a nitrogen deficiency. But not knowing exactly what's in your media It's hard to tell.

It is coco coir (I just added a bit of humus to it basically). So yeah, I started with nutes already. A few people on another forum suggested that they looked fine and it's common for the lower leaves to fall off eventually although I'm not sure if that happens so early.

The cotyledons will fall off and die when the plant doesn't need them anymore. The next set of leaves aren't really true leaves yet. On your 3rd photo it looks like you do have some type of speckling or something on the leaves. Maybe a closer look at that would give us a better idea. The new growth looks good tho, I would be more concerned about that. My current grow lost the same leaves that you are having issues with lost them and didn't stop nothing. It is nitrogen tho.j

Not sure about moisture retention with the hummus. I grow in just coco coir. I water 1gal a day regardless of soil moisture but wish I could do that 2-3 times a day but I've decided to move my grow into a different location than where I live. I would check on the water holding of the hummus, you could be getting much better growth watering everyday. With your next water I suggest you water untill you get 10-15% water runoff from your drain holes, with at least 1/2- full strength nutes. Some will chastise me for saying so but.... They aren't weeds, they are flowers. Weeds don't need nutrition, flowers do.

The cotyledons will fall off and die when the plant doesn't need them anymore. The next set of leaves aren't really true leaves yet. On your 3rd photo it looks like you do have some type of speckling or something on the leaves. Maybe a closer look at that would give us a better idea. The new growth looks good tho, I would be more concerned about that. My current grow lost the same leaves that you are having issues with lost them and didn't stop nothing. It is nitrogen tho.j

The speckles you are talking about are indeed there, but it's just a weird leaf patern that came with those first leaves. I could see the speckles when they were coming out so I doubt there's anything wrong with them. The new ones don't have them.

Not sure about moisture retention with the hummus. I grow in just coco coir. I water 1gal a day regardless of soil moisture but wish I could do that 2-3 times a day but I've decided to move my grow into a different location than where I live. I would check on the water holding of the hummus, you could be getting much better growth watering everyday. With your next water I suggest you water untill you get 10-15% water runoff from your drain holes, with at least 1/2- full strength nutes. Some will chastise me for saying so but.... They aren't weeds, they are flowers. Weeds don't need nutrition, flowers do.

I've been watering every other day and sometimes even everyday. I started with 25% strength nutes for now and I should start with 50% strength before Friday (because the soil gets dry so quickly).

Back
Top Bottom