Calcium or nitrogen deficiency?

pete2

I had a few leaves that I thought had calcium deficiency.I bought a calcium supplement and added it to my water supply.That was a few days ago.Since then the spots have gotten worse.Some body told me that if it wasn't a calcium deficiency that adding the calcium supplement might cause a nitrogen deficiency.Would you please tell me what you think it is.I don't want them to die.Here are some pics to look at. Someone also suggested that it could be mites.I looked at the back of several leaves but didn't see anything,but not sure what I'm looking for.I also have some dark spots on the roots,Don't know how to determine if I have root rot either.Do they die slow or pretty fast? I'm not sure.The plants seem to be heathly to me other than growing a little slow in my opinion.:thanks::thumb::thanks:
deficiency_8-7-2015_001.JPG
deficiency_8-7-2015_002.JPG
8-6-15_003.JPG
deficiency_8-7-2015_004.JPG
deficiency_8-7-2015_003.JPG

The first picture looks like nutrient burn. The other ones (except for the leaf with a hole in it) look like calcium deficiency.

The first picture looks like nutrient burn. The other ones (except for the leaf with a hole in it) look like calcium deficiency.

Thanks for your reply.I put a calcium supplement in it a few days ago.And it looks to me like it is getting worse.Would you have any suggestions about what to do? And what causes nutrient burn?

So glad you guys are around,I would be lost with out you.:thanks::thumb::thanks:

If it is calcium def it should show up in the new growth first. A calcium deficiency will lead to other nutrient deficiencies. The damaged leaves will not recover but if you've treated the problem the new growth should be free of symptoms. It's the white specks on the leaf mentioned that looks like mite damage- and the overall parched appearance.
What water do you use? did your plants have a source of calcium?

If it is calcium def it should show up in the new growth first. A calcium deficiency will lead to other nutrient deficiencies. The damaged leaves will not recover but if you've treated the problem the new growth should be free of symptoms. It's the white specks on the leaf mentioned that looks like mite damage- and the overall parched appearance.
What water do you use? did your plants have a source of calcium?

I use purified water and check the ph every day. It wasn't this bad a week ago.I thought that there was a calcium deficiency so I added a supplement a few days ago,and now it seems like it is getting worse.I mix the food as I have from the start.2 teaspoons per gal of water and I know there was nothing spilled on any of it.
I think what I should do is change the water and not put any nutrients or calcium supplement in it for a few days and see if that helps.Also I'm going to get a magnifying glass to check for mites.What do you think? Any suggestions would be appreciated:thanks::thumb::thanks:

By purified do you mean reverse osmosis (RO) water?
I just use rainwater which has no calcium. So I add cal mag supplement. Tap water apparently usually has plenty of calcium in it. Distilled water would have none. I don't know about RO water. Easy to google and normally I'd do that right now but I have to run off and do something right now. Is the brown spotting in the newer growth?

I think calcium deficiency (when the medium or water is deficient in calcium) shows up in the new growth, but it can also occur on old leaves of plants that 1) have specific leaves that aren't transpiring properly 2)are over fertilized (specifically with phosphates or nitrogen)

I'm not sure why certain leaves would be transpiring improperly, but the first picture with nute burn in it, seems to lead me to believe that it is a calcium deficiency due to too much phosphate.

Hola pete2!

It looks to me that the small spotting IS from Calcium Deficiency, from high ph. The leaf tips Not growing straight (like the middle leaf in pic 3) is a Tell tale sign of High ph. You mention you check ph often, but dont mention that you keep it at 5.8ish for Hydro, if you do, perhaps calibrate your ph meter?

The larger brown spotting looks to be where leaves have overlapped and transpired, which forms little magnifying glasses for the light to burn the leaf.

I dont see any evidence of N def, root damage, OR mites!

Good Luck! Your plants should recover with proper ph!

You won't be able to check the phosphate without a water test kit that tests for phosphates. And even, then if it tells you what percentage of your water is phos, that really won't tell you a whole lot unless you knew what it was before the problem started. Basically, if you are using one "line" of nutrients, a burn that presents itself like that is just telling you to back off the nutes a little in general. Just dilute the feed water a little more and if the issue resolves, then we know what it was.

Back
Top Bottom