Old guy newby, gonna need lots of help

grand daddy purp and jack herer(true jack herer) indica and sativa will grow well together side by side :)
both big plants though ;)

The finished room size ended up being 3.5' X 8' (walls & ceiling covered with Mylar) but my limiting factor will be the single Mars Hydro 96X3 for lighting. I had wanted to try 5 plants but you mention that the Grand Daddy Purp and Jack Herer are big plants...so would I still be able to grow 5 total, and if so, which other ones (out of the ones I have ordered) could be added to make for a happy 1st garden? I don't know if it is a lot more work growing different strains simultaneously, but remember..... I am a ROOKIE for sure.
Thank you for your replies.

On another subject all together, has anyone here tried their hand at building a LED light? It sounds like an interesting project for someone with a lot of time that likes to tinker. Are there any plans or threads out there that are any better that the rest?

Hey from a fellow vet and grower. I read over this entire thread which was a very good btw. You should start a journal so that you can take pics and we can help as we go through your grow. I am in sort of the same boat as you right now with setting up my current grow. I would like to produce at the very least 2 oz's a month perpetually so at the very least I need to harvest one plant a month to keep my households "habit" in check. Fortunately I have an established strain that I have grown in the past... (bagseed) but a very good producer for whats needed. I am currently in a 40"x40"x72" enclosure which I intend on using as solely a veg cabinet and getting a tent for my flowering. The 5 gallon smartpots you will enjoy as it is a great finishing pot to use. I don't know about your climate but start getting ready for setting your environment, like temps and RH so on.... This will be a key to a quality finished product. Get some fans in line, probably a humidifier and so on.... There are some people who are building LEDS on here, but for me I just let the professionals handle it. I grow with HPS and MH bulbs (HID) and had great success with it but considering the transition to LED although I need the heat of the hotter bulbs as my basement stays in the low 60's. Get up a journal so we can all follow, looks like you have a good start some good following and curious to see what you produce. Best of luck to you!!

The finished room size ended up being 3.5' X 8' (walls & ceiling covered with Mylar) but my limiting factor will be the single Mars Hydro 96X3 for lighting. I had wanted to try 5 plants but you mention that the Grand Daddy Purp and Jack Herer are big plants...so would I still be able to grow 5 total, and if so, which other ones (out of the ones I have ordered) could be added to make for a happy 1st garden? I don't know if it is a lot more work growing different strains simultaneously, but remember..... I am a ROOKIE for sure.
Thank you for your replies.

you can try five plants mate and just see how you go.
im not big on led lights maybe in another decade or so lol.
i prefer hps lamps.....i wouldnt dare veg my plants longer than 4 weeks under hps lighting.
better coverage and yield per square meter in my opinion.

Thank you for the replies. Ya gotta remember I just crawled out from under a rock and started studying for my first grow. It seemed like the general consensus was to go with LED's (for someone just starting out that needed to buy everything to set up,) so I chose the LEDS and will need to work with what I have. With that said.....I have noticed that this subject is somewhat debatable though :)
Thanks again.
My soil ingredients should be here today and probably tomorrow the 5 gallon smart pots should arrive. And it gets better!!! I got a notice from Herbie's that my order has been "dispatched." I'll probably have another 2 weeks so there won't be any excuses for not having everything ready to roll.

I believe I'm ready to roll. Had a nice airmail package at the P.O. today...the last piece of the puzzle.

These are what I have picked out for my first grow:
Grand Daddy Purp
Jack Herer (Green House)
Northern Lights (Royal Queen)
Ice (Nirvana)
Afghani regular (Herbies freeby) X 2
Delahaze (paradise) (Herbies freeby)

I plan on one of each except for the Afghani which I will put two in and hope for a female, the rest are feminized. (LIMIT of 6 plants)
Please let me know what you're thoughts are on this combo....is it going to be too much for a rookie? I have plenty of time to watch and tend to them, and hopefully you folks can guide me through. Have the 3" plastic round cups in the dishwasher right now, thought I'd spray them with Hydrogen Peroxide and have at it. I had asked for a soil recommendation earlier and SuperGroomer suggested Fox Farms Ocean Forest, PromixBX and Perlight ---equal parts. Do I use this same combo immediately even for germination?
Thanks in advance.

I believe I'm ready to roll. Had a nice airmail package at the P.O. today...the last piece of the puzzle.

These are what I have picked out for my first grow:
Grand Daddy Purp
Jack Herer (Green House)
Northern Lights (Royal Queen)
Ice (Nirvana)
Afghani regular (Herbies freeby) X 2
Delahaze (paradise) (Herbies freeby)

I plan on one of each except for the Afghani which I will put two in and hope for a female, the rest are feminized. (LIMIT of 6 plants)
Please let me know what you're thoughts are on this combo....is it going to be too much for a rookie? I have plenty of time to watch and tend to them, and hopefully you folks can guide me through. Have the 3" plastic round cups in the dishwasher right now, thought I'd spray them with Hydrogen Peroxide and have at it. I had asked for a soil recommendation earlier and SuperGroomer suggested Fox Farms Ocean Forest, PromixBX and Perlight ---equal parts. Do I use this same combo immediately even for germination?
Thanks in advance.

I say germ the seeds and go for it!!!!! :party::party::party::peace:

Hey guys and ladies. I'm 66 years old been using mj most of my life for ptsd pain and social anxiety disorder. I live in Daytona beach Florida. My connection has moved so I'm mj less. I realize this is a touchy subject and I hope it's not against the rules but I'm desperate. Is anyone willing to hook me up? I'd be eternally grateful for any help thx

Ptsd4me I'm old school what do you want. Not sure why you felt the need to put in your two cents, that's about all it was worth to me. Geez, I'm thinking if the police have nothing better than to Cruze (is that word ok with you?) the 420 site to make misdemeanor arrests this country is in trouble. Besides I think you read more into that than you should. But thanks

What country are you in? If you are in the US I thought Sara said all the 96x3 had been upgraded.:peace:

You were right after all Supergroomer, I did get the 96X5 according g to the company. All of the paperwork indicated 96X3 but they have been shipping the 5's since May I was told.

Back
Top Bottom