One ballast, two bulbs

Gelite

So I'm thinking about running two 600 watt bulbs on a 1000 watt transformer type ballast. I know they sell Y adapters to do this but I'm kind of a do it my damn self kinda guy. Lol. My question is do you wire the second bulb in series or parallel? Anybody know?

Re: One ballast, two bulbs.

How many novices u know that could even begin to tell you what series or parallel wiring is? It can be wired either way I just don't know how low u can drop the impedance on a ballast transformer. U say it can't be done but then u say it can. I've seen it done so that's not an issue. I dont think that rewiring a ballast is too far out of the realm of possibility for anyone that can make a proper connection. It's not like you have to sit there and baby sit it. I will either work or it won't. Any idiot can follow a simple diagram with instructions. If you wire in series it's as simple as "exposé the wires, on the existing fixture lead, cut the white wire, connect white wire to the black wire on new fixture, take white wire from new fixture and connect it to the black wire going back to ballast, if there is a ground/green wire splice the two together." It's not rocket science. As long as u use wire nuts or soldier you'll be fine. No offense but this is the "do it yourself" section right?

Actually I said you cannot fire two 600 watt bulbs off a single 1000 watt ballast. You need a 13.2 Amp surge to fire two 600 watt bulbs. Secondly, this is the grow lighting section, not the DIY section. Yes, any idiot can perform the actions you have stated. Likewise, any idiot can burn down their home or electrocute themselves. I'm not in the habit of giving advise on a ill conceived notion just as I don't give rope to a suicidal person. This is not something you should be risking your grow area/home/ or life over. Buy a second ballast or buy a dual bulb switchable ballast (they are made to do exact what you are asking for).

I wasn't trying to get you upset bro all I'm saying is is that it isn't that big a deal. People do it all the time. I mean they sell dual fixtures to do just what I'm talking about. When you say "surge" I'm gonna go out on a limb here and venture to say that you are referring to the start capacitor. If u are referring to a start capacitor then any electrical supply house will have a larger capacitor if needed but isn't a 13-13.5 start capacitor pretty much standard equipment. I guess it's time to break out the old trusty volt meter. Either way I've found that if a build is having trouble starting then u just flip the switch over to mh then to hps and that usually gets em started if there hot or whatever.

I'm not upset, I simply don't want to lose a member of the forums. The starting or firing of a bulb requires a higher initial input of power than normal running operation. The capacitor isn't nearly as important as the choke. Without the proper choke you will have a current runaway and cathode overheating. This WILL cause an explosion and breakage of the bulb with a high probability of fire shortly thereafter. In the short run, it's cheaper to buy one than it is to build it yourself. In the long run, it's cheaper to keep your house as is rather than to rebuild after a fire or remodel a section of the home. It really Isn't worth the risk and there are no standard systems out there that are easily converted. Either buy the special made dual ballast and deal with it's short comings or purchase two ballast. The money saved is far greater than the cost. If you simply want to tinker with electronics and ballast, this isn't the proper forum to get the in depth answers you may be looking for. I have engineers design the custom ballast that I need from time to time.

I done a quick search on ye ol faithful google...

It does appear a large number of growers house have been burnt to the ground due to faulty or tampered electrical work from news related articles !

Health & safety of person and home is most important if you wish to reach the grand old age of retirement & watching your grand children grow up :peace:

In my case it doesn't matter. My ballasts are outside my house in a fire proof metal box. I'm not too concerned about fire.

Okay, I don't have any advice on bulbs or ballasts because, of course, I'm an LED gal, but I had to say your thread title is too funny to pass up. I love the alliteration. Made me giggle :D

Back
Top Bottom