Organic Super Soil

Len Goodman

Seen this in the net thinking about a no nute grow with greyskull 2x plants, one exposed to uvb one not.
Super soil
1 large bag of happy frog
Mycorrhiza
Coco fiber
Worm castings 3.1-6.25 lbs
10 ounces of steamed blood meal
10 ounces of bat quano
10 ounces of blood meal
6 ounces of rock phosphate
1.5 tablespoons of epsom salt
1 tablespoon of sweet lime dolomite
3/4 teaspoon humic acid
1 table spoon of azomite 3 cups of water mix let sit for 30 days.

So it's basically Subcool's super soil with coco and other modifications. How much coco are you adding? This article says to use Subcool SS only in the bottom 1/3-1/2 of the pot. Good luck.

So it's basically Subcool's super soil with coco and other modifications. How much coco are you adding? This article says to use Subcool SS only in the bottom 1/3-1/2 of the pot. Good luck.

Yes you have to give the plant time to be a seedling before it hits everything.

Yeah that's what I figured. How much coco are you using? Also, you have steamed blood meal & blood meal. I'd use one or the other, not both, and instead substitute one of those for bone meal. Bone meal for the phosphorus and blood meal for the nitrogen.

Personally, I'd remove those.
Under what justification, please? As stated above, this is basically a simplified version of subcool's recipe that already leaves out a couple of things that I would add, and I would instead suggest adding them and not changing the recipe in a fundamental way by substituting in a non soil such as Happy Frog instead of the Roots Organic or Ocean Forest that is usually recommended. As originally submitted, I do not think this soil mixture will compost correctly and I predict pH troubles as the moss in the Happy Frog begins to break down in the middle of the grow.

Under what justification, please? As stated above, this is basically a simplified version of subcool's recipe that already leaves out a couple of things that I would add, and I would instead suggest adding them and not changing the recipe in a fundamental way by substituting in a non soil such as Happy Frog instead of the Roots Organic or Ocean Forest that is usually recommended. As originally submitted, I do not think this soil mixture will compost correctly and I predict pH troubles as the moss in the Happy Frog begins to break down in the middle of the grow.
So your saying no happy frog?

This was not labeled on a sight it was a vid I just wrote happy frog. If you got a good soil if you don’t mind sharing let me see.

@Emilya Why do you consider FFHF to be a non-soil? It's got aged forest products, earthworm castings, peat moss, bay guano, and other things. FF has it listed on their website as a potting soil.

I have some HF, peat moss and top soil. In my opinion, HF is not mostly peat moss. But let's say it is; how is that different than Roots Organic? Per their website the ingredient list starts like this:
Perlite, Coco Fiber, Peat Moss, Composted Forest Material....etc.

Seems like it's got more non-soil ingredients than HF. I use top soil from my local hardware store in and around my garden. It has 3 ingredients: aged forest products, peat moss and sand(10% max). It's what I used as the basis of my own version of a less-than-super soil ;)

I have some HF, peat moss and top soil. In my opinion, HF is not mostly peat moss. But let's say it is; how is that different than Roots Organic? Per their website the ingredient list starts like this:
Perlite, Coco Fiber, Peat Moss, Composted Forest Material....etc.

Seems like it's got more non-soil ingredients than HF. I use top soil from my local hardware store in and around my garden. It has 3 ingredients: aged forest products, peat moss and sand(10% max). It's what I used as the basis of my own version of a less-than-super soil ;)
Your point is exactly why I didn't just use RO101 as my base... I added some good real organic soil to it, FFOF.
I don't care to argue about this. Opinions were asked for, and I gave you mine, with my reasons for having them. Mark my words, a soil based on sphagnum moss and peat will eventually go acidic and become unusable, but of course you are welcome to try this yourself and see how you do. When you get 3/4 of the way into your 2nd grow and cant figure out why you are having negative pH drift and problems with nutrition, remember this conversation.

Not trying to argue, just trying to understand. It's all good. :Namaste:

Not trying to argue, just trying to understand. It's all good. :Namaste:
Understood, and sorry to be so rushed with that last answer... I am at work and got a little curt. The key working word in modern parlance today is sustainability. A soil build based on peat and moss will eventually break down and will not sustain the qualities needed for the long term. To build a sustainable soil that can be amended periodically and used over and over again, you need to stay away from peat and moss.

Back
Top Bottom