Orland Extends Pot Dispensary Ban

Weedpipe

420 Member
California - Orland's ban on medical marijuana dispensaries, collectives and cooperatives will remain in force through Dec. 6.

The City Council this week unanimously approved extending the ban while the courts review laws enacted by other cities like Anaheim.

State legislators also are looking at legalizing recreational marijuana, and that could impact the laws in the future, city attorney Tom Andrews said.

In December, the council opted to keep the ban going another 45 days, but declined to pass a proposed ordinance on the issue, Andrews reported.

Discussion came up in the fall after a nonprofit medicinal marijuana corporation applied for a business license in downtown Orland.

Andrews quickly developed an interim moratorium on such operations, citing health and safety concerns. He added the city had been in the process of developing a marijuana ordinance, but the application came up before it was finished.

California code allows for urgency measures to be approved under an interim zoning ordinance without having to follow the procedures otherwise required prior to the adoption of a zoning ordinance, a report from Andrews said. That urgency measure was approved in October and re-approved Dec. 7.

The recently extended ban will last 10 months and 15 days and prohibit any of the above facilities from coming inside the Orland city limits during that time.

This ban does not stop patients with a doctor's recommendation from using marijuana for medicinal purposes, nor does it stop physicians from recommending this treatment under the guidelines of Proposition 215, city officials said.

However, some California cities that have allowed such dispensaries, collectives and cooperatives have had problems when they were located near schools, daycare centers, residential properties and so on, Andrews said.

Illegal drug activity, burglaries and robberies have occurred around some dispensaries, he said.

Cities like Corning are dealing with these facilities at this time, Andrews added, and Redding may be in the future since it approved an ordinance allowing such activities. But it is too soon to see what problems might arise in Redding, he said. The Redding ordinance regulates where medical marijuana facilities are located along with the number that can come there.

Councilman Bruce Roundy said Corning is in the middle of the controversy and is trying to figure out what to do.

"We are not," Roundy said. "It is a good idea to wait until December and see what happens."

Vice Mayor Jim Paschall asked, "What we have now keeps them out?"
Andrews replied, it does.

Andrews also said the city would not have to draft another interim ordinance. It could simply extend the current one on a new motion from the council, and it passed unanimously.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: Orland Press Register
Author: Rick Longley
Copyright: 2010 Freedom Communications

So, for those of you who dont happen to live in small town Tractorville, USA, I humbly submit the following:

And so it goes, along the I-5 corridor, from Sacramento to the northern border. By the way, up towards the border you pass thru another small town called Weed, but alas, Weed doesnt care for weed either. How sad is that? Anyway, one small grease spot in the road town after another, all waiting to see what the big dogs down south are going to do ie; LA, San Diego, Anaheim. Anaheim? Oh yea, I forgot about them. Meanwhile, our small time, small town Councils, spewing forth their bureaucratic rhetoric while attempting to appear leaderish are doing nothing more than "waiting for the big dogs to eat". You have to understand, small town politics require you don't do anything unless forced or some other metropolitan-type county does it first. It's called the CYA clause. Refrain from acting individualistic otherwise you could wind up individualistically unemployed and there would go your "man about town" status.

In places like Orland (the original small town Tractorville, USA) the biggest decision these council members have to make is whether or not they need order a new Pumpkin Festival banner to hang over main street this year.

A city attorney in Orland? For what? As far as I know, when the only stop sign in town fell over last year and broke the leg of poor luckless Harry, a local resident who happened to be rolling his prize pumpkin down the sidewalk on his way to the Greater Orland Pumpkin Festival, the whole affair was settled out of court. The town made Harry an honorary Pumpkin Judge, gave him a year's free admission to the local Orland Swap Meet and a shiney new brushed aluminum cane, to be given back once he healed, of course. Luckless Harry was then known around town as Lucky Harry...

City Attorney Tom Andrews from the good town of Orland, population 5,000, minus a 1000 or 2 when the migrant farm workers leave town every winter, you now have your 15 minutes of fame. Use it wisely City Attorney dude.

Councilman Bruce Roundy. His nickname should be "Roundy-round". After all, he did admit he "Doesnt know really know what to do". Bruce, youre sounding somewhat lost which can't be comforting for the town folks, unless they know you personally and collectively feel, "Well, yuk yuk, that's just our Bruce!" When I wrote this part, i imagined a crowd of Howdy Doody look-a-likes, complete with puppet strings, gathered in the town square. Is that wrong?

And finally, the Weedpatch chair recognizes the honorable Vice-Mayor Jim Paschall who asked the big question: “What we have now keeps them out?” And there it is folks, in a nutshell and I might add, home grown in the wonderful Orland orchards. It's the we's vs the thems. I'm not sure who the we's include other than the Orland Council but I know who the thems are. I suppose it's alway good to know your place. One wonders, why the "we's' and the "thems" cant somehow work together to benefit the "everybodies"...? :peace: MF

Someone help me understand. California has had medical MJ for over a decade, but the fight continues. What's up with that. Is it hate, or ignorance without compassion?

see Medifreddie's post. it says it all.

The corn cobs in their back pockets make them irritable when sitting on the bench in the Town square?
They are farmers with nothing else to do?
Everybody needs a cause to fight for?
Change, good or bad scares us?

All of the above?

I think he's saying, That you cant have a battle of wits with an unarmed man, Or something to that effect. :roorrip:

The war over mmj up here in Orland, Chico, Corning, and Red Bluff is being waged by a handful of ancient city council members, singlehandedly taking on thousands of mmj users while wielding their power over zoning laws and city/county ordinances designed to control legal growing and distributing logistics.

This is their loophole in the law and they're shamelessly flaunting it. Since mmj dispensaries and collectives and cooperatives have never been written into any zoning laws, they hold us with the rhetoric that if it isn't mentioned or allowed in the zoning laws, then it is illegal, effectively shutting down any attempts at safe access to mmj, and drastically abbreviating the size of the area allowed for an outside garden as well as how many watts one may use in a single household for an indoor grow. They pick arbitrary numbers out of their empty heads with authority!

It is a shame that a handful of self-righteous folk can hobble the rest of us like they do with their ignorant zoning laws and ordinances, and should be as unconstitutional as limiting the amount one may grow or possess as in the California Supreme Court ruling in the People vs. Kelly case that took precedence today. By restricting things like garden area and wattage, they in effect DO limit how much one can grow. This must not be allowed!

MeddieFreddie, you are spot on with your post. I couldn't have said it better had I tried....:peace:

Someone help me understand. California has had medical MJ for over a decade, but the fight continues. What's up with that. Is it hate, or ignorance without compassion?

It IS HATE, born from Fear, sired by Reefer Madness. I've been to the city council meetings. If looks could kill, every one of us mmj advocates would have left the building in body bags. It didn't matter how polite we were, or how we respectfully spoke our truth--you could see in their eyes that they thought we were all dirty addicts, dope heads, criminals, worse.......isn't prejudice against the law? We ARE being discriminated against.

So explain to me how the new types of industries get started when their has been no zoning laws before to support their types of industries... So how did the other industries get their zoning laws change . Do all new industries go threw moratoriums' against them sometimes lasting years. I bet not... I also bet that 58% of voters did not approved them like marijuana. I also have a thought about new language that should be added to any deregulations of marijuana laws. Have wording added to make it a law that when a government official make a statements like. "However, some California cities that have allowed such dispensaries, collectives and cooperatives have had problems when they were located near schools, daycare centers, residential properties and so on, Andrews said. If he would have used facts and a fair and balance statement. His statement would have sounded something like this. Some residents have complained about collectives Being so close to their homes and schools, but there is no facts to confirmed that their is a raise in crime or criminal elements. We have to support their rights to do business and 58% of the voters passed law saying that they have right to exist and I support the law and the will of the people has spoken.... I am really getting tired of this type of rhetoric when their is no facts to back up these statements...I have look hard for facts to back up these statements and can't find them... And since they have used blatant out right lies against Marijuana. Maybe We should throw in this language as a way of saying we heard all of the lies and we are tired of it. Poetic justice I say...
:peace:

It IS HATE, born from Fear, sired by Reefer Madness. I've been to the city council meetings. If looks could kill, every one of us mmj advocates would have left the building in body bags. It didn't matter how polite we were, or how we respectfully spoke our truth--you could see in their eyes that they thought we were all dirty addicts, dope heads, criminals, worse.......isn't prejudice against the law? We ARE being discriminated against.

Sad, very sad. I guess we waste the air we breath. Ingnorance without compassion is the word of the day class. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom