Outdoor Greenhouse

Stargazer32862

I'm sorry if any of you have already answered this question. I get lost on this website. I have always been curious about how people can grow things in a greenhouse in the middle of winter. Isn't it too cold outside? I know they are in a plastic or some other covering. But since there's no heat, how can the plants survive?

That's a great question and I would love to see some of the answers. I have been contemplating doing the same thing. I would love to get a jumpstart on veggies when we get the garden going.

I have a 1000w HPS with an old school ballast that emits a ton of heat. I just figured I would run that when we get the seeds sprouted.

I have always wondered about that. Especially when I saw my mom put frozen water-filled bands around her tomatoes to get them an early start. She used to place cut-out plastic milk jugs over them when it was going to have a late frost. It just frosted here again a few days ago. I hate it when Mother Nature starts up spring and then she says, "Just kidding!"

So you're absolutely right, you need heat in a greenhouse to grow anything in winter. Hoop greenhouses are easy to build for summer use, and they give some protection against frosts in spring and fall, as well as keeping the rain off during the weeks leading up to harvest. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom